I buffed out the satin finish on my Martin 000-15SM

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by beatcomber, Jun 12, 2019.

1. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

I've been really enjoying pretty much everything about my new Martin 000-15SM except for one thing: the satin finish. It looks and feels plasticky to me, and I just didn't like it.

Ordinarily, I would have just lived with it, out of fear of messing up a not cheap, brand new guitar. It was already developing a smooth spot where my right arm rubs against the body, so I decided to go for it.

I used Nu Finish and some clean cotton rags made from old tee-shirts. My goal was not a smooth high gloss, and I didn't mind the open pores in the grain being visible, which IMO makes it look more vintage and feels more like real wood.

I gave the body and back of the neck about 5 applications of the Nu Finish, and then wiped it down a final time with a regular guitar polishing cloth. To get into the tight spaces around the bridge, I used a cotton swap.

I am very pleased with the final result, which is a sort of eggshell or semi-gloss finish, with just enough gleam to look 'right.'

My suggestion to anyone who attempts this is to do it in a space with natural light, so that you can see how consistently the finish is buffing out across the entire surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Irving Pye, XISTH and Crowder like this.
  2. d-rock

d-rock Supporting Member

Looks great! I just did this to my Martin DM with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax but stood in the auto product isle for a long time looking at the Nu Finish bottle as well. I was getting that smooth finish where my arm rested and decided to make it all uniform. Looks so much better now.

beatcomber likes this.
  3. Irving Pye

Irving Pye Member

Nu Finish is amazing! Now you've no worries about moisture;)

beatcomber likes this.