• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I built smaller, under-wound "Wide Range Humbucker"

Silver Hand

I made this to try and get something similar to a strat neck pickup sound, but without hum. I absolutely LOVE how it sounds! I'm gonna to try a few more winds with this architecture, starting with a bridge pickup that mates well with it. Here are the specs.

Magnets: Threaded A5 rods
Resistance: 6.2 K
Inductance: 2.6 H
Wire: 42 AWG SPN
Wound purely by hand (takes 8 hours)

Last edited:

scott1568

Nice job.
Most people don't understand that inductance is the best measure on how a pickup might sound. How did you measure it?

Silver Hand

Nice job.
Most people don't understand that inductance is the best measure on how a pickup might sound. How did you measure it?
Just with an LCR that was capable of reading inductance in the guitar range. Its pretty nice being able to get a fairly good idea of what a pickup will sound like before I even get it installed in a guitar.

And yeah, inductance is very important. If you read about coils other than just guitar pickups, you'll find a lot more information about induction. I actually had to put in some iron rods and bars under the pickup to get the inductance up where I wanted it on this pickup without winding anymore.

Silver Hand

Very cool! Can we get some clips?
I'll record something with it eventually. Its currently not set up in my guitar anymore so I can wax pot it.

That sounds like something I'd love to try!
Give it a shot! Its a little bit more work than a normal humbucker because not all parts fit, inductance is lower without all the iron poles, but IMO its so worth it! I find it strange that more pickup makers haven't used this architecture. Its a cool one.

That is sort of what's in the neck of my hollowbody- I just love the way it sounds.
How so? Is it a low wind as well? Does it have magnet rods instead of a bar magnet?

Trending Topics