• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I auditioned as a new lead guitarist last night...

ArtDecade

I went and auditioned for an open spot in a band last night. I am clearly a nice guy with strong chops, good look, right age, etc. The "Problem" is that my tone wasn't good enough for this "band". I use the perfect amount of reverb and have a stellar touch. Now I am going to have to meet with their drummer who is being tasked with having the tone discussion. Really? The drummer?! Unless I really know someone I avoid such discussions, especially when this person can barely tell the difference between a 5A and 2B drum tip let alone the nuances of dialing in a Klon with both single coils and humbuckers.

The experience did reinforce two things I already knew:

1. Tone really does matter.
2. I'm the best guitarist around and I am very adept at tweaking my gear and attack properly.

BlueRiff

I went and auditioned for an open spot in a band last night. I am clearly a nice guy with strong chops, good look, right age, etc. The "Problem" is that my tone wasn't good enough for this "band". I use the perfect amount of reverb and have a stellar touch. Now I am going to have to meet with their drummer who is being tasked with having the tone discussion. Really? The drummer?! Unless I really know someone I avoid such discussions, especially when this person can barely tell the difference between a 5A and 2B drum tip let alone the nuances of dialing in a Klon with both single coils and humbuckers.

The experience did reinforce two things I already knew:

1. Tone really does matter.
2. I'm the best guitarist around and I am very adept at tweaking my gear and attack properly.
Can you peel back the onion on the tone feedback a bit? Did they say anything specific about your tone, or just "look, man - it's your tone. Phil our drummer will schedule a feedback session to counsel you..." Confused on the scenario.

ArtDecade

I spent the day at Zappa's UMRK to prep the tone in my head with my normal crew. Dweezil makes the best cup of coffee. I always fly my guys in when I head out on the road with The Eagles, The Ventures, or when I have an audition with a local bar band. We call it the ArtDecade Tone Summit.

Anyhow, I had Andy Fuchs bring out his best Dumble-style amp - THEN I had Lee Jackson modify it to be more like a Marshall. I had Bill Finnegan bring out his newest "top-secret" clean boost Klon prototype pedal with the world class buffer - THEN I had Pete Cornish modify it for a bit more gain and True Bypass. Finally, I had Paul Reed Smith bring in his most awesome Private Stock super graded AAAAAAA+ top Archtop II McCarty Super Special - THEN I had John Suhr modify the scale length, pickups, headstock, tremolo, and bridge to get it more Strat-like.

That's what I do.
I have the leads.
I know all the chords.
I know good tone.
I AM TONE!

jammwill

I spent the day at Zappa's UMRK to prep the tone in my head with my normal crew. Dweezil makes the best cup of coffee. I always fly my guys in when I head out on the road with The Eagles, The Ventures, or when I have an audition with a local bar band. We call it the ArtDecade Tone Summit.

Anyhow, I had Andy Fuchs bring out his best Dumble-style amp - THEN I had Lee Jackson modify it to be more like a Marshall. I had Bill Finnegan bring out his newest "top-secret" clean boost Klon prototype pedal with the world class buffer - THEN I had Pete Cornish modify it for a bit more gain and True Bypass. Finally, I had Paul Reed Smith bring in his most awesome Private Stock super graded AAAAAAA+ top Archtop II McCarty Super Special - THEN I had John Suhr modify the scale length, pickups, headstock, tremolo, and bridge to get it more Strat-like.

That's what I do.
I have the leads.
I know all the chords.
I know good tone.
I AM TONE!
OK, I'm picking up what you're laying down now lol

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
When I try out for someone else's band, I expect there to be some guidance on the sort of tones and presentation they're looking for, beyond the notes I play. I've passed auditions to be told (for example) "We want more of a jazz guitar sound (semi-hollow with hum buckers) instead of the 'Dad' guitar (a Strat)". I wasn't going to argue with them, I just brought a 335 from that point onwards. I'd already scoped their band site to suss the general grooming tendencies, and I made sure to always "dress like them" when I was at rehearsal or gigs.

When someone else hires you, it's a job.

oildrops

Did you find a pair of immaculate 1959 PAFs to send to Lollar to re-wind for you to be more like Super-Distortions?

Trending Topics