I believe in the RSA23!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GAT, Dec 18, 2005.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I bought a new RSA23 and a matching 4x12 cab from Fred. I've had it about 3 weeks and wasn't sure if I loved it. I mean, I liked it a lot, but I have other amps which sound great. Plus, it was quieter than my others and I wasn't sure it was would be loud enough for most gigs.

Then my band rehearsed and everyone commented on how it was my best tone ever, and the volume seemed perfect, hugh and full, but not obnoxiously loud. I loved playing through the amp, very reactive to what ever style I played and with any guitar. Primarily a Baker Jr. and B1 and Grosh Retro Classics.

So I took it to it's first gig tonight and the exact same thing, huge and full, perfect volume and killer tone. The two channels really complement each other and the pedals I used just sounded incredible. I could hear every nuance yet it wasn't too loud, just huge sounding. There were many guitar players there and they all were amazed at the tone. Most had never heard of Divided by 13, this is Reno afterall.

I run into the low gain inputs because they just sound better to me, less high end and fatter mids. I'm using a BJF Sea Blue Eq, a new Fulldrive II mosfet and a Landgraff for different boosts, an EBS reverb, a Deja Vibe, a Wizard wah, and a T-Rex Replica. I switch channels with a Lehle 3/1. The cab has the new Celestion Heritage G12Ms on top and the G12Hs on the bottom. Fred was happy when I ordered the 4x12 because he said he loves his amps through 4x12 cabs.

Anyway, I am absolutely floored by this amp. I currently own the following: 2 Connies, a K60, a Bruno Super 100, a Sex Amp, a 1965 Pro Reverb and a Tone King Imperial. The RSA23 is definately my go to amp setup. I will bring another head for backup, but I really don't need anything else. I may use the Imperial for a wet amp, which would also be the backup. Fred has something special going on with this amp and he told me a lot of love went into it. I waited about a month longer because he need to get some out to McCartney's band, kind of cool to me. :AOK :AOK

2. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Right on GAT. It's cool that you can use what it's got. My 37 is borderline loud most places I play. I can go without attentuation if I'm using pedals for OD, but for the most part, I need to knock things down to get it cookin'.

Is your band playing mostly clubs? Are you mic'd off? Even a big club seems too small for my 37 cranked. How the heck do you do it?

3. GAT

I had a 37 and the 23 is about 1-1.5 db quieter, but it seems to have stouter mids. I don't know, we play pretty loud but get away with it. I play some large outdoor gigs where there are large concert type flown arrays so we mic everything. I also have a Meyer sound system with Meyer 700hp subs and we mic everything in most clubs. I will use a Clearsonic 4x6 panel in front if I feel that the audience is getting blitzed by the guitar, but the RSA is a great volume as compared to the Connie. I also have an Ultimate Attenuator with two volumes which is use sometimes if I get complaints. The thing about my band is that we try to keep our volume so that it doesn't overwhelm the Leslie 122 that our keyboardist uses. He does mic it up a bit through his own sound system.

We play gigs, but fortunately, we won't take anything where we can't play the way we want. We all used to be full-time pros, but now we really only want to play if it is a fun place that we can just play music. Our band really has killer gear and I think the overall tone is so good and pure that it seems less irritating than a band with a distorting small PA and poor balance with players who don't have good dynamics. We actually turn down more gigs than we play. We mic all the drums and instruments, but mainly for fullness and not volume.

4. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

any chance of some clips, ive never come across an amp that has been so hard to obtain clippage of. clean, semi clean and full on dirt clips would be very appreciated.

jimmy

5. igi66

igi66 Member

Hi Gat,

I really glad to hear such a wonderful review of RSA23, cause I just ordered one. Everything that you wrote was everything I hope for. I play many different styles in different venues, and I have tendency to be too loud. I played OD100 for a few years, but now I've sold it as well as FTR37 cause I didn't get enough mids. Very nice round tone though. I still have Marshall JMP '71, Naylor DD60 and I just sold my Germino 55LV.

With the RSA23 I'm also getting the matching /13 2*12 cab. I'm thinking of loading it with Celestion G12H Heritage and Celestion G12H-30 Ann.

Any thoughts?

