I am going madd!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Peterma, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Peterma

Peterma Member

What do you do when no matter what your guitar sounds out of tune?

So I am putting a few of my guitars through the paces today and they all sound fine until I get to one of my acoustics.

My Korg & Boss tuners tells me that it is in tune, but my ear does not agree, I put new strings on it, retune, play hard, retune again, play a bit more, retune. Grab a capo and play, still sounds off. My tuner says that I am off by less than a cent each time, after tuniting to standard, my ear does not agree with my tuner.

So I pick up a different guitar and play it and it sounds fine. Then I grab another guitar-same thing, sounds right.

Back to my acoustic, retune-STILL NOT RIGHT??!!!

Specifically it is a Parker P9E acoustic with new strings. I have had this guitar for 10 months and it has always played great for me. Never had any issues with it. It is still playing fine, no fret buzz, the neck is the same as ever. It just sounds off and I cannot pinpoint what is wrong.

Is my ear getting better and I am noticing, or am I losing it?

Has anyone else had this experience?

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

did you use the same brand of strings you did before? might sound strange but sometimes that does it.

3. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Have you checked the intonation on the acoustic?

4. Peterma

Peterma Member

Same strings as before, brand new Elixers. The intonation is spot on.

5. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

That happens to me sometimes...might just be a mental condition in my case. :)

6. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

It may need a good setup, especially the nut slots/height. You say the intonation is spot on, are you talking about at the 12th fret? It takes rounded fret tops, correct neck relief and correct nut height to have good intonation.

7. Peterma

Peterma Member

Yes, the intonation is correct at the 12th fret.

HMMMMM.

8. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Peterma

I have the exact same thing wrong with my Martin! Tuner says its good but my ear picks up that it isnt. Its my B and E strings. I can tune them by ear and it sounds good. I think with my guitar is that the frets are worn and have some good size divots in them causing this problem. I dont know for sure but thats all I can think of. This is a $2500 Martin for Petes sake. Its shouldnt be bad craftmanship.
    If you find the problem, please post!

9. paul1122

paul1122 Member

Sometimes I'll play one day and everything sound great. The next day I'll go back to the same guitar and amp and it does not sound the same. I think it's my head.

10. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Also, if the strings are too light or thin, it will cause problems. I had a set of Daddario Extra Light strings (.10) on my Taylor Big Baby and that caused problems until I changed to normal strings.