I About Ready To go Back and get another Classic 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NoBrakes, Feb 22, 2009.

1. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Weird thought I know, but a Peavey Classic 30 is about the only amp I've every owned that just did gig after gig and never gave me any fuss. I've owned better sounding and more versatile amps but the 30 always sounded decent and never gave me problems. Actually even got "great sound" compliments at gigs with it.. I sold mine last year and I think I'm starting to regret it. Can't seem to get another amp in the zone.

2. kayaktim

kayaktim Member

I hear you. Love mine. And my back thanks me for selling off my Super Twin (90 pounds!) and going with the super light Peavey. Great amp.

3. Taller

Taller Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    I've got a friend who is dedicated to his Classic 30, and yes, they do sound great.
    I've got the Delta Blues, which is virtually the same amp with a trem circuit and a 15" speaker.
    I refuse to sell it, even though I have a couple of booteeky amps.

4. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

A Classic 30 was my first tube amp, bought new in '96. Traded it about 2 years later, and have been regretting it a lot lately.

5. Spudman

Spudman Member

As much as I like my C30 I find the Delta 1x15 a little bit better in almost all regards. After I got one it became that special amp that you are describing. The C30 is okay, but the Delta...wow! So if you have a chance check one out before you buy another C30.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Mine only needed a "tube holder" to keep the tube rattle down...otherwise it is a great workhorse, has all the functionality I need or could want (with the effects loop there when I want to use it) and is one of the few amps I know of where shared EQ between the two channels is no problem...what sounds good EQ-wise on the clean tends to sound just great on the OD.

slight improvements, which I can do myself, I am thinking of changing from "hard wired" built in speaker to jack/plug....so that when I want I could defeat the built-in speaker and use a cab, OR keep using built-in and cab.

I was in a band for a while with a guitarist that had a Delta blues (see Taller's post above) with 15" and that thing REALLY sounded nice too.
    VERY present...cut through the mix, etc.

They are great little amps, I have several higher priced amps, but when it is grab-n-go I almost invariably just take the C30.

7. mude

mude Supporting Member

I still have one and it regularly makes it to gigs depending on the situation. Great little inexpensive amp.

Evan.

8. stump

stump Member

IMO- it's the best bang for the buck amp available and the one that I gig with 99% of the time. I own a bunch of other amps, and love them all, but it's the only amp that I have not once had a soundguy tell me to turn down. More often than not they tell me to turn up a little. They sound good but grab and go is the best feature about it.

9. joel98z

joel98z Member

I just got another Classic 30.. I had a c50 that I sold about 1 year ago and regretting ever since. Just had to get anothe PC Classic series. IMHO the best low budget tube amps out there.

10. tremster

tremster Member

Have been trying to convince myself that I need to sell my beatup C30 to make for more space. Every time I try it "for the last time", I'm convinced I will deeply regret it if I do sell it. It just sounds too good.

11. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I bought one on a lark when they first came out...and I still own it (along with 27 other amps too). It is a good sounding amp regardless of the price.

12. Geardog

Geardog Silver Supporting Member

C30 was my first tube amp. Purchased new about 18 months ago, for me wasn't that cheap but I love it. In the future I'd like to get DR Z stuff, but I think I'll always keep the C30 which I've named Thumper.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

Love my Delta Blues. Makes the C30 sound weak :)

14. Geardog

Geardog Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to try the delta blues amps, which do you guys favor, 210's, 15 & is there a 30 & 50 watt?

15. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

The C30 is a great amp for sure. A steal for what they are!!

16. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

My first real tube amp was a Classic 50 4x10, I foolishly sold it and wish I still had it. Years later I bought a C30 and man, I wish I still had it. Very solid all-around amps and a great value. They performed well, were damn near indestructible and... I wish I still had one. :)

17. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Classic 30's are damn good amps. I've owned a few Peaveys over the years, never had one fail me yet. Matter of fact, I still have an old CS-400 power amp that's still rocking 32 years after I bought it.