Hypothetical Setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by neu18, Dec 21, 2009.

1. neu18

neu18 Member

Hello, I was wondering if you could help me make a diagram for this hypothetical setup.

2 Amps (2 Channels each), 1 Reverb Unit, TC nova Delay (outputs going to both amps), tuner, however many a/b/y boxes needed.

I know it's possible with 2 Reverb Units, but is it possible with 1?

Ideally I would want an a/b/y box right before each amp so I could switch channels or ideally have a midi setup. But I would also want an additional a/b/y box so I could have the option of only running 1 amp. Catch my drift?

Also it would be ideal if the TC Nova Delay was running in stereo with Ping Pong.

Anyone understand or need clarification.

With 2 Reverb units and both amps running all the time it would look like this:

-->Reverb 1 --->a/b/y box ---> amp1 w/2 ch
    Guitar --> tuner--> ->Delay
    -->Reverb 2 -->a/b/y box ---> amp2 w/2 ch

The other possible option I could think of is having the ability to a/b/y the two amps without having stereo delay but only needing 1 reverb unit:

--> a/b/y ---> amp1 w/2 ch
    Guitar --> tuner--> ->Delay-->Reverb-->a/b/y box
    --> a/b/y ----> amp2 w/2 ch

But the dream is to be able to have presets of a/b/y, only needing 1 reverb going into both amps with stereo Delay.

Thank you.

2. ylo

ylo Member

I use a Lehle D.Loop with MIDI in an A/B/C setup (3 amps). This does not do a "Y" or A+B+C configuration (only one amp at a time). The D.Loop also has returns and can be used to control two pedal loops instead of selecting amps. In my case, I decided that "Y" was nice but not worth the bother.

I use a MIDI switch relay box patched to my amp footswitches to control the channels on my Mesa LSS and Mesa Nomad. This cost less money than an Amp Gizmo or similar products.

With this setup, I can use MIDI, which also selects programs on an external rack effects unit, or I can just use the foot buttons on the D.Loop to select the amp and the Mesa footswitches to select the channel.

I have run the Nomad in stereo using the second output of my rack effect unit run into a combo amp, but this sounds too bright on overdriven sounds.

Concerning reverb in two (or more amps), the easiest way (not the cheapest though) might be to just get more reverb effect units.

3. neu18

neu18 Member

Is there a midi-board thing that would have options for different channel combinations like:

Button A (ch1 amp 1 + ch1 amp 2)
    Button B (ch2 amp 1 + ch2 amp 2)

etc? I know very little about midi!