I built some studio monitor stands - HOW TO (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by chrisross, Apr 20, 2016.

1. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

Hey guys, I recently built some studio monitor stands and took pictures of the process, so I figured y'all might like to see them. I can't take credit for the design, but I can't really credit anyone else either. Basically my buddy gave me the basic idea, which he got from another friend who I don't know. So...not my idea exactly, but I don't know whose it is.

TOOLS

Drill
    Saw (I used a miter saw)
    Square
    pencil

MATERIALS

4 (depending on height): 1x6x8
    1: 1x10x8
    wood glue
    1-1/4" wood screws
    50 lb bag of sand

CUTS

First I cut the 1x6 to the height I wanted minus 1.5". So, if your table surface is 35", cut the 1x6 to 33.5". You'll need 8 of these, and they will be the LEGS.

Then I placed a monitor on the 1x10 and eyeballed how long I needed to cut it to have equal overhang all the way around the monitor. Doesn't need to be an exact figure. Cut 2 of these, they will be the TOPS.

Cut 2 more pieces of 1x10 that are a few inches longer than your tops. Again doesn't have to be an exact length, as long as they are the same. These will be the BOTTOMS.

Finally, cut 4 4" pieces of 1x6. These will be the SUPPORTS.

[​IMG]

ASSEMBLY

Take your 4 top and bottom pieces and all 4 supports. Measure the middle of each edge, and connect the lines, basically dividing each into 4 even sections.

[​IMG]

Use these lines as a guide to screw a support directly in the center of each top and bottom piece.

[​IMG]

Here you can see that the bottom piece is a little longer than the top.

[​IMG]

From this point on we will be gluing and screwing everything!

Take two of your legs and attach them to the supports on the bottom, one on each side.

[​IMG]

Next attach your other two legs. I found it easier to lay the stand on a work bench with the bottom hanging off. Remember to glue!

[​IMG]

You can see that I only screwed the lower half and therefore the upper doesn't line up. Wait until the next step to screw the upper parts so that your top piece will fit snug.

[​IMG]

At this point you can take your tops and they should squeeze down into the legs nice and tight. The support you have will slide right down into the legs. Now screw the upper parts of the legs together, BUT DON'T SCREW IT IN THE TOP YET.

[​IMG]

Now for a test fit with the monitor.

[​IMG]

Next, pull the top back off and fill that sucker up with sand. I used a 50 lb bag and there was probably 5 lbs left over, which means each of these things has about 23 lbs of sand in it! REMEMBER TO LEAVE A LITTLE ROOM FOR YOUR SUPPORT TO FIT.

[​IMG]

Now you can replace the top piece and glue/screw it just like the bottom. If you like the natural look, you're done!

PAINT/STAIN

This is the desk I bought, and I wanted the stands to match it, so I spray painted the bottom by taping off the top pieces, and then I stained the tops cherry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are in my music space. Please ignore the darkness and the naaaaasty carpet (just moved in, replacing it soon).

[​IMG]

Hopefully this helps some of y'all or inspires. These things are HEAVY and there is zero resonance, which is great! If you want to go one step further, you can screw through the bottom and top pieces so that the bottom isn't touching the ground, only the screws. And the monitors aren't sitting on the top, just on the tips of the screws.

Whew, that was harder to type out than it was to build the dang things!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

VERY NICE !!! Good to see folks who still roll there own !! I salute you my good Sir !!!!!:):):):):)
    :D

3. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

very nice!

chrisross likes this.
  4. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

5. BWebb

BWebb Member

They look great. Nice job!

chrisross likes this.
  6. ColeW

ColeW Member

Looks awesome! I've got that desk too! :banana

chrisross likes this.
  7. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Really cool though I would have bought a nicer chair first. Things always sound worse when your butt hurts.

chrisross likes this.
  8. chrisross

I did today actually. Like I said, just moved in there, and slowly replacing/adding furniture.

mixwiz likes this.
  9. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

Wow! Really impressive and sharp looking. I know that this is dumb question, but what is the purpose of the sand? At first I thought that it was to just keep the stands from possibly vibrating, but I suspect that it probably has another purpose.

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Very nice! (I have the light maple version of the 46" desk and its amazing bang for $!)

chrisross likes this.
  11. chrisross

Basically, if you build a wooden box, it will have a hollow sound to it. If you put a speaker on it, some of the vibrations of the speaker will transfer down into the box, which will amplify it, and suddenly you have a muddy, boxy sound. But if you fill the box with sand, or something like lead shot...anything heavy and dense...it will "deaden" the box so that all you hear is the sound coming out of the speaker.

Teal_66 likes this.
  12. chrisross

Agreed, it's a great deal. I'm jealous because when I bought mine I didn't realize maple was an option! Wanna trade? ;)

13. stratjim

stratjim Member

very good job, mate

chrisross likes this.
  14. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

15. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

heck yeah!

chrisross likes this.
  16. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

While you where building those very excellent stands, I recorded my new album...

Nice job! :)

17. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

That makes perfect sense. Very smart.

chrisross likes this.
  18. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

Cool! Awesome work! Excellent match with the desk!:love::beer

I did something similar using Ikea cutting boards:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]