I bought one of the Xaviere Jaguar/Jazzmaster take offs.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by revgsmall, Dec 17, 2009.

1. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I know we've all seen the ads for the latest Xaviere Jaguar take offs so I bit. Got the JT-40, ran it on a gig last night and here's the poopage on it.

Is it a fantastic guitar? no. Is it a good guitar for $292.00 with a hard case delivered to my door? yes it is. Thats the short story, here is the long version:

The JT-40 arrived yesterday, and its likely been sitting in the cold for probably several days via UPS Ground. I was concerned about fret sprout, being delivered to the frigid cold of Wyoming and my fear was confirmed, it arrived with a bit of sharp edge on the high E side, totally fixable though. Hey my Road Worn Tele that I paid $950 also arrived in the same condition.

At first glance, it is a great looking surf guitar. If you hold it under bright lights you can tell its not the best paint/finish job in the world but that really isn't important to me. I wanted this to be a beater guitar anyway, but the surf green is definitely an eye catcher. The guitar is light, on my bathroom scale it comes in somewhere between 6.8 and 7.0 pounds. I believe it was strung with .11 through .52s!!! I changed to a 10-46 set before my left arm fell off.

The good news is that the Jaguar styled whammy is dang good. This thing really stays in tune and the strings are certainly easier to change than my Bigsby's that adorn my two Gretsch guitars. Hardware seems real solid. My only glitch is that the Whammy bar doesn't stay where I leave it, gravity pulls it down. I tried a piece of tape on the end of the bar with no success. I'll have to find some sort of spray or gunk of some sort to apply to the bar/hole.

On a under $300.00 guitar you'd think the tuners would be poopage but they held for three one-hour sets with very minor tuning correction between sets. I play several surf guitar instrumentals and crank the whammy mucho plenty.

The pickups? P-90's ah, I'm not quite in love with them but my ears are used to the TV Jones pups on my Gretsch, and I was doing a gig last night at the volume of a spider's fart so I'll give em another test drive.

The neck joint isn't the most stellar but as I said before, no tuning issues.

The neck itself is a big boy. If you are a skinny neck fan you won't dig this at all. Its more of a early 50's boat neck type, slightly bigger than my Road Worn Tele. Frets look to be medium jumbo's and aside from a little fret sprout as previously mentioned, there were no issues that I could see/feel. I read where they angled the neck/body a couple of extra degrees. I could tell something was different above the 12th fret, it seems the string tension feels tighter than most Fender styled guitars.

It is definitly not the replacement for my Gretsch 6120 RHH but it is gig worthy. I wanked on the JT-40 for 3 sets while the Gretsch sat in the rack.

This axe may be better suited with the GFS Gretsch knock offs that they offer, rather than the P-90's, but as I said before my ears have been fully acclamated to the Gretsch pickups for some time.

My advice is: if you want another guitar so you can feel better about your self (guitar psychotherapy)this is a cheap way to do so and have some fun. If you are a veteran player I doubt this axe would replace any of your old stand by's. I have not decided whether to keep it. I'll try it on one more gig and try not to tear the plastic sheeting on the pick guard and pickups in the mean time. To Ebay or not to Ebay, that is the question...

2. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps Member

Rev, thanks for posting the review. I've been intrigued by the Xaviere guitars and think if I dive into p90 territory, I could try out one of theirs without ending up poor. I kind of like the Offset model with the mini hum in the neck and tele bridge since that's a config I don't have at home right now. They remind me of Danelectros when I first saw them.

3. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I like that jag /tele model too, I have two tele's that don't see that much use, else I'd snatch one of those as well. I also really need a tremelo for alot of the music we do.

The Jag body shape is very comfortable, more so than a tele shape. I am still trying to warm up to the P90 sound, I just can't get that Gretsch/TV Jones sound out of my head. I thought about putting some in this beast but that would require a new pickguard and obviously more expense.

4. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps Member

See now I would rather have the tele body style. I notice GF has a semi-hollow tele with 2 Dream 180 hums, but those are the same pickups I put in my Hamer last summer. And similar to you, one out of my three electrics hardly gets touched as of late, so not sure if I really need/want another.

5. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I hate it when guitars sit around, I have a beautiful PRS Santana III that was my main guitar for my band in Portland, we were a Santana meets Bob Marley sounding band. Now that I'm down to a three piece here in the wilds of Wyoming and don't have enough personnel to pull that sound off, we do rockabilly type stuff, thus the fat Gretsch. I feel horrible that the PRS doen't get much time these days.

6. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Update please! I'm interested in one.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  7. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I ended up selling it to my buddy on the east coast, and he usually buys all my guitars I've given up. He evidently likes my taste in guitars.

I ultimately gave it up because of the P-90's. It wasn't a sound I was looking for but definitely a sound that sits between strats and Gretsch. Dark and powerful. I am just so into the Gretsch vibe right now, gotta have that jangle.

But I still recommend the guitar: good bang for the buck, stayed in tune, the jag style vibrato was excellent, killer looks, big neck (I love big necks).

The only other minor glitch was that the bridge was maxed as low as it goes. To lower the strings any lower you would have to put a shim at the base of the neck to tilt the neck back and thus lower the action a bit. But for me it was a good medium to medium high action. Thats my fave for a fenderish guitar.

I may order the model with the humbuckers and replace them with the GFS Nashvilles. The guitar and the pickups are very reasonable and I hear good things about the pickups. Not as good as TV Jones but that is to be expected given the price of the two pickups. The only bummer is I would have to give up that cool Jag vibrato for a strat style vibrato. Not really that tragic though.

If you order one please let us know what you think after ya whank on it for a bit.

8. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Thanks, Rev! I'm really on the fence about ordering one of these and slapping a Fender licensed neck with a 9.5" radius (~$300) on it or just picking up a Fender MIM Classic Players Jazzmaster (~$600).

9. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I did try one of the Fender's. I thought the Xavier had more charactor, but I only tried one.

10. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

i'm thinking about picking one up with the P90s... but im holding out for a sonic blue model.

11. Briantime

Briantime Member

I have one as well. Like the sound of the P90s and was pretty impressed with the overall quality of the guitar, but had a similar issue with the bridge as described here earlier. It's just too darned tall in design and it does tend to rattle a lot...

12. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I have been intrigued with Xaviere guitars for a while now, but have never even seen one up close and personal. These Jazzmaster/Jaguar knockoffs interest me, but I already have a very nice Fender JM. If I bought one, it would probably be the same one you bought...the one with P-90s. For that price, you can't go wrong.

13. bcgator

bcgator Member

I can't speak to the quality of Xaviere's Jag/Jazzmaster copies, but I bought one of their strat copies, the XV-870, and it was an absolute pile of bat guano. The neck had an unfixable dip in it and the frets needed leveling immediately. The pickguard was so badly cut that a blind man cutting it with a pair of kindergarten scissors couldn't have done a worse job. The pots and hardware were junk. I'm not elitist about guitars and I love bargains as much as anyone - I've owned two Agile LP copies and those are superb guitars for the money. I wholeheartedly can recommend them in regards to bang-for-buck. But I can't personally recommend Xaviere to anyone. Just my experience, YMMV.

Eric

14. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

i've read in other forums that they had similar issues with the guitars, but contacted Jay at Guitarfetish and he exchanged the guitar. I have emailed Jay twice in the past about trem blocks and he has always replied promptly.
    If i have a problem with a guitar i plan on sending it back :)
    i dont expect it to be perfect out of the box, the usual set-up and fret level will probably be done.

15. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

16. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

Very little experience with the Xaviere guitars, although I have purchased a few sets of GFS pickups and assorted hardware that I've been happy with.

My only Xaviere experience is seeing one (strat) in a pawn shop. From a distance it looked nice... lemon burst. When I picked it up though, it felt just like the other used cheap guitars hanging there. No doubt with some work it could have been made into a decent player, but I was pretty disappointed after all the hoopla they get on the guitar forums.