I boughts a EVH 5150 III! Am I nuts? Anyone own one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Marshalls Law, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Marshalls Law

Marshalls Law Member

Hey there,

I'm new to the forum and am glad to be a new member. I am a long time member of the Les Paul forum and look forward to "meeting" everyone here.

To start...I play classic rock, 70's-80's metal, blues. I own a Les Paul and a Strat with a humber in the bridge (ala EVH). I also own a Marshall 2061x head, a Marshall 1960a cab and have the Ultimate Attenuator.

So yesterday I had the chance to play several different heads in a shoot out. I had the guitar center sales guy set up 4 heads in a circular kind of set up and I went to town for about an hour

I had a:
    new JVM 2 channel 100w head
    New Vintage Modern
    Used and pretty beat up tolex JCM 900 head (was $799)
    EVH 5150 III white tolex head

I jammed each one for about 15 min then went back and forth. I soon realized that I didnt need to hear the Vintage Modern. It was just really lacking balls and that Marshall Grind. The clean was muddy.

I then stopped playing the JVM mainly because it seemed a little to like a modeling amp. It has the tone there but seems processed in some way...its weird...just didnt sound organic if that can even apply to amps...[​IMG]

I then went head to head with the JCM 900 and the EVH 5150 III head.

Now, keep this in mind. I am still waiting to try a few JCM 800s (2203, 2004 and 2005). I gave up on the Jubilee thing because I dont feel like spending a premium for the collectability factor. Guitar Center has a mint one for $2,500. They can ship it to my local store to play it but I passed it up on the big price tag.

I figured that the JCM900 would be a decent surrogate for the 800 series...might not be a good assumption but it was all I had at the time.

So, the JCM900 had an okay clean channel. The lead channel was tight, and really full with lots of growl. It was much more mid rangey and bright as compared to the EVH 5150 III.

I really liked the 900's tone and was impressed for its 80s metal tones. The EVH has a really nice clean channel and when you throw a little gain on it it gives sweet bluesy tones. The second channel was really thick, crunchy and loads of sustain. I felt it was giving me that hot rod marshall tone for days. The third channel was a little much for me outside of soloing. But, it can be fun!

So, after all that I decided I wanted the EVH 5150 III. I played it all day today and was really impressed with the wide variety of tones. It's articulate and has the 80s metal sounds in there...as well as many others.

That was why I decided to get it instead of the 900...versatility and range.

So here are my questions...

Anyone own one or play one? Thoughts on it compared to the JCM800 or 900s?

Also, can I use the Ultimate Attenuator with my EVH 5150 III?

I can return the amp within the next few weeks and will be going to NYC to play several 800 models (2203, 2204, 2205). I can always go another direction but I am quite impressed so far. No amp does it all as we know...so I would like your opinions.

2. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Can't judge Marshalls in the store. They are not biased properly out of the factory. Unless your store did their own biasing which is the exception rather than the rule. Once you get a good amp tech to bias them properly (slightly hot, but not too much), then its a different story. This has been my experience with every Marshall I have purchased and resold.

3. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I brought home an EVH III and returned it just before the 30-day window.

The EVH III is a very cool amp...but I liked the JVM410H better (classic JCM800 2203 power section). However, I had to match it with the right cab...a 1960BHW with HERITAGE G12H-30 speakers. Smooth and crunchy!

You got yourself a nice amp!

P.S. The JVM was a surprise gift from my wife!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  4. Ascension

Ascension Member

I LOVE the fender 5150II!! The only reason I don't own one right now is I had the chance to snagg the one off 100 watt Prosonic head I bought from Brad Whitford. The 5150 III is great but is flat no match for this Prosonic!! I couldn't afford to buy both but I will at some point own one of those amps.

5. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

REALLY good sounding amp! I may get one if they get cheaper on the used market. or hi-gain it's pretty excellent.

6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

a 100 watt Prosonic?

7. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Friends that owned it loved the sound.

My advice: play it a LOT! because the one negative with these amps so far has been the build quality. one person I know returned 3 different amps 3 times to the dealer, all with the same problem (it went dead). He kept trying because he said he had found the tone he had been searching for for many years, and when the third one died on him, he gave up and said, never again.

8. Crikey

Crikey Member

Several people I've talked to and read online reviews from have been pleasantly surprised by this amp. I played one for about five minutes once and liked it. The clean channel was surprisingly good for a channel-switcher, the middle channel was just about right for late-1970s and 1980s hard rock, and the third channel was higher gain than I would use, much like you found. A consistent element of the commentary has been how good it sounds at low volumes, which is an important factor for those of us who aren't playing arenas.

