• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I am really sorry to keep doing this(Ampeg VS Fender content)

mrmjp

I have narrowed it down to a '73 Fender Pro Reverb OR '66 Ampeg Gemini II. So the PR is 40 watts, 2x12. the GII is 30 watts, 1x15. Reverb and tremolo in both. I had a '68 twin that I loved(too big, too much), but I also had a '65 Reverbrocket 2 that was amazing and I can get the Ampeg for about half the price.

Here in lies my delima. This will be my only amp for a while as I am a student. However I want the option to play with a band/drummer, but this will also be what I am playing at home.

Is 30 watts going to be enough to play with a band/ get over a drummer? Is the PR too much power even at only 40 watts? Tone? I go back and forth, more, less, less, more, etc, repeat.

steadygarcia

The Pro will certainly not be too much power ... however, this question is best answered if we knew what kind of music you'll be playing.

Strat

Ampeg, definitely. Much cooler. Both are more than enough power and the perceived loudness has more to do with the speakers than the 10 watt rating difference.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
i've played with a blues junior for YEARS in a live, gigging band with a hard-hitting drummer. fifteen watts. also, if it's any further help, i've just swapped 6v6s into my alessandro rottweiler (usually a 40 watt amp) to make it LESS powerful. so. . . . . my advice is to pick the price vs. tone that you dig the most. if you are totally happy with that gemini and it's half the price, i say go for it all the way. . . .

steadygarcia

I play brit-rock, alt-country, rock. So is that alt-country-brit-rock
Honestly, either amp will get you there. And since the Ampeg is half the price, get both! I have a Gemini I, and it's amazing. I also have a SF Vibrolux. I would't want to be without either.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Ampeg has funky tubes, a big speaker with not too many alternatives (the redcoat Big Ben is the only one i can think of atm) and sits tall, if that bothers you. That said, its reverb and trem kicks butt over the Pro. But the Pro has a cleaner tone than the dark Gemini too, and more easily replaceable tubes and speakers and probably built like a tank.

Maruuk

Since the Gem II was my first amp brand new in '66 , I can say it was never loud enough with a band, even cranked with the bright asterisk clicked on. I could never get it to break up (Ampeg prided itself on never shipping an amp that could distort), and it's relatively dark and warm. And big and heavy. Now granted I had a Hagstrom II with extremely low-level output SCs, and this was long before anybody miked amps. But still, it just got drowned out easily since it has no real top end edge to cut with, it's a jazz/accordion amp. I traded it in on a Twin and never looked back.

The Gem II is about the last amp in the universe anybody would want for country. No snappy bright twang to speak of.

jcs

curious what kind of price is the gemini II?

i own a 67 gemini II and you need a very efficient 15 in there to keep up with a band.

right now i have an EV15L in mine.

i've got one of the eminence 151 ceramic 15s i am going to try next and then a couple of mid 70s utah 15s (which break up quicker and are a bit brighter).

overall gemini II are really neat amps though,as mentioned great reverbs and tremolos and take pedals very well too!

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
In stock form, it'd be the pro reverb for sure. There's a great, gigworthy amp. Much as I love the Gem II sound, it's not loud enough. Mine is not stock, so that's no longer a problem. Bigger PT, 6L6GC, tube rectifier, Big Ben speaker. I still want a pro reverb, but this Ampeg is mighty fine now.

Trending Topics