I am sorry Line6

Cactusprick

So I have sold Kemper earlier this year in contemplation of getting QC. While eagerly waiting for it for such a long time EVER for a mere piece of gear, I have been reading, watching and listening to so many reviews, comparisons, you name it, to see if there were any alternatives.

Long stories cut, I have finally picked up Helix Stomp and I have briefly went through all the familiar amp models. I say familiar because I have trialed Helix Native twice, bought once, and then sold it. I never could gel with it. and I always have been in a camp to say Line6 amp models (or cabs) are not on par with Kemper, Fractal and so forth.

But last night, I could not believe my ears while going through models. This is my first 'hardware' Helix and it really sounded so much better than Native. mind you my computer set ups are not too shabby either, with a proper audio interface (Axe I/O).

I am thinking the hardware dynamic range of 123db and the most recent 3.11 is doing a pure magic. The feel was there, the individual notes bloomed, dynamics with my picking, be it either clean or dirty. Only one thing missing was the note retention when the guitar volume was dimed. This is one thing I believe Kemper excels best, and still unmatched by others.

So here is my apology to Line6, I am sorry for saying your amp models were not match to others. I fully take it back. Helix is a truly amazing piece of gear after so many years.

Note I have not even tried IRs (as I did with Native), and this is going with stock cabs so far which I always thought were mediocre.

I cannot wait to dial in more sounds with IR and spend more time later.

sonic1974

So I have sold Kemper earlier this year in contemplation of getting QC. While eagerly waiting for it for such a long time EVER for a mere piece of gear, I have been reading, watching and listening to so many reviews, comparisons, you name it, to see if there were any alternatives.

Long stories cut, I have finally picked up Helix Stomp and I have briefly went through all the familiar amp models. I say familiar because I have trialed Helix Native twice, bought once, and then sold it. I never could gel with it. and I always have been in a camp to say Line6 amp models (or cabs) are not on par with Kemper, Fractal and so forth.

But last night, I could not believe my ears while going through models. This is my first 'hardware' Helix and it really sounded so much better than Native. mind you my computer set ups are not too shabby either, with a proper audio interface (Axe I/O).

I am thinking the hardware dynamic range of 123db and the most recent 3.11 is doing a pure magic. The feel was there, the individual notes bloomed, dynamics with my picking, be it either clean or dirty. Only one thing missing was the note retention when the guitar volume was dimed. This is one thing I believe Kemper excels best, and still unmatched by others.

So here is my apology to Line6, I am sorry for saying your amp models were not match to others. I fully take it back. Helix is a truly amazing piece of gear after so many years.

Note I have not even tried IRs (as I did with Native), and this is going with stock cabs so far which I always thought were mediocre.

Not sure what you mean by "note retention". Sustain? Thanks

the swede

maybe you shouldn't ;)

kidding... do what you feel is best. But spending time "dialing in" is spending time not having fun. In the end I think stock sounds great (especially now) and no one that listens care. But we as players care how we sound wich is equally important because if we are happy we play better :p even if it doesn't sound better in the end. Personally im having a "stock cabs is great period" and just don't care about the IRs I have... but that might change with the mood :D

Cactusprick

maybe you shouldn't ;)

kidding... do what you feel is best. But spending time "dialing in" is spending time not having fun. In the end I think stock sounds great (especially now) and no one that listens care. But we as players care how we sound wich is equally important because if we are happy we play better :p even if it doesn't sound better in the end. Personally im having a "stock cabs is great period" and just don't care about the IRs I have... but that might change with the mood :D
agreed 100%.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
maybe you shouldn't ;)

IR’s are overrated :hide

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member
Last time I owned one it didn’t have 8 blocks, the Princeton Amp, the Dynamic Hall reverb, the ability to label snapshots, or the sonic upgrades in 3.1. It also wasn’t white like the stormtrooper model I ordered so theres that too.
I really like the the Princeton model and I think I know what sounds good as I have 2 blackface Princeton Reverbs.

The feel was there, the individual notes bloomed, dynamics with my picking, be it either clean or dirty.
It's probably not due to oversampling. I'd counter that the Helix exhibited those qualities you listed before the 3.1 update, but you're doing something different this time around.

Anthony Gring

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting

I bought the stomp when first released .
Already had ( and still have ) Kemper.
For me it was difficult to navigate and sounded sub par compared to Kemper.
So I sold it .....
Maybe I should have another go with it ?

Cactusprick

Interesting

So I sold it .....
I still think Kemper sounds best to my ears (without hearing QC in person), I've only sold it as I seemed to be in search for the holy grail profile all the time, and not stuck with something already available. Also once I start fiddling with the profile I often ended up worse off than I started with. Hence have decided to switch on a fully modelled route.

There are no silver bullet, just something that suits you most.
I would still love to own QC once it matures in years.

dsmc80

Interesting

So I sold it .....
I have both and use them as different tools. The Kemper still sounds better for me no doubt. The Stomp is a fun a nice sounding unit though.

RawDawg

I ordered another HX Stomp this morning. It will be my third try with it.

I think this time it will be a keeper.
they say if you keep doing the same thing expecting different results… you might be addicted to heroin, so…

Anyway OP, that’s all in your brainium. I had hardware Helix and Native concurrently. You didn’t see me plugging my Helix in unless I had to if it was already hooked up to my amp.

The only real reason you may think that is because the last big update was an upgrade to higher resolution sampling. Native gets it too. It’s the same. I heard zero difference. I even ran native out through my FRFR cab just the same.

Trending Topics