Once again, thanks for the review,

Igi

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

YOu have a MEYER Sound system , that your band(You ) actually owns and brings!?!?!? HOLY MOLY... ARound here I know a few bands who OWN McCauley systems , or EAW but typically it's the soundman or soundcompany that owns that stuff as it's unbelievably expensive. I imagine the Meyer is even MORE but would sound unbelievable. I have a basement FULL Of sound systems myself!!! ERIC

7. GasMask

GasMask Member

You are fanning the flames of my RSA23 GAS! I'll be cranking mine up in just a few more days :dude I'm a bit jealous of your 4x12. I thought long and hard about ordering the 4x12 myself- BTW, how much do you pay your roadies? :D

8. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

Hey GAT, how is the combo of 2 heritage 30 watters and 2 heritage 20 watters in your 4x12 cab? i have a pair of the heritage 30 watters in a 2x12 cab but i want to get a 4x12 and keep the 30 watt speakers. and i'm not sure if i should go with 4 30 watters or 2 and 2. i'm playing through a dr z RXES.

9. ned911

ned911 Member

GasMask-

Would it be possible to check out your RSA through my Marshall 1965 4x10 cab? Send me a PM with your contact info.

10. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

did you make any clips ?

11. GasMask

GasMask Member

No prob! pm sent..... Lets Crank it up! :AOK

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

13. garyrogue

garyrogue Gold Supporting Member

Good review GAT, thanks

14. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Damn. After hearing those clips...I might have found a /13 that I need.

EP

15. GAT

The Heritage combo sounds killer. I did not like the all heritage 30 combo, but the addition of the Heritage Greenbacks is amazing.

Ericb: The Meyers cost a butt load, but its a once in a lifetime investment. The problem is, some places make us use their house systems, like Berhinger, lol. Most clubs have never heard of Meyer, so they tell us their two Mackie 450s are killer. Oh well.

igi66: I hope you love the RSA, I sold my 37 because, to me, there were some mid frequencies that weren't there enough for me, not anymore.

Fred told me that he loves the 4x12 with Greenbacks for the RSA23 more than the 2x12 cabs. The 4x12 price was the same as the 2x12 price, so what the hell. I bought the cab unloaded as I had the speakers.

LeonC: Those clips kill me, very original. How does the RSA33 differ in tone and volume from the 23?

16. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

I just got my RSA23 with a greenback 2x12...Great amp, I had a airbrake with me just in case but you really don't need it.
    Just curious what kind of music do you do?
    Do you use the click channel in low or high?

17. Lamont

Lamont Member

Hey Gilly -- No wonder i havent heared back from ya --Your playin your 23. You know my feelings on the 23 --Im so glad you dig it as much as i do mine ,,,now if you can break away from it for a moment .Call me !!!L And ,i got a good source on the 5789 tube for the FREAK channal.But ya got to get the switchazal now.:horse Quit hittin me jack off ,,im dreamin about my 23!!

18. GAT

Sparkle,

Im using the low gain inputs on both channels, even with a strat. Just seems to sound better to me, less high end. These amps aren't that loud and I bet it sounds great through Greenbacks. You'll find that in a band context the volume is just right, yet you will have no trouble hearing yourself.

Lamont,

I've been HAMMERED at the office, everyone trying to get those fillings done before the New Year I guess. I'll call you sometime this weekend. What combination did you order on the Cornish Duplex?

19. igi66

igi66 Member

Gat, Sparkle,

I have ordered my RSA23 with 2x12/cab , with Celestion G12H-30 Heritage and G12 -30H Ann.

What do you think about that combinaton of the speakers?

I have a Naylor 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion Greenbacks as a back up.

thanks,

Igi

20. Lamont

Lamont Member

Gat --Cool , ill talk w/ ya this weekend --I m going nuts and pulled the trigger on the p-2/ss-2 duplex,,i hope the hell i like it cause it cost a bunch.You use the low input,hmmm ! I use nothin but the high.Im useing mainly a d-13 2-12 open back w/ sweet 60s Vox silver bulldogs and a closed back Marshall 2061 cab w/ stock celestions.Still my main amp is the 23 but this new Reeves 30 is gettin some time.Nice rig.Lamont