I-35 - Stoked!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Kappy, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Kappy

Kappy Member

...but was wondering whether any 335-style guitar could be better than the souped/tuned-up 2001 335 I scored from Cubado in the emporium a year or two ago. It was a run of the mill, plain jane blonde when I got it. Then I put the RS 50's wiring upgrade kit, Lollar low-wind Imperials in it, and got it Plek'ed by Phil Jacoby. It smokes! And it's so nice to play! I know from the build perspective, the I-35 is several magnitudes greater than any production-line 335, but I have trouble imagining there's any similarly styled guitar much better than my current 335. I'll let you know how it pans out.

Pics of the I-35:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  2. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

You'll be happy!

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

:D I'm like "Dude! Dude! Try this guitar!"

I hope I don't get weirded out by the I-35 if I don't like it as much as my 335.

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I think you're in a nice spot. The I-35 was on my radar until I started a construction project at the house. I have yet to find a lovable 335. I imagine the 35 will sound more articulate and punchy. Good luck! At least you didn't get stoked and get a sunburst tatooed on your chest.

6. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

+1 on the articulate and punchy. Great vid, too.

7. Thor

Thor Member

I am really stoked on that video.

I think that you'll be stoked with your new guitar.

Let us know how it works out.

8. Kappy

Kappy Member

"Out for Delivery"

Mega bummer: It's cold and has been traveling since Monday; I'm going to leave it in the box overnight to adjust to the temp change. Sucks to have that sucker so close without being able to rip it out and start the wanking. :D Will be nice to wake up on x-mas morning and "unwrap" it though.

9. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

It is a different animal than the 335 for sure. I think there is a place for both in a large stable. You will love the:
    • build quality of the I-35 compared to the 335.
    • the feel of the I-35 compared to the 335.
    • the size of the I-35 compared to the 335.
    • the tonal range of both.
    Merry Christmas!

10. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations--I hope you're stoked! Love mine!

11. msr13

msr13 Supporting Member

Yep. Different animals. You will love the 35 and you won't feel like they are occupying the same space.

12. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I don't know about the 335 but can attest to the wonderfulness of the I-35. The workmanship is excellent, it feels great, and there's not a bad sound in it. Nice way to end the year.

13. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

14. Jazz2Punk

Jazz2Punk Member

15. gitman

gitman Member

the I-35 was on my radar for quite awhile also but then i found a '67 ES-345 (marked "2" for some cosmetic flaw that i cannot detect) for such a great price that i could not let it go by - after i performed the infamous "Varitone-ectomy" and replaced the wiring with an RS pre-wired assembly this guitar is a dream to play and listen to !!!! i have no problem with the narrow fingerboard width and compared to my other 345 (from 1964) the '67 has even a bit more depth in the neck, i.e. it has a stiffer neck. the PAT-# pickups sound gorgeous and the guitar has plenty of sustain so i don't see the need for a stop tailpiece. while the '64 could be described as the dark horse the '67 is a mountain lion : purring in one minute and screaming in the other ;-) i am very happy and between these two semi's my ES-GAS has all but disappeared. the I-35 looks like a great guitar but i got the 345 for much less than the Collings go for - if one can find one over here in Europe .
    the '67
    [​IMG]
    the '64
    [​IMG]

16. Jazz2Punk

Jazz2Punk Member

Any update?

17. Kappy

Kappy Member

Thanks for asking. Got it, love it! People above are correct, it's a different animal from the 335. It wouldn't replace my 335 since they're so different. So far, my biggest disappointment is that I thought the I-35 would quell my GAS for 335s, but it hasn't. It's a lot lighter than I expected it would be, which makes it almost feels like a vintage guitar.

I'm planning on doing a more thorough review, but I'm in a weird amp situation right now so I want to take more time to get some things sorted out before I do any comparisons. I'm really eager to do a good A/B with it and my Grosh semi-hollow Set Neck guitar, since they seem a lot closer to one another than they are to my 335.

Dave

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  18. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

That's funny, as I was recently comparing the two on paper, as they are closer in build specs than an I-35 is to an ES-335. The top horn is the major difference between the two...other than that, they are pretty damn close. Congrats on your new piece, D!

19. Jazz2Punk

Jazz2Punk Member

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! :aok

20. Kappy

Kappy Member

Man, this guitar has really grown on me! (Still stoked! ;)) It's good enough to make me consider selling a good portion of the rest of my guitars. Of course I probably won't sell them. But I feel like the I-35 covers so much ground and does it so nicely that it obviates the need for much else. Really spectacular piece! Biggest drawback is that it's not the kind of guitar I feel okay just taking to any jam session. It's too new and too nice for me to do that (yeah, I'm a wuss, I know! :D). For those situations I use my '01 ES-335 or something else (see? it's good not to sell all your other guitars when you find a great one).

Someone mentioned somewhere that access felt limited in the upper register owing to the horn on the treble side. I did notice this on the first day that I got the guitar. But I've not noticed it at all really since then, so I think it's just a matter of getting used to the guitar, and it's not like you have to do anything weird to compensate for it. One thing I do find myself doing on this guitar is hitting the bottom of the neck pickup with my pick occasionally. That's taken some getting used to. I haven't done any measuring or anything, but I don't do this much on any other guitar I have. I imagine that this will eventually correct itself the more I play the guitar.

Other than that, spectacular guitar! The Lollar pickups sound wonderful! Still no good A/B with the Grosh Set Neck. But I will get around to it eventually.

Dave