Hybrids: Tubes in Pre or Power section?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ReginaldBisquet, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

I'm scouring Craigslist for a decent 50+ watt tube amp of some sort and I've run across two types of hybrid amps. Several that use a 12AX7 (or some sort) in the pre but feature solid state power... while another (the Peavey VT Classic) uses a solid state pre and 6L6 in the power section.

Of the type types, which is recommended for rock and blues and why?

2. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

tubes in pre would be much better,,,warmer more organic more pleasing and harmonically rich.

But I must say why even consider a Hybrid? Tube all the way Bro!

3. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

Hey! You're in Houston! Are you allowed to have visitors?

4. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

I don't have a store front, but you can call me and we can talk tubes!

Joshua (713)471-5408

5. motis1953

motis1953 Member

You can pick up old Music Man amps pretty cheap. Johnny Winter still uses them if I'm not mistaken. I believe they have solid state front ends and a tube power section. I've had 3 throughout the years and they sound very good considering they're only 1/2 tubes.

6. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

This advise is absolutly wrong if your looking for an amp with tube feel and tone,power tubes makes all the difference in this capacity....If you don't believe me try a Musicman or Peavey amp with tubes in the power and solid state pre,they feel and sound like a tube amp,completly opposite for the hybrid tube preamp amps they sound like solid state amps.Warmer?,not even close

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

It's true - most of the tube mojo comes from the power section and its interaction with the speaker.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  8. jzero

jzero Member

Agreed. Best tone from tube amps comes from jacking the master volume up (power tubes) and increasing gain (preamp) from zero to the sweet spot.

I have a Hybrid Vox Valevetronix and despite the ads, doesn't have the tube vibe. I like it still, but no compressed, creamy tube vibe.

9. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Must... have... both...

10. doc

doc Member

Felt the need to chime in here. Both types can sound good, but it depends on what you're after. My Legend amp is tube pre, SS power and sounds great for ZZ Top, Marshallesque distorted tones. No power tube "sag" though. I've played the Peavey hybrids, and they have a great clean sound, a lot like a Fender. If you're looking to get your distortion from the amp, I'd probably go with the tube pre, and that's what I'd choose for most modern styles. If you want nice organic cleans and/or get your distortion tones from a pedal, get the tubes in the power section. The "feel" of the amp with the tubes in the power section is more tubelike. I'd probably go with the second option for most traditional blues, pop, jazz, and some classic rock. Bottom line is, you need a guitar, a cord, a wall socket, and an amp.

11. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

This is great advice guys.... I'm going to be checking out a Peavey VTX Heritage this weekend - four 6L6 in the power section.

Will let you know what happens.

12. Pickmaster

Pickmaster Member

Mr. Shane Dolman (UK) builds butic hybrid amps with tube preamp, ONE 6V6 class A power amp and FET transistor after power section which can go from 50 watt to 500 watt. Very light weight and sounds great. Probably the best hybrid design of all.