I am so happy with my rig

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slipbeer, Apr 15, 2016.

1. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I'm not even sure what section to put this in.

2000 PRS McCarty with Wolfetone Dr. Vintage->Keeley modded Boss Blues Driver->Boss DD3->Xotic SL Drive(default dip switches->Xotic EP Booster->Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret(SuperBass settings->BF Princeton Reverb RI.

I'm playing tomorrow night and was tweaking my pedal board and the whole setup gives me so much range of tone and every option sounds great. I've got neighbors who were telling me to turn it up.

So now that I'm totally satisfied I'm wondering what I ought to be doing to make it even better so I can be MORE TOTALLY SATISFIED.

Order up that Louis Electric Columbia Princeton clone?

Try some WCR Darkbursts in the McCarty?

Pedal swapping. I know that there are so many flavors of the same tones and they each have their niche?

Order up a private stock McCarty because private stock wood is better than 16 year old stock wood?

Man....being happy is so dang hard.

morgan918 and Bossanova like this.
  2. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! It's all about loving what you do have. I'm lucky that in my case, it's a lot (for me, not by TGP standards..!)

3. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

shane8 likes this.
  4. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

Liar. No one is happy with their rig.

Pretzmidtown and Mark From Cincy like this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I sat down with my tube amp one day and convinced myself I didn't need anything more.
    I still ordered a SS bass amp within the week, and convinced myself it was a backup.

Mark From Cincy and peskypesky like this.
  6. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I'd say it would be a good idea to play more, and hang out on the Internet less.

It's knowing what else is available that causes gas. At least, for me it does.

I've been very happy with my main set-up for years, but that hasn't stopped me from looking, finding, buying more toys.

7. radiolab

radiolab Member

I'm with you. I haven't bought any new gear for a while (the helix I bought, I ended up returning because my pod hd500x was just as good).

I have my agile les Paul copy, pod hd500x going into my studio monitors and that's all I need. I have all my other custom shop fenders and custom shop gibsons in their cases in the closet. The agile gets the job done perfectly. I send more time playing, and less time messing about with stuff only a dog could hear.

Mogmog likes this.
  8. piby

piby Supporting Member

I really like my rig now too. But I still want a Friedman be100

9. morgan918

morgan918 Member

I'm super happy with band setup now, but that seems to make me want to add more pedals and guitars. I generally don't mess with stuff like pickups or speakers (or even amps) once I'm happy with my basic tone. That way lies madness.

10. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

It's not if you focus on practice and being creative. The people who are happy are the ones who have decided that they have done a satisfactory amount of futzing with their tools, and are now obsessed with being creative, writing good songs, making art that merits an audience, and not fixating on the minutiae of their gear.

Jonny G and PBGas like this.
  11. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

All righty then.

We blew the doors off for 150+ people last night. Everything we played went over big. All the different tones where what they needed to be and, most importantly....the clammage was absolutely at a minimum.

I got great Facebook posts today on my playing.

I can't think of a single thing I would change...except I might need a different chorus which I only use on 2 songs.

Again the quest for MORE perfection continues.

shane8 likes this.
  12. tony67

tony67 Member

looks like a sweet rig!

Do you ever play atmospheric clean passages? How about a chorus pedal and a tape echo-ish type delay? The BOSS RE-20 Space Echo can do some amazing stuff.

Do you like fuzz? The EH Big Muff is pretty much standard, but the Earthquaker Devices Hoof fuzz is absolutely EPIC!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  13. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Being satisfied with one's rig is a great feeling. But it doesn't mean one has to stop tweaking their rig. And constantly tweaking your rig in no way limits your ability to become a better player or to be creative.

There are many famous players that would tweak their rigs. Hendrix was known for trying different things out to get a different sound. Some folks like Holdsworth have run rigs that are quite intricate. For example he was known to use upwards of 6+ delays in his signal chain. That doesn't come by accident, it comes from tweaking. You read interviews from years back and guys are gushing all over a guitar or an amp. A few years later they may be gushing over a different amp, different guitar or both.

I think many of us are very happy with our rigs, and there are certain components that form our foundation. But trying a little something new can open new creative doors, and there is nothing wrong with that. On the other hand if someone is happy with their rig as it is and don't feel anything will make it better, that's all good too. Each should do what keeps their own creative juices flowing, your ears and hands happy, and enjoy your own individual gear/musical journey. Let others follow their own advice which works for them, but they can't tell you what works for you.

stratamania likes this.
  14. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

Damn, thats a first. Where do you live, so TGP can collectively move in...:p

15. shane8

shane8 Member

you can't poast this outrageous nonsense on tgp

*reported*

ef_in_fla likes this.