I asked about Fender, but I ordered a...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BobbyRay, Feb 5, 2008.

1. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

After much consideration and pouring over pictures I made up my mind. I wanted a Black Relic Strat with modern radius, 5-way switch, a very dark rosewood board, and an alder body!

I looked around, I called around to many, many shops, and found tht I was probably looking upwards of 3 grand.

Nah...

Someone mentioned Rocketfire...

I just got off the phone with Nick at Rocketfire. It'll be a bit of a wait, same as what's detailed at his site, but I think I'm gonna have exactly the guitar I wanted at an infinitely bette price.

Above all this though, I just felt good talkin' to Nick. An extremely nice guy, who hung-out on the phone until we both felt satisfied that we were on the same page. Super guy. I just have this feeling that this guitar will be exceptional.:AOK

2. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Did ya call Dave's?? I have a 56' relic strat, 5 way, 9.5 radius,alder body and med jumbo frets. Very tasty not over done relic job. Dang good price as well. Sounds like it will be a cool guitar wherever you decide to buy! Good luck!

P.S I can give ya the guy I deal with whenever I go to Dave's if interested, top notch.

3. BobbyRay

Yup...called Dave's, and many others, but I just loved talking directly to the guy who's gonnal make my guitar...ya' know? Once you talk to that guy, if you think he's a sincere and genuine individual, you get the feeling that his personality is gonna show up in his work. Nick seemed like the right guy to make my guitar. In just a short...I don't know...1 hour or so conversation, I got the feeling that he really wanted to make the guitar I have in my head. At that point I didn't get picky with exactly how I wanted the relic job to look, and spoke more in terms of intangibles. I want to see his take, and how he feels that guitar should look.

He stated that he has worked from photos before to try and nail a particular look, but I want to see what he thinks my guitar should be. What's the guitar that I'll find? I trust his idea on this one.

4. ford

ford Member

Sounds like a great idea! I think with Rocketfire and K-Line and others around, it is pretty easy to get the strat or tele that you want at a good price. Heck K-Line is about to start making some Jazzmaster looking guitars... I bet they are going to be awesome.

Can't wait to see your new guitar here in a few months.

rock

bford

5. BobbyRay

And that's about it right there! I figured, why not get a guitar that I can afford easily and not have to sell off everything I own for!

6. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Thats awesome! I didn't know that the guitar was being made for ya, I must have mis read. I hope the guitar turns out great. The wait will be grueling!

7. BobbyRay

You ain't kidding brother!:worried

8. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Hey BobbyRay, you wont be disappointed! I absolutely couldnt be happier with my Rocketfire strat. Nick is a top notch guy and a great builder! In the mean time, figure out how to rearrange your schedule.....because once you get it, you'll wanna play 24/7.:AOK

9. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Jazzmasters?!?!?!?!??!?!?

10. BobbyRay

About 1 month left! :AOK

11. codyj84

codyj84 Member

You better post pics when you get it!!!

12. BobbyRay

Pics? Why would I do that?

:agree

:worthless

13. redpill

redpill Member

Yup. I'd always advocate taking this approach (small builder who you can actually talk to) whenever reasonable.

14. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Yeah - I have been following K-Line & rocketfire's work - very nice indeed.

15. StratTone

StratTone Member

..........."I fart in your general direction sir"

16. BobbyRay

"Your mother smelt of elderberries, and your father was a hamster! Now go away or I shall taunt for a second time."

Now back to your quote. Why, praytell, do you "fart in my general direction"?;)