I bought a used Zildjian K 18" Dark Crash med-thin from GC online for $125

rigg

A quick bit of research dates it to the 88-93 IAK era according to this page. The cymbal is pretty rough. It has some keyholing and it's edge is warped pretty bad on one side. It's also in dire need of a cleaning. I usually wouldn't mess with a nice patina but this this just looks like abuse. The $125 I paid includes tax and shipping. It sounds glorious, and at the end of the day that's what matters. I'm concerned I may have paid too much based on condition though. I'm considering returning it and eating the $20 shipping. Was it a good enough deal to get over it's flaws? Do ya'll think it's worth what I paid?

22B187BF-5E62-4DB8-B550-EC18FEDEC7F5.jpeg 11597C20-C15A-4448-B1F3-699E9DCB3D2C.jpeg
396652FE-BC83-4184-85B3-85695574A97C.jpeg

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
Unless you're really in love with it, I think you overpaid, given the issues it has. That's an $80 cymbal in my eyes. I say send it back and screw GC (as usual) for overpricing an item.

rigg

Unless you're really in love with it, I think you overpaid, given the issues it has. That's an $80 cymbal in my eyes. I say send it back and screw GC (as usual) for overpricing an item.
Yeah you're probably right. If I make a stink about the damage they'll probably refund my shipping. I'll play it for a couple of days and decide what I want to do.

ShredTheGnar

Yeah the keyholing is what would make me say "nah."

That said, I bet if you matched it with another random 18" crash it'd make for a RAD set of hats

rigg

Yeah the keyholing is what would make me say "nah."

That said, I bet if you matched it with another random 18" crash it'd make for a RAD set of hats
The edge warp bothers me way more than the keyhole. The keyhole is pretty slight and is unlikely to get any worse with a cymbal saver. The warp makes the attack of cymbal sound dead if hit in the bent area. It also seems to add a bit of a weird overtone that emanates from that area of the cymbal as it sustains.

I'm not sure how the bend would affect using it as a hi hat top. Maybe it would help bend it back :rolleyes:. I have a nice old 18" A crash I could try it with. It might be too close in weight though. The A sounded terrible last time I tried using it as a hat.

Trending Topics