I bought a lottery ticket and I won...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Bobby Wasabi, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

3. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Thanks for pointing out...fixed it.

4. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

maybe he wanted to get all his ducks in a row first. lots to think about and plan for. still pretty odd, though.

5. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Tht is really odd - the chances of something going wrong with the ticket (losing it, theft, fire, etc) are far greater than if you just make the claim.

Maybe he had to divorce his wife, change his wills, etc, etc, etc.

Wow - tough secret to keep, though. Did he keep working at McDonalds the whole time?

6. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I'd take as long as necessary to fortify my anonymity before sending a lawyer to claim the prize. Nothing worse than having friends, family and strangers come out of the woodwork with their hands out, which is absolutely what will happen to this guy.

7. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

lots of stories of lottery winners saying it was the worst thing that happened to them. i'd be willing to give it a shot, though. :)

8. ModdersAnon

ModdersAnon Member

Stipulations of claiming the prize include being able to use your name and possibly photo as a jackpot winner.

9. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Not in all states. Obviously, I'd comply in order to collect. But after that I'd move and change all my contact info and do whatever it took to keep it from getting out to people who know me. Other than watching a documentary years later, I can't recall ever noticing who won the latest jackpot.

10. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I will have a lot people not liking me I guess (not much different then now). Because my answer will be NO!

11. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I would too. But they'll all end up hating you no matter what. So you might as well try to keep it quiet, keep your money and keep your friends and family.

12. hi-fi-dave

hi-fi-dave Member

??

[​IMG]

13. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream Member

Kudos to the winner. Clearly he was being prudent (for what ever reason) for taking the time to claim the ticket.

I'd do the same given my current circumstance.

Besides, its not like he wouldn't have unlimited sources of credit from various institutions given his circumstances.

14. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I've got a stack of about 20 tickets I haven't checked. I just buy them and put them in the stack. Guess I better get on that but, what would I do with money I already have a Fargen.

RRC

15. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Hmm, If I won that kind of money, I'd be giving money to all my friends and family. Anybody who had helped me out or was kind in my past would get taken care of. I would not need it all anyway. :beer

16. talentless hack

talentless hack Member

I keep a list of 25 names for that exact purpose.

17. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

That's the best way to lose the money AND your friends and family. Very few people who were given something would not piss it away, come back for more and then hate you for not giving them more and/or because they thought you gave more to someone else. No good could come of it unless you treated the money exactly like you had earned every penny by building a business. And those people do not iust hand money out.

18. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

You're not much fun at parties, I bet.

Anonymously giving good people a helping handful of cash would be a great pleasure.

19. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Jealous people are pretty miserable people.

I'd probably spread the cheer around one on one with peeps that I felt would appreciate or needed it. After that, word would get out and then :fisticuffs ..... but that's when you move and change your phone number. :red

20. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Friends of my parents won $12M in the lottery after taxes and taking the lump sum. They were super smart with it. They immediately paid off all of their bills, gave each other $100k in "mad money", and funded their kids college funds. Then they put the money in a 10-year irrevocable trust so if anyone asked, they could say it simply was not available. They kept working and living normal lives so they got used to not having millions in the bank. They did retire early and continue to live like normal people. I would like to do something like that if I won.