I am cheap.. box cutter blades for fret rockers?

SamBooka

They are long enough to cover the first 3 frets.. break one in two and you should get something short enough to get you as far as the 12th fret. I would run the sharp end against a file once just to dull it and not cut my fingers off..

Thoughts?

Rick51

Put two of them edge-to-edge, then hold them up to a strong light. If no light leaks through between them, you are good to go.

SamBooka

well.. they sell them at dollarama.. will give it a whirl.

Good tip about the blades together.

hunter

Supporting Member
I have NO idea what this thread is about.....

What are you trying to do?
Find a high/low fret. Span three frets at a time until the tool rocks. There is your high/low fret. Other tools work but the three fret span is handy. I think Stewmac sells em.

hunter

mike shaw

Even if it is straight when new, I wouldn't think that a sharp razor edge would stay level with use etc. for too long.

SamBooka

how 'bout a real straight edge? Like a thick aluminum ruler?
Actually what I have been using until now IS a thick aluminum ruler (maybe 1/16 thick) that I had cut up but not sure

a)how straight it really is

b) how straight it really needs to be.

I have one of the stewmac string action gauge and it would rock using one side of the ruler but not the other.

As for the box cutter blades I think they have a gentle arc to them as well so I will stick with the cut up ruler that seems to work best.

mlp-mx6

StewMac was selling long before the Internet. My hunch is that there were far fewer hobbyist builders pre-Internet.

Misterbulbous

I work in an aluminum casting plant. The pins used to eject parts from molds are extremely high precision dowel-like steel rods (ejector pins). We cut them to length as new and usually throw the ends away. I happened to try one as a fret rocker....and they are completely perfect for the job.

Unfortunately, now I've found that I have a really, really bad neck on my guitar.

Trending Topics