I am Z-less!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mojocaster.com, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Chadley

Chadley Member

:mob

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

I will never be Z-less.

oooo...look.....a matchless lightning on ebay.....

2. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I used to think the same way until very recently :)

3. Geardog

Geardog Silver Supporting Member

There's more than one flavor. I would like to try the AST, and the Mojo may just find his way back to the good doctor one day.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

this must be corrected. A Tele through that, goodness. And for what it can't do, the Matchless Chieftain with my Tele - much nirvana was to be had today. I kept repeating angry Lou Reed riffs all day! That's it, after Easter I'm going to the shop and get my Princeton back from consignment for sure.

5. picnic

picnic Member

I got a 38 Sr off Craigslist in Feb. Very stoked about it at the time. Got it home and put many hours on it over a weekend. the Z was in the same tone zone as my LSS and I felt the LSS had more tho offer.
    I sold the Z to a friend 3 days later. Not disappointed at all in the amp, I was just covered in that area.

6. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

I will never be Z'less.............

honest.

I'm down to my Maz18 for now (sold off the Ghia and Mini) but if i start back into gigging in the fall, a Route66 is definitely in the cards. Love that amp, but promised myself i wouldn't buy it for basement use. The Maz is an all-time keeper for me tho.

cheers

7. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

My friend is getting ready to sell a like new Dr Z Prescription head for $1000.

8. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

I've owned a couple of Z's...seems like like I've blown through a couple of everything in the last few years. Bar none, one of the best amps I've ever owned or played is the Swart AST. I had the 30 watt SST as well - think I still prefer the AST. Sold the AST to cover an amp that I had ordered long before (and should've just cancelled ;)) I'm simply on the road back to an AST at this time :D

Should've just stopped here:

[​IMG]

Mojo - glad you're digging your rig, I bet the Trussarts are amazing through it.

Steve E

9. 19jmm68

19jmm68 Member

I have been z less for about 6 mos. Having a love affair with the div by 13 edt right now. That JRT also has my attn.

The Remedy looks fun though ;)

10. zimmer

zimmer Member

Funny thing, really. Three Zs at the moment, and I've always wanted to try an AST. In fact, my ebay searches list only Swart, Z carmens, and Aikens.

Meanwhile, the Remedy is a real treat.

11. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I'd love to try a Remedy one of these days...

12. markw1980

markw1980 Member

The Remedy sounds like it would be up my alley. The rock alley, that is. I was about to pull the trigger on a Maz Jr. a few weeks ago, but wound up with a Valvetech VAC25 instead. Still Z-less.

13. Jd3

Jd3 Member

+1 on the Maz ... I got mine about 3 years ago, and I still can't stop playing it or believe the great tones I get for basement practice or small jams (or small clubs). I don't think I could ever sell it.... I also have a KT45 which is a monster ! :dude

But GAS is always a concern ... :rolleyes:

14. ryhlick

ryhlick Member

What Z did you end up getting?

15. 19jmm68

19jmm68 Member

Well put....Mojo. It's just a real special package. I love the sound of the cab. Nice "woody" quality. Lately I have been turning the verb and trem off and just getting into the cleans and the cabs rich resonance.

I have also found that very often I like facing it bacwards with tubes towards me and it sounds amazing that way as well. Different......3d tones are gorgeous. It's a pricey little bugger, but, your ears will think it's worth every penny!

Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

16. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

That's a sweet look for the AST right there. I have the "traditional" two-tone tweed'n'dirty one :)