I am going Muff Crazy!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by btmish, Feb 27, 2008.

1. btmish

btmish Member

Yea, that's right...I am really loving the muff. Just scored a Zero that will hopefully be here by the end of the week. This will join my Mayo, ? Lady, Sweetsound Pi face, and LBM. It may seem redendent, but even though they are all so similar, the differences between them are so fun. I like them all so far. I wonder how the Zero will fit in? Will it be closest to the Mayo? Maybe the Zero will be my last muff for awhile....although those Dice Works and Ronsounds sure look interesting. Or a Pink Flesh? Jeez.

:crazyguy

Ah, shoot, I have to find a Mayonnaise.

2. riker4208

riker4208 Member

The mayo is my ultimate.....it makes my guitar sound like a friggin combination cello/chainsaw

3. Pylonracer

Pylonracer Member

I would give the Trifecta a test drive. Very musical and covers the Muff zone.

4. russv

russv Member

I have been hunting around for a muff type. Dice works and ronsound seem like good, affordable options.

I would really like to try out the Foxrox Zim with a brown muff card and the voice curcuit. Add TS clone or booster, sounds :rolleyes:

5. martinsmith06

martinsmith06 Member

I too am a muff-aholic good sir. I've got the standard model Dice Works Muff Diver, and it's a really solid clone of the original triangle-knob with a few mods to increase versatility. I also grabbed up a Pink Flesh the moment I saw it on the Skreddy site, and it is amazing I must say. Great triangle-style muff, but with a bit more articulation when chording (a good thing), plus it's got the mid-boost toggle to "cut through the mix".. personally, I think that any muff cuts through the mix though. I've got a bag full of other muff's/muff-style pedals, so give me a holler. I love talkin muff.

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I've been muff crazy since I was 15. :crazy

7. aidan7737

aidan7737 Member

There's always one phish! :D

8. emjee

emjee Member

I just got a Mayo and I absolutely love it. I have to admit I havent tried many of the other modern clones, but the mayo sounds exactly like the first Muff Pi I got in '73, so I dont have to look any further. It has the creamy, smooth violin like sustain for days. Volume swells sound ethereal (Try it with a digital delay!!). It makes my small Victoria 518 sound like a much larger amp. It doesnt surprise me that that the skreddy pedals sell out so fast, and I admire the integrity of the maker (who is he? are they made in the US?) that once he is out of parts he stops producing the pedal. Many people might just change to another part that is still available and keep selling them without saying anything. Anyway, love that Mayo!

MG

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I had a Zero... it's 'more'... more highs, more lows, more aggressive, more in-your-face.

[​IMG]

It was extremely terrifying so I sold it - actually, I 'sold' it back to Marc! Between my Pink Flesh and D*A*M Ram Head, I've got my fuzz needs covered now... no more scary fuzzes.

And when you used the words "Muff Crazy", I swear this song lept to mind, substituting your lyrics of course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGAvdeCxXCQ

-B

10. btmish

btmish Member

Ah, I don't have them all on at once. I just interchange them sometimes. Or I will sometimes plug two of them in, and compare/contrast them. The LBM is very raw and open sounding, very Huge. The ? Lady is much tighter, and has an almost hollow, or haunting, character too it. The Mayo is the smoothest of the three, and has a pretty tight sound as well, but it doesn't have that hollow (not sure what word is best here, that is all I can think of) character, it's much fuller. And it has a more singing quality to it. It would be hard to pick between these three (I have not received the Zero yet, and have not had time to compare the pi face). They are all great pedals!

11. martinsmith06

martinsmith06 Member

I realize it's a relatively easy circuit as far as construction is concerned, but are there any Muff clones out there that don't sound at the very least decent? Or am I just so enamored by the Muff that I'm biased? Of all the clones I've tried, I'd say the one that I really didn't dig would have to be the ICBM, and at the end of the day, it's still a good sounding pedal.

12. htharp

htharp Member

I bought a Nano Metal Muff on a lark thinking i would just use it for one song. Now it has a permanent spot on my pedalboard. I use it in places i never dreamed of and I'm having a great time with learning how to coax noises from it.