The reliability problems were an early production run thing, from what I read, and have been resolved. I talked to a guy who has had one for quite a while now (particularly by his standards :D and has had no problems.

I don't think you're crazy!

Crikey

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Apparently, as per a previous post, Zinky made it especially for Whitford.

10. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I also have a EVH III with the matching 4x12. I haven't had it for that long, but it is a impressive amp. I agree with everybodys thought about each channel. I generally set chan 1 to mild crunch, chan 2 more like a JCM 800, and then try to tame chan 3 for smooth sounding solo w/o going overboard. I have an early JCM 800 that may be my favorite amp, but it is quite different from the EVH. I prefer my 800, but its tough to compare a 3 channel EVH to a single channel 800.
    Overall its a good amp thats very versatile. I say keep it.

11. hogridr

hogridr Member

I have one and love it. It is better than any of the previous 5150's IMO. Cleans that the earlier ones just did not have and more gain on tap then you need, but it's nice to have. I have had mine for a year now with now issues, and I play it constantly. I have tried a few attenuators with it for home practice and smaller gigs. I did not like any of them, I would recommend GT's 928-PR "substi-tube". Easy to change back and forth, without tone effects of attenuator.

12. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Tried a 5150 III at a local music store thur the matching cab and was very impressed with the tone. One of the best new amps I've heard in a long time. Wish I could afford one.:(

13. Fezziwig

Fezziwig Member

I've heard one as well, and it sounded great. I'm curious how it would compare to the VHT Sig-X, which seems to be in the same ballpark.

14. cram

cram Member

I almost have three amps from your list right now -

JCM900 4101 100w dual reverb
    I got this amp because it was less on the wallet and I needed a quick solution. It's not my favorite sounding amp, but I've gotten it to sound good for rock/blues. I love the main channel and HATE the lead channel. The lead sounds thin and lacks the body I prefer in my sound.
    Also, the main channel sounded great with the pre set somewhere around 6-7. I had issues with the filter caps - redone due to ghost notes and now works great. I put el34 in there as well.

Jcm800 2204 50w
    this is my new favorite amp. I have nothing bad to say about it. I play two guitars through it; a stnd amer strat and a humbucking tele style guitar. Both sound great and at low gain settings chords and notes just sing and sustain. I have 4 cabs to switch between and all of them sound different, but I can dial in a great sound with all.
    It's my new rock favorite and I'll likely keep this one for a long time. I like simple things and compartmentalized units to do a job and do it well. This single channel amp does it for me.

PV 5150 II
    I've gotten a great sound on the clean channel. It somehow does the high and low end quite nicely for a strat sound. One of the cabs was the 5150 that came with shefields. It really sounded good. I also liked the crunch channel and just like the jcm900 I was turned off by the "lead" channel. I guess I like a simple overdriven tone.
    but the amp had too much hiss to it. I don't like that part. I think (uneducated here) it may be due to how much gain this amp is trying to deliver? I dunno. I wouldn't get this one. I hope the new amp that you chose does a better job in this regard.

it's odd you were testing out a 900.. most people here will jump up on a stool like they were reacting to an icky mouse when they read that amp name. threads titled "the worst amps ever" get tagged with this amp name. I made my amp work for me though so I guess that's all that matters to me.

15. hrtatak

hrtatak Member

I bought a used white half stack a few weeks ago and really like it; the cabinet especially. BUT.........it started popping on channel changes last week. Anyone know the fix ?

16. Guitarzandstuff

Guitarzandstuff Silver Supporting Member

Bought one this weekend and immediateyl gigged with it the same night.

Splawn out! EVH in!!

:D

17. DaBreeze

DaBreeze Member

Too bad this happens; I haven't looked inside one yet, but there's no claims about point 2 point construction on their website, and 2k is way too much to pay for a motherboard amp. I'd hate to think money that could have been used for quality construction & components may have gone to an endorser

18. Bearded

Bearded Member

I haven't played one, but I've played many of the original peavey's, and I think they're very underrated. (The original, not the II) Great crunch tones.

I just want to make the suggestion that you should never A/B anything with a JCM900, as you'll end up buying it. *Anything* will sound so much better than the 900.

Wow. Really? Splawn's are killer amps. I'll definitely have to try one of these now. :dude

19. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Here's a few other options:

Egnater Tourmaster
    Bogner Ecstasy
    Roccaforte Jennelle
    Carvin Legacy
    Reason Amps

Not saying the 5150III is bad, just offering up some other options:AOK