I am not a pedal guy, so please help me pick one out for my BF Fender

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JDJ, Feb 17, 2008.

1. JDJ

JDJ Member

The title sums it up. I have sold every pedal I have bought, although I have not bought a ton. I tend to be a minimalist.

During my 20 year trip down the Road of Tone, I have finally landed on a WW10 Tele with Mare p'ups and a 1966 Pro Reverb with period-correct C12Ns. I love the clean tones, and the drive is great too as the volume goes up.

I want something to goose the amp at low volume -- to add some break-up and character. I tend to run the amp's volume (vibrato channel) on 4, the treble on 5, the bass on 6, and the reverb on 2 1/2. I go from about half to full on with the guitar's volume, and I hang out at about a "7" (if a Tele had numbers) often.

I am a blues player. I love players like SRV and Hendrix. I don't need heavy distortion, just some push. I want to retain the tone of the amp and the guitar.

I've looked at Keeley's website, and I don't quite understand the difference between the TS9 Mod Plus and the TS-808 to justify the $100 difference in price. I had an OCD v1 a while back that I liked, but I was playing a Bassman reissue back.

I do plan on buying used b/c, historically, I have never kept a pedal. Please help me decide on what to try.

Thanks. :)

2. EL-Dougie

EL-Dougie Member

I am certainly no expert, but I would be very comfortable getting a Zendrive here on TGP for boost and tonal variations. If I didn't like it, I could resell it for what I paid for it, minus shipping or fees or whatever.

I do own a Zendrive and find it is great for a bluesy tone and full feel.

Doug in CT

3. JDJ

JDJ Member

Thank you for the tip. How come they are priced higher used than new on Hermida's website -- are they in short supply?

4. amigo30

amigo30 Member

Like Dougie, I'm no expert either..I haven't been through nearly as many pedals as some of the stomp-box junkies on this site. I have gone through a dozen or so to find "the one I'll use everyday". It turned out to be a zen drive.

For my purposes, it's head and shoulders above the others I've tried. It sounds awesome, and has many tonal variations. I'd be surprised if it gets off my board anytime soon. I love the thing...

5. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I am a Tele BFDR guy. I have been thru at least 2 dozen pedals, boutique and otherwise. You can get a ton of advice here and you can spend a lot of money and find out the hyped pedal doesn't move you at all, or even sounds flat and raspy. You end up feeling like a sucker for the hype.
    On a whim, I bought a $50 Bad Monkey. My musician friends (one of which writes for Tonequest) find that my OD tone has never been better...
    Having said all of this, I'd love to try a Zendrive.

6. npirt.89

npirt.89 Member

i have a 68 deluxe reverb silverface and I love my fulltone fulldrive 2. it sounds great. i'll keep it forever. Definitely pick up one of those.

7. HammyD

HammyD Member

I recently bought a Monte Allum modded Boss Blues Driver. Playing a 53 Les Paul through a 67 Proreverb it sounds absolutely transparent. Everyone who has tried it made the comment it sounds just like the amp on the edge of breakup but at bedroom volumes.

It seems very versatile, albeit subtle.

8. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

I think a lovepedal COT50 might suit your needs well...

9. ford

ford Staff Member Supporting Member

Fulltone FD2's sound great through BF Fenders.....

rock

bford

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I use a 1965 Fender Princeton with a Scumback SA10M.That being said,I use a combination of Barber Tone Press>TS 808>Zendrive.I get a very nice sound that is perfect for the blues/rock.YMMV.

11. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

get out a big piece of paper and a pen , you'll be writing a lot of suggestions down .

Good luck :crazy:messedup

12. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

13. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Xotic AC Booster. Very nice bump in gain, has a bass and treble EQ to tailor the sound, beautiful Tube Screamer type gain without the harsh mid hump and grainyness. Gain down and it can be fairly transparent.

14. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

A very simple pedal that fits what you are asking for is the Timmy pedal.
    Its very "clean" and is good for getting a nice just breaking up tone at lower volumes.

