I Am So Glad I Got This Amp.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Denny, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Denny

Denny Member

As some of you know I've been on an amp quest for the past 2 weeks or so and have really learned a lot. I returned my new Vox AC15CC because it didn't fit my style. I've been looking into every amp imaginable in the 6 to $700.00 range and decided to try a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue - Well -

I just played my DRRI for the first time and I have to say I really like it. Of course I have nothing similar to compare it to, but none the less, my 45 years of experience playing guitar tells me this amp is a keeper - so far - just the way it is. this is a sweet amp stock-out-of-the-box (to my ears anyway). It MIGHT get a speaker change down the road - I MIGHT change the tubes or clip the treble cap - but for a stock amp - Fender did a great job. Breaks up nicely at medium volume, nice growl and sustain, I DO NOT FIND THIS AMP TO BE TOO BRIGHT or too bassy. My main amp is a Budda superdrive II, 18 Watt 1x12 (which I really love), but I can see me bringing this into the stage set up with a pedal or two - hell - it really doesn't NEED a pedal to sound good. I've been playing Mesa's since Carlos first started using them, and really stayed away from the Fenders because of the bad press the seem to get from some folks - "..has to be vintage.....has to be point-to-point...has to have this mod or that mod.... Maybe it's me and I'm finally realizing in my old age that tone comes mostly from my heart, soul and fingers and just a little from my gear!? I say - great job Fender. And thanks everyone here a TGP for all the input and advice I've gotten from all of you.

Denny

2. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

Agreed. The DRRI is a great little amp at a good price. It sounds great run in stereo with other amps. I been playing mine in stereo with a Top Hat Super Deluxe. The Fender thump and Top Hat chime sound fantastic together. Try it with your Budda.

3. clunk

clunk Member

I own an original 65 (64 parts) and have tried out the re-issue. The DRRI does sound pretty good. I wouldnt say its as good sounding as an original but cranked it comes reasonably close. Its also not as loud. With volume at 10 its about as loud as an original at 6-7.
    Still, if you like that vintage DR sound and dont want to pay modern prices for an original, I would say soundwise this amp does a good enough job of getting you there.

Clunk

4. Formvar

Formvar Supporting Member

I used to work at a music store years ago. When Fender reissued the blackface deluxe reverb, my co-workers (fellow gear freaks) and I lined up the DRRI w/ original `65 and `66 deluxe reverbs. Guess what...the reissue didn`t sound as nice. A bit constipated sounding. Just for fun we plugged the reissue into the `65 and `66 speakers one by one. All of a sudden, the reissue could hang in there with the originals. The difference was about the same as the difference between the `65 and `66. Just goes to show how important the speakers are in the chain.:rolleyes:

5. Champlifier

Champlifier Supporting Member

Yes, the speaker(s) will, usually, have the most dramatic/noticable affect on the signal chain. I messed around with tubes, strings, pickups, necks, bodies, etc.,and the speaker usually has the biggest/most noticable affect on the overall tone.

6. Dollar

Dollar Member

I had a DRRI and a freshly serviced but otherwise all original 65 and I prefered the re-issue. The original was harsh and piercing and my DRRI was just as Denny described. The original had an Oxford speaker and I believe that was atleast part of the problem. That said, I think what it really boils down to is that an individual amp is only as good as the sum of it's parts. I think two can come off the assembly line one after the other and sound different. That was probably even more true back in 65. Components are probably a lot more consistent today than they were then.

Great amps though. I will have another one day. Maybe soon?
    Damn you Denny!

7. Denny

Denny Member

So true - and part of that sum are your hands, head, soul and heart!!! I just got some NOS tubes and I can't wait to hear the difference (is ther is any difference). I figured there's so much hype about the NOS stuff, I'd just go and see what it was all about. I'll be sure to report back when I install them and get 'er up and runnin'. I'm absoultely loving this thing man. I didn't think I'd fend another amp that I loved as much as my Budda but the DRRI does it for me - not that they're even the same universe as each other, but the organic feel is definately there. I'm so gald I sent the Vox back. The DRRI is inspiring me to play stuff I haven't tried or stuff I haven't wanted to play for centuries. Again I'll say "GREAT JOB FENDER".

Denny

8. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Guy starts a thread about how happy he is with an amp and somebody just has to try and piss in his cornflakes...:confused:

9. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

+1.

10. B Vance

B Vance Member

I really enjoy my DRRI. It's clean tone rivals that of just about any other amp I've ever played. I love to use it for recording especially. http://alive.artistovation.com/ViewEntries.aspx?ContestId=10000&EntrantId=10273

This is some of my DRRI recorded on the rough scratch track for the band that I have been doing studio work for. Setup = Fender Am Std Telecaster, neck pickup,> Vib Channel Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue> Fender 62 2x12 Extension Cab with Cele. Greenbacks. Four mics, one on the front of the DRRI, one on the open back, two on the cab in front of each speaker.

11. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

You know, everyone who owns a Deluxe Reverb goes on about how good (or sometimes how bad) the vibrato channel sounds. Hardly any mention about the normal channel (vol/bass/treble). When I owned my DRRI I would often plug into the normal channel for s*its and giggles. It's quite surprising how warm and bluesy-sounding that channel is. There are even mods out there where you can tie in the reverb circuit (and possibly the tremolo...not sure about this) over into the normal channel. If I wanted reverb though, I'd just run a Holy Grail reverb pedal in front of the DR and go.

12. Denny

Denny Member

I love the normal channel but it needs reverb (for my ears) - I think I'll try my GT-6 in there tonight and see how it sounds with that.

d.

13. gjf

gjf Member

I totally disagree -- this board is about sharing information. If someone can't respectfully say something that is factually based and mildly disagrees with someone else's ode to their new amp, we end up with a series of posts from people saying how much they love the amp they happen to own at the time. I would rather hear people express opinions either way and make up my own mind.

14. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Glad you like it. Its sorta funny. My Stage rig is like your exact rig X 2.... I run a Budda SD 80 for dirty and a Vintage Twin Reverb for cleans... and technically, both those amps are about twice as much power as your setup. I think thats cool.

Enjoy, there is nothing wrong with reissue fenders. Personally, I think they are what the vintage ones probably sounded like brand new.

15. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

hmm...sort of. I think the "cornflakes" comment is in regards to a poster trying to one-up on the original poster and not a sharing of information. He wasn't saying that in his experience her personally didn't like the sound of the DRRI, he more or less tried to say how much better his vintage Deluxe is than the poster's new amp...which is an OLD arguement that goes around in circles.

Possibly a better phrasing would have been. "Now that you've found you like the tone of a DRRI, maybe you should tryout a vintage one and see if you might even like it better..."

16. Denny

Denny Member

You're probablly right and we've all forgotten how they sounded back in the day. hell - all my amps sounded like crap back then (or was it me?)

Your's stage rig must be really cool - I'm just wondering if you NEED all that headroom? I haven't played the two amps together yet, and my GT-6 is stereo.............????????Hmmmmmmmmmmmm .....gotta go!!!!!!!!!!! ;o)

Denny

17. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Guy didn't share info. He said, "your amp is OK but it's not as nice as mine". He didn't even disagree with the poster.

That's exactly what it is already. Show me one "recommend me an amp" thread where one person doesn't recommend their own rig. Just on page one here there is a guy asking for an inexpensive practice amp for city studio apartment bedroom playing and every single reply was for 100w heads with attenuators and $3000 Matchless and Bruno combos. Jeez, do we all need to pimp so hard that we can't appreciate someone else's experiences?

Sure, if someone asks about a "plexi-style amp head" I'm going to mention the V-Plex that I own, but I'm not going to suggest that it's the end-all for all styles and tastes. Nor will I scoff at someone who is pleased with their tone and wishes to pass it along.

BTW, I agree 100% with the original poster. For $600 or so, the DRRI is a phenomenal value. It sounds great with hums and singles, takes pedals extremely well, and sounds great both at home and in a small club. As for whether or not it sounds "better" than an original '65 DR, it sure as hell sounds ALMOST as good, and if given the choice between the original and the RI with close to $2k in my pocket--I'll take the RI every time.

18. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

haha, well, I had a quick "buddafest" thing with another poster just this past weekend, and the amount of tighter lowend alone in the 80 justifies the rediculous power. Both great amps, but more watts = tighter bigger sounds in my book.

OH, and the twin NEEDS to be high watts in my band. Loud drummer + Very heavy attack means I need an amp that I can play loud withouth even a HINT of distortion.

19. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I don't think the poster was taking a low shot. His was the first post comparing a RI to an original and I thought the post was informative as I read it.

To say a cranked RI sounds close to an original is a compliment to me.

20. Denny

Denny Member

I would just like to say that I always enjoy the posts here on TGP. The knowledge and information I have gained far surpasses the digs and shots that pop up from time to time. i don't take them personally. In my opinion, we're all (guitarist) egotistical from time to time. Our way of flexing our muscles is to talk about our gear, our "babys', "girlfriend', "wife", whatever we call our equipment in secret. LOL We're proud "fathers" of our gear. Have you ever heard a parent say my kid is beautiful, but your kid is more beautiful than mine? It's similar with our gear. My wife calls it "musical masturbation" - and you know what - I think she's right (she's ALWAYS right). Guitarist are highly suceptable to the chronic and sometimes fatal disease called G.A.S. or C.G.A..S. (chronic guitar acquisition syndrome). Our egos get satisfied when we can say to ourselves "poor shmuck - has't got a clue" - my yada-yada-yada amp costs $4000.00 and was handbuilt by aliens from the planet of the gooey-gooey death - his amp is a $250.00 so-and-so - Mine's GOT to be better. I know, I've done it (only once LOL) myself! So post away. This is one of the best forums on the web - I've found the people (99% anyway) to be real, honest, generous and nice. I love my gear - the good, the bad and the ugly - hey - it's my gear not yours. Thanks everyone. (and my amp IS better than yours ;o)) LOL

Denny