I Am Really Digging My New Egnater M4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by robbph37, Jan 12, 2008.

1. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I just got my Eganter M4 and it is everything that I hoped for. The Vox Mod is awesome for clean with just a little break up and the 2nd channel is great for chunky riffs. The SL2 is exactly as advertised. Hot Rod Marshall tone. I am canceling my Twin as I belive the Vox will do all that I need. I have an E5 on the way but now I dont know which Mod to get in place of the Twin. Any suggestions? What effects are you guys using? My Boss pedals sound terrible and kills the tone that I have worked hard to get. I am looking at the Gsystem but really would like to find a cheaper solution.

2. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I wish I'd had the money to go with an M4 from the beginning. I'm using Fender TBP-1 (bass!) preamp--essentially a Fender Showman preamp--and a Digitech GSP1101 that I just picked up for other various sounds. I was on the list for an Axe-fx, but I just couldn't afford the credit card debt. I used to have the Randall RM4 modular preamp and half a dozen or so modules. (Clean, Deluxe, Brown, Recto & Ultra Lead) I liked it a lot--can only imagine how good the Egnater must sound! (well, the video clips Eddie at Indoor Storm did give a pretty good idea :AOK)

You might try putting your Boss pedals in a bypass loop so their not in the way when your not using them... The Bman module has some cool tones and Bassmans are supposed to take pedals really well, so there's one idea...
    fwiw, I have a couple of modded Boss pedals (Keeley DS-1 and Allums BD-2) and like them better than the stock pedals.

If I could, I'd get the M4 with a T/D, VX, C.O.D. and SL2 :drool

As for rack effects, I'll mention that I had a Lexicon MPX-1 which sounded cool but was a real pain to program and had a really bad gap between sounds when changing patches...

3. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Can you tell me what the bassman and the COD sound like? I have not heard these two modules.

4. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

5. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

Rack effects suck the good tone right out of the amp. I use high end pedals in front of the amp, all with true bypass...i.e. Fulltone, DLS, the only one without true bypass is my MXR phase 90, which is my favorite phase shifter. I will modify that pedal to be true bypass when I get around to it and find instructions to do so. I use a Mod 50 with TD and SL2 modules and m in tonal heaven. I will get the Vox and oneof the EG pedals. What is the difference between the EG 3/4 and the 5?

6. robbph37

robbph37 Member

The E5 is the new modern gain module. Really hot- I hope to use it as mostly a lead mod. The 3/4 is fairly aggressive I guess but the MHG was the high gain until the E5 arrived. Okay Fulltone pedals with true bypass? Will this solve the terrible distorted sound that I am getting with the Boss pedals. The delay is fine on the vox clean but terrible with the SL2 or with any over drive for that matter..

7. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I use my delay in the effects loop. I've got the EG3/4, SL and Bassman (excellent, I would recommend getting one). Here's my dirty secret. It get's frowned on a lot, but ... My delay in the loop is the Vox Tone Lab. You need to use a Ebtech line level shift box to match the levels. Egnater loops are sensitive to line level and some pedals do not sound good in the loop. The Vox has killer delay models. No tone suck. The new LE is even better. $350!

8. robbph37

robbph37 Member

This may sound real dumb but what effects loop? External? Dont see an effects loop on mine.

9. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

I believe older Egnater M4's had the loop, new ones don't. I think they did this because the M4 is a preamp, you still have the power amp next so a loop was not really needed. I have a Randall RM 100 head myself which uses the same modules as the Egnater stuff. I ran some pedals in the loop and others up front but I finally racked the pedals in a drawer and now switch them in/out using a GCX Switcher and Ground Control Pro, all up front.

10. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Exactly, and more and more guys use switchers/routers in their rigs anyway. I use two MOD 50s and/or two Egnater pre's with the Switchblade GL. It is beyond sick how you can mix, morph, ya...

:dude