Hypothetical guitar research...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Alse1829, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Alse1829

Alse1829 Member

I like to get educated on subjects that I’m not well versed in, so let’s discuss this posts topic:

“Semi-hollow bodies” (that fit the bill)

I have been looking around at all manners of semi-hollow body guitars from different companies, but have yet to come up with a solid conclusion. I hoping the expansive knowledge of TGP members can chime in.

What makes a good semi-hollow body guitar? (Aside from the norms of guitar building)

I have looked deeper into (ie: not played) Gibson midtown, Reverend Airsonic, Jennings voyager/ Catalina.

Visually, I prefer the Jennings models. I also like that I can get satin finished necks (which I much prefer over painted). Scale length isn’t an issue either way and smaller body is preferred. What would you recommend to look at and why?

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I’ve tried many and owned a few Gibsons.. my fave hands down is my Heritage 555... Maple 3 piece neck! Ebony board...Adds stability and a faster response. Maple ply body..fantastic Electronics and Duncan 59 pickups stock.... they can be had for very reasonable prices used because they are not Gibsons.. ironically they are made in the old Gibson factory using the original Gibson machinery by the old Gibson craftsman that built all the original guitars from the 50’s 60’s 70’s And early 80’s..You would think that they would be worth more considering all of this.. The workmanship on this guitar is simply unbelievable .. ..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  3. Stratman Dan

Stratman Dan Member

Question: "What makes a good semi-hollow body guitar? "

Answer: The person playing it.

Just get a 335 and move on. Its not like you will regret it, or not be able to sell it..

Sacrifice and Moby Dick like this.
  4. Alse1829

Alse1829 Member

That thing is gorgeous!

The person playing it is what can make the music sound good, the guitar itself can assist or hinder that person.

I am just curious about the differences of what can make a semi-hollow a good or bad guitar.

Also, I am looking for other suggestions to see what options are recommended in this category.

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Thank you concerning the Heritage.. I bought it because of the tone and great neck, but yes it is a looker.. Fanciest guitar I’ve ever owned.
    .. many folks like the Eastman 335’s as a cheaper alternative to Gibson but good quality 335...on the higher end of the spectrum, Collings makes all solid wood versions, but your looking in the $4500 range with those.. never played an Eastman or Collings. I Have no opinion ..the sub guitarist in one of my bands plays a stock Epiphone Studio 335 . Satin finish.. I think they are $250 used.. good sounding guitar.... the thin finish helps the tone of that ....lots of guitarists are happy with the other Epi 335’s.. I think their finish is to thick, although the newer ones are much better quality with thinner finishes than the older versions....
    I’d go play a bunch of different ones..find the one that has that elusive thing we look for in a guitar. The one that speaks to you..
    their construction is all very similar.. laminated body, mahogany or maple neck. 24 5/8” Gibson scale.. set neck.

6. Alse1829

Alse1829 Member

@Rod thank you for the information. Unfortunately, there are a few models that I would like to look into but are nowhere to be found in my area.

I’ll keep on digging until I find the “one”.

7. derekd

derekd Member

Not always.

I've played 335s that were brilliant and others I wouldn't own.

Note the jack is not on the face of the Heritage. There are also important construction differences between the two. I have a Gibson 339 I adore, but there are other builders doing as good if not better job than Gibson, especially with the 335.

That's one of the great things about the era we are in, so many excellent choices.

8. Ejay

Ejay Member

Honestly...finding a good one is a lotery.
    No clue what makes the difference...I know it when i hear/feel it.
    All the usual suspect brands make decent ones...but budget brands also make decent guitars....so thats not what your looking for...

I love the ones I own (Obvioulsy)
    A 1964 Gibson ES 120T
    Others of the same model were ok, but not what I find in this one.

Gibson byrdland 76
    Special guitar to me. I played one other byrdland which im confident would have been equally good after a good setup

I visit a shop with silly amounts of archtops/hollows...ussually I try them all:

Gibson 335s...obviously an iconic model...but I have never ran into one that I wanted to take home. (New or vintage) A friend owns a vintage one that is great though.
    Collings... beautifully build...but I wasnt impressed by sound / playabilty at all tbh
    eastman...I played 3 t64v...al were tempting to buy...defenitley check those.
    80s Yamaha and ibanez often are really good instruments...worth checking

9. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

I have two Eastman thinlines that have squelched my gas.

10. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

I've never seen those before, but the Jennings Catalina is really cool. Looks exceptionally comfortable and screams to be picked up.