1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I built a new pedalboard **Construction Pics Added**

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by selahvie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. selahvie

selahvie Member

I've been wanting a bigger board for a while, and inspired in no small part by Kevin at Pumaboards, especially Scott Peterson's board, and also Den's homemade board, I decided to attempt to build one myself. It's made of 3/4 inch Pine and 1/2" plywood for the top. I also found a well padded 49-key keyboard case on eBay for $25 that fits it perfectly and is of surprisingly good quality for the price. Thanks to all those who inspired/helped me in this (I feel like I should send them some kind of royalties :) ). I updated the thread with pics of the construction as well as the finished product...

Here's the frame:

[​IMG]

Tolex being applied:

[​IMG]

Here's the pre-pedals and pre-jacks finished product:

[​IMG]

And here's the finished product...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Updated Pic:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, that's it. It was a fun project and I'd recommend trying it to anyone thinking about building your own...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. somecafone

somecafone Member

Nice job.

I have a question regarding your Baggs PADI.

Are you playing acoustic as well as the Tele? Are you routing the acoustic through the effects?

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

4. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

wow

its smart and colourful, you better watch it cus i would nick it 2day!!
    its great i hope it sounds great as well.

Aj

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

6. livedead13

livedead13 Member

did you remove the finish on that DL4? that looks pretty cool.

nice job on the pedal board!

7. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

Nice work man-o! Very well executed. Makes for one sweet looking set-up. Glad I could be of some inspiration.:)

8. selahvie

selahvie Member

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Yes, I'm also playing acoustic through this rig. The acoustic side of the equation goes Acoustic Guitar -> Korg DT-10 -> Boss EQ-20 -> Ernie Ball Stereo/Pan Pedal (this is basically my A/B 'box' that switches between acoustic and electric) -> Left channel of the DL-4 (electric uses the other channel) -> Baggs Padi

The Ernie Ball pedal is sort of the central hub of the whole thing. When I'm using my Taylor T5 (with an extra acoustic pickup added), it lets me switch back and forth between the acoustic and electric easily as well as blend the two together in any increment I want (forward is electric, back is acoustic and in-between that is blended.)

9. selahvie

selahvie Member

Thanks, Kevin. You really were the inspiriation for the board. I tell everyone who sees mine about your boards. Doing this project made me realize just how unbelievably inexpensive your boards are for the quality that they obviously are. Guys, you need to buy one now before Kevin figures out that he could be charging a lot more!! :)

10. selahvie

selahvie Member

I did - sandpaper, a dremel, and some free time - and VOILA! A silver DL-4...

11. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

12. Austin AL

Austin AL Supporting Member

Awesome Board!!

How did you mount the 1 spot adapters like that? I would love to have something like that on my board.

13. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

Ditto! (Although I'm not 100% clear on how the One Spot works.)

14. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

That is a great, well thought out board! How are you handling ground lift issues on the acoustic side as the PADI doesn't have a ground lift, or are you not worrying about it?

Brett

15. bduguay

bduguay Member

That is one fine looking piece'o'gear for sure. Now, about those handles, I need some splaining!
    B.

16. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

How long did it take you to build this? How much experience do you have with carpentry?

17. selahvie

selahvie Member

It's two of these underneath the board:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-MultiPlug-5-Cable-for-1-SPOT-Adapter?sku=151687

Plugged into two of these:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-489

Soldered to two of these:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-488

Mounted to one of these:
    http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=178577
    (I literally roamed the aisles at Home Depot searching for something to mount them to. I found this in the cabinet hardware section. :) )

And plugged into two of these:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-1-SPOT-SpaceSaving-9V-Adapter?sku=151686

And there you have it... :D

18. selahvie

selahvie Member

At this point, I guess I'm not worrying about it. I've had the PADI for a while, though admittedly I haven't used it that much, but haven't had problem with it (famous last words, I know). I always run it off Phantom power and have had good success so far. I actually just switched from an older Trace Elliot Rack mounted Acoustic preamp that got one of the outputs fried by lightning. It, of course, had a ground lift for the times I needed it. I decided to switch to pedals from the rack (hence the need for the larger board) and added the EQ-20 for tone shaping. I've been pretty happy with it so far.

19. ned911

ned911 Member

Could you show us the under side - rat's nest and all.

20. selahvie

selahvie Member

:D The handles are actually just 8" Stainless Steel cabinet / drawer pulls left over from when I added handles to my office desk. I think I got them from a dealer on eBay for around $2 each.