Good luck with the search.

RC

15. Oddos

Oddos Member

Almost anything will work with a BF Pro Reverb.

Any kind of TS-9, I like the Am Silver mod, and even the SD-9 work great. I imagine all the new Maxon`s would be great too.

Cot 50 sounds great but not all that veratile IMO.

Offcourse, any sort of nice Fuzzface, like the Sunface or similar, would work perfectly.

A TS-9 and/or a Sunface sounds like what you want.

16. fazen

fazen Member

To get a Zendrive you have to get on a waiting list that take months to get through.
    People with lots of disposable income don't want to wait and will pay $100 or more over webpage price to get it now.
    If you're willing to wait you can pay $175 or BIN for $300.

17. EL-Dougie

EL-Dougie Member

The higher resale prices are to get the pedal in hand instead of waiting 4 - 6 months.

There is a waiting list for Alf's pedals - just send him an e-mail. I got on it in July and received my pedal in November. Also got on list for ZD2 in August, and that just arrived a few days ago. He sends out a notification when the product is ready, and then you pay for it. I believe he is filling Sept-Oct orders for regular ZD now.

I would get on the list anyway, and then when your turn comes up you can decide what to do (buy and try and keep or flip, or turn it down and have the next person on the list get their chance).

Zendrive and Zendrive 2 = Great pedals. Hermida also offers a Mosferatu - heard clips on the website but no personal experience with that one.

18. EL-Dougie

EL-Dougie Member

19. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I'm not saying no to the Zendrive, but I think you have to think of the sound and tone you are after in terms of SRV and Hendrix. I sold my Zendrive as soon as I got it because it did not do it for me with my super reverb. Take a listen to myspace below. IF you like that tone, I'm using an MJM Blues Devil, sometimes driven by a cheap Bad Monkey. I also used the Bad Monkey for clean tones. Both of these pedals will cost you less than the Zendrive if you are going for it on ebay. Just my two cents!

Mike

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It depends on what you want your Pro to sound like. They are pedal whores and will tolerate almost any kind of abuse. Since they tend not to compress much till they get VERY loud then tend not to work as well with straight boosts (treble or clean) as Voxes or Marshall type amps. That said, lots of people get great results running a distortion into a clean boost or vice versa. Here's my take:

TS808 derivatives: these were designed with Fenders in mind. Stevie Ray used them with great success. They compress and reduce bass, both very useful as you turn up a blackface Fender, so they're kind of the bread and butter distortion for these amps. Costwise, the Bad Monkey is the killer deal, with a used TS9 or TS9DX coming in a close second. The FDII is a little more transparent at not much more coin used, and has that boost switch. My current favorite (beyond an original TS808, which I highly recommend) is the Foxrox Zim, which allows two TS9 type pedals in series with the second having a semi-parametric EQ. The Zendrive is an OD in the amount of drive it gives, but sounds nothing like a TS9 derived pedal. They are killer and you'd be in great shape to order one (direct from Alf). If you don't like it, you can sell it for a profit in one day here...

Fuzzes: with the decreased compression on BF, not my favorite, but if you can run them into another pedal or crank your pro, they do sound great. The Fuzz Face is the cheapest/most traditional and the Fuzz Factory is the most flexible and out of control.

Distortions: this covers a whole world of pedals, from Mosfet based devices like the Blackstone, thru ICs (Sansamp, some Big Muff variants) and op amps (the DS1). I'd put the Tim/Timmy in this camp, and since they have huge EQ flexibility, they'd be king of the hill here for me. Alf's Mosferatu fits here and is another killer pedal at a great price, but with a significant wait. For a more "amplike" solution, the Ethos pedal will turn your Pro into a Dumble! The Burn Unit from Barber is another highly sustaining OD as are the Big Muff derivatives.

You really can't go wrong buying used pedals for your pro. Try em for a while and then move on with little to no loss.