Hyped up amps - the 65 London...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RichSZ, Aug 1, 2005.

1. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Yep, there's a reason there's a lot of hype about this amp. Finally had my first chance to play one and it was sweet.

I really couldn't decide which channel I liked better 'cause both had some superb qualities about them.

A buddy of mine just picked up a 2x12 combo (Hey Dan, it was JJ's) and I had a chance to run my R9 through it. I only had about 20 minutes with it but it made me want more.

Similar, but certainly not the same as my 18 watt Marshall clone, the London had a little more versatilty and it sounded like the bottom was a bit bigger too. Held together very nicely playing those low notes & screamed with the lead tones. The boost on the EF86 channel will send you to rock-n-roll nirvana!

Had the thing cranked and the noise was almost non-existent.

I guess everything I'm saying about the amp has been said before, but Im gald I had a chance to demo it. If I had more time I'm sure many more cool tones would have been had!

-Rich

2. studio8000

studio8000 Supporting Member

hey Rich, cool to hear you liked the amp. i'm diggin my heads. i'm wondering about the combo you tried out... did you notice any cabinet vibration noise coming through when playing it? i have heads with 2x12 cabs, but i was thinking of putting them into combo cabs to save space. i know sometimes with combos vs head/cab there can be extra vibration on the chassis and tubes. any problems there?

3. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I was really impressed with it. I think about it daily!

I wish I'd had my Trem Cat there to a/b with it... I bet the ef86 side is pretty similar....

4. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Nope..didn't hear any errant noises with the 65. I have a bit of rattling tube noise with my 18 watt clone, so I was listening for it, but the only noise out of the amp was me playing. The combo was about as heavy as I would expect it to be with 2 12" speakers.

-Rich

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Not a 65 but I had some vibration problems with my 18 watter but its been gone through and is totally out now. Those can be boogers.

You gotta love low powered amps. Hope you have may tone filled years with your new rig.

6. webb

webb Member

Got to try one at Cowtown guitars. I think they still have it. Killer voxy amp. Channel one gets that extra saturation like an ac15. Channel 2 is ac30land, big and chimey to dirty all with the volume control. Can get very loud.
    webb:)

7. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I love my 65. What's not to like. One side is all Vox AC15/30 vibe and the other side is full on plexi tone at a perfect volume level. I love this amp and will have it for a long time.

Chuck

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Procos that PRS IS GORGEOUS DUDE.

9. Duesenberg*USA

Duesenberg*USA Member

I have played them and there sweet. The one thing I like about them is the full sound, yet never muddy. It's a great British sounding amp, with much more room. I have a few artists playing them and along with our guitars and this combo is sweet. www.duesenbergusa.com

10. studio8000

hey DuesenbergUSA... i just got one of your Starplayer tv's in sparkle finish. should arrive this week. i'm looking forward to using that through my 65's.

11. Duesenberg*USA

Duesenberg*USA Member

Thats great, Dan from amp 65 has one in his shop plus one of our bass'es. You must of gotten yours from FL. Jerry is a great guy, I hope you like your new Doozy.

12. studio8000

yep, jerry was great to deal with. i didnt see your guitar last time i was at Dan's shop. but that was over a month ago and really late at night, so we only used an old Les Paul. i'm going to try to stop by his shop sometime again soon. i'll let you know how i like the guitar, i played several at Westwood music and really liked the sounds an the unique tone knob.

13. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

I've had mine for about 3-4 months now and it's put a serious damper on my amp GAS. I really haven't been very interested in other amps for a while. It just suits my style and band so well.

I am in line for a Swart amp though cause I'd like a grab n go amp with verb.

14. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Which PRS are you talking about? I might be interested in selling it.

Thanks,

Chuck

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

The Aqua one. I'm a little tight on cash right now but I'll check back with you when I'm not.