I am not a number... I'm a Jacques, Prisoner bbd delay... (demo)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fatback, Jul 2, 2006.

1. fatback

fatback Member

I had a chance last week to demo a Jacques Prisoner analog delay for a few days and boy was I surprised by the twisted delay sounds lurking within this little beastie.

pt.1 is here!
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5771936889985965622
    (excuse the rattling window. it was a windy day.)
    :YinYang...:crazy

good 'ol pt.2
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4822412723260399016
    :messedup...:D

Now that it's gone, I can feel the g.a.s. building for a Prisoner delay of my own. This was my first time trying a Jacqes pedal and I'm very impressed. Are there any Trinity owners out here? That also looks like a fun one.

2. erksin

erksin Member

I've had one for about 3-4 months now and LOVE this thing.

People have been blowing it off because it doesn't self-oscillate, but I don't think they truly grasp how f'ing cool the Modulation control is. Way more useful and musical, IMO...

John - when you get ready to pull the trigger, I highly recommend Steve's Music Center (linky on the Jacques site as an authorized dealer). The best price around ($199 shipped), and Steve does great customer service.

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

Is pt.1 still uploading?

4. fatback

fatback Member

...yup. that's the magic of Google video. It could be verified and viewable anytime beween now and Tuesday afternoon...
    :jo

Thanks for the heads-up Erksin. Steve's is a great place to do buisiness with.

5. sssmile

sssmile Member

to me in the video it sounds like its on the verge of oscillation. I dont need the straight runway thing, but i like when the delay does have that on the verge chaos thing going. at the end of the video it sounds like it does oscillate a little, maybe there is an internal trimmer that will allow you to do more?

6. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

7. erksin

erksin Member

I read a post from somebody who had emailed Jacques directly about that - no dice according to him...

8. drolling

drolling Member

That was just great!! I've had an old MemoryMan mounted on a mic stand for those kind of *hands-on* tricks for years, but I just got a Prisoner as well as there's something really special about the quality of the modulation.

I've been thinking about those foot pedals that mechanically twist the knobs (3rd hand?) but I'd probably need THREE of them..

I did e-mail Jacques to ask him if he'd be able to do a mod for expression pedal compatability, but no reply so far.

..looking forward to part two:crazyguy

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Love your clips, fatback! Keep 'em coming!

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

That's been a closet dream of mine... I'd get one too for the LPF on the POG, but if I get a HOG and expression/expansion pedals someday, I should have the "messing with LPF" covered there.

Is the Jacques stereo wet/dry?
    I would buy a Red Witch Deluxe stereo analog delay/modulation pedal, if they made one...

11. erksin

erksin Member

Nope - mono.

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Z'OK... cool pedal, I'm really liking the DMM for now...

13. drolling

drolling Member

Steve, I've been jonsin' on a POG since they came out - I've got a couple of nice Leslie sims (G-4 & RPM-1) and some Hammondesque (B-3ish?)chord voicings under my fingertips, but that multi-octave setting on the POG would push the illusion right over the top..

Can the HOG do that too, or do I need both?

14. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

OK, here's the lowdown:

I haven't gotten to mess with a HOG just yet. I actually don't want to because I know that as soon as I do I will blow a month's rent on getting one, which I can't afford to do.

A) For the most convincing faux-hammond, you will need the following:
    -POG
    -short delay (like key click)
    -compression (lots, you want to separate it from your guitar sound as much as possible, at least I do). I may have as many as 3 compressors going by that, because I have a Squeeze Factor up front, a CompROSSor in the clean chain (basically the "not boosted with guitar boosters" channel) and a loop with the POG and a Walco Chord & Note Sustainer that gives crushingly stupid levels of compression (and volume increase)- it starts to feed back on itself with held notes/chords, can cause volume swells sometimes, unpredictable, but priceless for this and probably only this application. Experiment with compression before and after the POG, as it is different. The POG can be made to sound a little more natural with compression afterwards, I find, but I have compression going on on both sides. Maybe I can record a good clip for this thread this afternoon, hmmm a project to do today... I will get on that.

b) HOG versus POG...

The HOG has many more capabilities than the POG, and with the glorious options of adding an expression pedal and expansion pedal for 6 presets. I listened to all of the clips on the E-H site ( http://www.ehx.com ) many times and it does get some organ sounds. However, it does not have the "detuned" octaves like the POG, which are really a big part of the organ sound. I am sure if you had a HOG, you would get some convincing organ sounds, with way more options (if $$ is an object at all, the HOG can get you a lot of the POG's stuff). The harmonies (simple, not intelligent like the HR-2, which I also want/need/MUST HAVE!) seem cool as well.

The POG really makes me want the HOG even more so I can leave the POG where it is for what it does, and then use the HOG and presets for different noises/purposes. I can also only imagine what kind of madness can occur when you have a HOG running into a POG. That will be a glorious day, I should make sure to have many extra pairs of pants on hand for when it occurs, I will need all of them. I want both, and am not selling the POG (already paid for/integrated into system, sort of). Between the Deluxe Memory Man, Deluxe Moon Phaser, Discumbobulator, POG and walco and the future HOG, HR-2 and a functioning volume pedal (mine doesn't work all that well, kinda old), I should pretty much have the coolest crazy sounds available. Now, imagine all that, and I have two words for you: Electrified Melodica... even if the HOG/POG/HR-2 are digital, that is at the very least a "manual" synthesizer, I mean, you have to blow into it for it to make noise... THAT will be awesome. I am ELP! j/k Seriously, though, I should be able to achieve a Medeski, Martin & Wood-like pallete of sounds for jamming with.

c) Hammond licks are so much fun. I started getting the itch to play organ parts on guitar when I first got the leslie cabinet and a stereo pan/volume pedal, but I had no idea how I could implement it. Thankfully, I've got it somewhat figured out now (I'm happy with it, anyway). A lot of double stops, especially with one moving note and one stationary note. I've got a small library of blues organ licks worked out, as one of my goals with looping is to make organ tracks live and play over them (and I can still ramp the speed up and down on the cabinet on the loops I'm playing over for dramatic effect). Some gospel-organ licks are fun as well. I find that the neck pickup works the best for this sound, I play with fingers and for organ stuff try to play with as key-like a touch as possible (no vibrato/all pitches are static or it gets very synthy sounding- also cool, tho, subtle on the slides and subtle attack). I'll have to resort to the electric melodica for the big slide up the keyboard to a sustained high note and ramp the leslie up and down thing...

15. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

Quality H2Video</waterboy>

16. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Great stuff once again FB !!

The Prisoner is mono - but its really tasty to put it on just one amp say after a stereo chorus split or something - that makes some of the wilder stuff more usable as you still have the uneffected sound to balance the whackjob stuff against

17. Frethog

Frethog Member

Me too! Watched several yesterday. Focusing the camera on the pedal settings is simple and brilliant.

18. fatback

fatback Member

A link to Prisoner Demo #1 is now up in the top post. Once I turn up the modulation, things may get a little bit odd.

you've been warned... :nono

cheers.
    :D

19. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

ah exellent choice in demoing companions !!

do we rename the Prisoner the Tardis ???:AOK

20. fatback

fatback Member

naaah ;)
    [​IMG]