Hyde side of Jekyll and Hyde

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by norumba, Feb 22, 2009.

1. norumba

norumba Supporting Member

i hear a lot of nice things and descriptions of the TS side of the Vs J&H, but i havent read many impressions of the heavier side of the unit. Can some people voice their thoughts?

2. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

I dig mine (older generation red one). Lots of useful gain options there. Mine isn't on my board at the moment (takes up too much space), but it will be again at some point, i'm sure. I read somewhere that it's voiced off a proco rat, but i dunno about that.

I don't like the TS side of that pedal at all.

cheers,
    wade

3. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Actually it's based on a Marshall Shredmaster.

4. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

That makes a whole lot more sense, given the sounds one can get out of it. And it explains why i like my BYOC shredder (shredmaster clone) a whole lot, too (although they do sound a bit different). :rotflmao

FWIW, the J&H was bumped by the shredder and an old menatone KOTB.

cheers,
    wade

5. storm319

storm319 Member

The Jekyll is based of a TS808 and the Hyde side is based of the Marshall Shredmaster. I think the Hyde side is unusable by itself because it is so scooped but sounds fantastic boosting the Jekyll side.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I first bought one of the silver ones, used. I LOVED the Jekyll (unless I am confused, I think the jekyll is the OD side, Hyde is the distortion...also as I remember it was nice-Dr. Jekyll, and wild Mr. Hyde so that would match) on the silver, it just had something wondeful. I liked the Hyde side also, but later on I bought a second one, this time a red one with the enhanced features, suddenly I found on that one I LOVED the distortion, but didn't quite like the OD side as much...

The settings make a huge difference. I remember having it for quite a while before I really tried turning up that one knob quite a bit, for "metal" like sounds and really liking it.

They are very nice, solid pedals. My H2O is the BEST chorus, and I also love the delay in it (they call it echo, but...).

People (me included) complain about the footprint (not crazy about the aesthetics of it either) being too big, but it once was pointed out to me that it took up less space than two Boss sized pedals especially when you take into account the patch cord making them have to be further apart than their dimensions...plus the added benefit of only using one power out to two pedals.

Sorry for going beyond the original question, I just really like the VS series pedals, at least the Jekyll & Hyde, and H2O, and very much like the buffers in them.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Have you tried the Red one? Just wondering because with the scoop knob (what's it called?) I remember dialing down tha scooped sound quite a bit..in fact I felt like I could get the two sides to sound pretty similar (not exact but close).

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Good points. I have the J&H V2, and it is a fantastic pedal. The distortion side (Hyde) can get very scooped, but that isn't the only thing it can do. It can do mid distortion for a good growly classic rock type of sound. The footprint is bigger than most single pedal units, but you are getting two pedals in one, and that saves you a power connector, and patch cable, so in the end you get more advantages than not.

This is the kind of pedal that I would place late in my dirt section so that you can stack the overdrive with other pedals.

This J&H pedal is so versatile that you can use for clean blues, all-out metal, or you can even set it to sound like a muff inspired fuzz, it is brilliant! Go to the Visual Sound website and check the sound samples, they will give you a good idea of what the pedal can do. I say good idea because the pedal sound better in person than in the clips.

9. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I can't speak for the later versions but I still have the original silver J&H and I actually like the Hyde side better than the Jekyll side with a Strat. More beefy but a little harder to dial in. I ususally keep the EQ knob somewhere around the middle and the mid content is just about right for me. For leads I go more left and for rhythm more right. The Hyde side does take a lot more tweaking and I find myself having to adjust the Tone knob, Gain knob, and sharp/blunt switch in conjunction with the EQ knob depending on the rig. Never been crazy about the home plate look.

10. mowatsmith

mowatsmith Member

I used to love the Jeckyll side of that pedal. Ultimately the switch broke on the Jeckyll side and I begrudgingly soldered out the switch from the Hyde and swapped 'em. When that one crapped out too, I bought a Wampler Pinnacle.

11. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

+1 here. while my J&H is no longer on my board, my H20 most certainly is. I stumbled on it while looking for a delay pedal, and borrowed one from the local axe shop overnight. well, while i found the echo "usable", the chorus BLEW ME AWAY. i bought it the next day based on the chorus alone. i've since grown enamored of the echo as well, but i don't use chorus much in my band and it's taking up a LOT of space solely for the echo.

to top it off, the LED on the chorus died. i've replaced the LED and the switch and it's still dead. i suppose i could send it to VS for repair--they've been more than helpful and friendly, but it's just kinda annoying and i don't really want to sink any cash into it (it's way out of warranty). one of these days i'll have some time to troubleshoot it.

IMO, the hyde side of the J&H is GREAT for getting AC/DC tones, as well as other "classic rock" sorts of sounds.....and i'm SURE it'll be back on my board again at some point.

cheers,
    wade

12. norumba

thanks everyone for all the input... seems like an interesting choice. Looking for something that i can feed the light to medium boosts from the SD twin tube classic either into or out of. This could be a versatile setup.

Not really fond of the mid-scoop sound, but it seems like you can dial around that.

does it clean up well with volume knob roll-off?

Now that intrigues me -- i was thinking reading through the posts that the only thing really lacking would be true muff like sustain. How close can it get to that territory, or do i still need something else to cover that?

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I'm also one of the people who didn't use the JECKYL side of the pedal.. Almost all over the net though I read stories of people loving that side, but very little about the HYDE.. .Meanwhile, I loved the HYDe from day 1 on my Silver J&H. I ended up writing to Bob Weil(sp?) at that point many years ago asking if he'd just make the Hyde in a small square or rectangular pedal and he said that he wasn't going to at that point.. Years later (many years!) he came out with the son of Hyde standalone now and I have 2 of them... 1 is always at every gig and 1 is a backup. I'm really glad... They have the builtin noise gate now , as previously it was a bit noisy.. They have a great mids feature (the best of any pedal pretty much that I own ) so they can be dialed in with MANY different amps. If someone were to ask me SOUNDWISE/TONEWISE what the Hyde is modelled after I can't tell you . . I've had Rats and they're similar but nah... . I have a Shredder clone and like that , but like the Hyde more. (For my needs) Even if the Hyde is modeled after the Shredmaster, my Shredder (Hell Razer brand) is not that close in function to me . The Hell Razer has more bloom and sustain,etc but the Hyde has much more glassy hi-end and crunch. .

Anyway , I never tried the Red version of the J&H (J&H II?) but finally he did release the standalone Hydes. . . . I'm not saying that this pedal is for everyone by any means, nor am I saying it's the best ever, etc, as I love MANY pedals, but I love the son of Hyde a lot . Still have a Silver Jeckyl and Hyde come to think of it!

Eric

14. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Hey Eric, how does the Son of Hyde compare with the silver Hyde? I love my silver model and it's been on my board for years, but if the Son is as good or better, I wouldn't mind saving the extra real estate.

15. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

The Son is as good or better for sure. IF you don't use the Jeckyl side I'd recommend it. There's nothing at all worse about it . Since it has an abundance of bass, it actually has an internal adjustment that works very well to taylor it to your needs. I hate interal adjustments but in this case it was worth it. INstead of the old 'contour' control (I think that's what it was called) it's now 'mids' and it's great. It's got a built in noise gate you can set internally for a couple of different levels or turn off (which also is an improvement) and the switch is a really nice switch now.

I think it's the kind of pedal someone will either love or hate, but not many in betweeners (imo) .. I bought both of mine in MINT shape but used on ebay for 70.00 each tops.

Eric

16. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

THE NEW JH pedal has a mid pot on the hyde side...i think the hyde is much more usable than the jeckyll...the jeckyll is just to nasally

17. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Well, while you can get muff like sounds, you do not quite get the same sustain. I have Blackout Effectors Musket and it will spank the J&H at Muff sounds, but then again, it will spank pretty much every other Muff out there...

If you get a chance, checkout the sample sounds at their website, that should give you an idea of what the pedal sounds like.

18. norumba

i have, and its very very much on my list!!! was thinking of the wicker, but i liked the smoother articulate response , comparing the videos... however, i think it will have to wait on my list :(

19. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

The Wicker is a good pedal, however, the Musket will wipe the floor with it. When my Musket came, I went to my local store to compare it to the Wicker, and I could not believe the difference. While the wicker was able to hang with it, it couldn't match the sustain, the creaminess, the volume, the growl, the attack, well, pretty much everything. There was not one thing you could do with the Wicker that the Musket didn't do better, well, price perhaps would be the thing that comes to mind.

However, if you have a budget, the Wicker is an excellent pedal. The Musket is just better.

The J&H will not hang with either pedal at Muff sounds. While it can do muff, it can't match the real thing, much less the Musket, but then again, that isn't what the pedal is for. Neither the Musket nor the Wicker can match the J&H in volume, presence, chugga (he he), or versatility when used as distortion.

20. norumba

thats a perfect sum of what i needed to know, thanks... what it, and all the other posts, gives me is that i really dont need the chugga , marshally type of grind/distortion that the hyde side does.... i think, for my needs, the seymour duncan TTC that i have , in conjunction with the jekyll TS ( route 808)component in the single unit, should cover my range. ill have to save the musket for the next round of acquisitions.

youre a fan of the seymour duncan TTc as well, i believe -- how would you stack the route 808 with that?