I am just wondering, Groove Tubes and JJ EL34 type tubes are same tube?

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
That is a good question, and it is quite confusing.

I had 2 sets of #6 Groove tube branded EL84s and both sets were thin and harsh! I couldn't deal with it and ordered some JJs. The JJs look like the identical twin to the Groove tubes construction wise, but were warm and smooth sounding. I bought another amp with JJ EL84s in there and it too sounded great.

Ironically, Groove tubes supposedly screens their tubes and cherry picks the best ones, and that's why the higher price. Are teh Groove to0b people all deaf? :messedup

Blue Strat

Groove Tubes has the JJs as one of their EL34 offerings. The suffix for these is "S" for Solvakia. They also sell SEDs, Sovteks and other tubes with "R" (for Russia), "R1", "R2", etc.

In addition, they are making their own exclusive EL34M (Mullard Reissue) which is quite good.

The same situation exists for every other tube that Groove Tubes sells except that they don't make their own version of every tube type/number.

Is there any reason to buy the JJ tube that GT sells over the same JJ branded tube? Probably not as long as whoever you're buying the JJs from tests and matches them properly.

Guinness Lad

A good way to tell if a El84 is Sovtek is if on the top side of the plates there looks like a frying pan above the gray plates. The JJ's have a halo above these plates. I think the actual name for what I am talking about is the "getter"

Don't know about other tube types though as I don't do this for a living.

sickboy79

Just to clarity - the GT E34LS is essentially a JJ E34L with an extra heatsink that the standard JJ does not have. GT does not offer the standard JJ EL34s (the EL34 and E34L are different tubes).

FWIW - the JJ 6L6GC = GT 6L6S, JJ EL84 = GT EL84S

Blue Strat

Just to clarity - the GT E34LS is essentially a JJ E34L with an extra heatsink that the standard JJ does not have. GT does not offer the standard JJ EL34s (the EL34 and E34L are different tubes).

FWIW - the JJ 6L6GC = GT 6L6S, JJ EL84 = GT EL84S

OOps, yeah. S not C for the suffix. Caffiene hadn't kicked in yet. ;)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom