I can not for the life of me get any kind of solo boost.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rich2k4, May 13, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

ok here is what i tried today.

i have a fender hot rod deville.

i set up the clean channel, then set the drive channel so it is the same volume as the clean channel.

i have the footswitch plugged in, to switch between clean and dirty.

now along with that, i have a digitech bad monkey plugged in which i want for my solo boost.

on the pedal i have the level all the way up, bass at around 3 o'clock, treble at 3 o'clock, and gain all the way up.

on the amp i have the clean volume set at around 5, and the master volume (drive channel volume) on about 4.5

clean and drive sound good. then when i step on the bad monkey, it barely gives any kind of volume boost, it just adds more gain (i want it to add a very noticable volume boost, along with gain)

now i do not have the amp maxed all the way on volume, so there should still be plenty of headroom left for it to get louder. i do not understand.

i have had this problem for a very long time, and some of you remember i posted about tbe same problem with my superlead plexi amp.

all these boost pedals are reccomended, but they do not work anywhere near how i want them to work.

i also have a keeley katana boost that doesn't work how i want it to either.

my only last alternative is to just get a Marshall JVM 410 head. where i set up individual tones, and the amp also has 2 seperate master volumes.

2. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Here is a fairly cheaper solution to your problem than buying a completely new amp. If you like your current tone, here's what I'd do.

Get a Weber Z-Matcher (https://taweber.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm) or something with a line-out with adjustable level control to run between your amp and its speaker, send the signal to a simple on/off or a/b footswitch, then to a Tech21 Power Engine 60 1x12 (http://www.tech21nyc.com/pe60.html). The Power Engine is solid state but sounds just as good (to me) as the tube amp sending the signal to it. It also has treble, mid, bass, and volume controls so you can tailor the sound to the amp being used. You can also have the flexibility with this setup to add a delay in the chain and set it to 100% wet so that your solo boost will just add a huge delayed signal, sounds amazing!

I bought my Z-Matcher for around $90, you can get a cheap a/b box, and I got the Power Engine on eBay used for $150. It's more stuff to carry and possibly have to mic, but it is a cheap way to get it done.

3. rich2k4

i'm hoping I don't have to spend any money.

i see guys with much simpler setups then me, and they get by just fine.

which means I am doing something wrong.

4. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

If you don't want more gain, just volume, put the pedal in the loop and keep the gain down and the volume up. If you want the gain also, sounds like you might need two pedals. One in front and one in the loop.

You are correct, you should be getting a jump in volume as long as your amp is not already pushed so maybe 4.5 on the master volume is all that it has.

5. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

Just re-read your post, try the Keeley in the loop and keep the BM out front. That should do it.

6. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

You need to put something like this in the effects loop.

http://www.award-session.com/solobooster.html

Actually, you can make one for about $20 in parts.

As you describe, anything in the front of the amp is just going to drive the gain harder, but not give you any more volume.

Oh, I see eyeball987 beat me to the punch while I was typing....

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+ 1 trillion... An EQ pedal in the loop is like adding a 3rd channel. All the volume boost you need. Bob

8. awallace

awallace Member

Based on what you've described I'm guessing that you're talking about boosting the overdrive channel not working- boosting the clean is working okay? It sounds to me like you have your preamp gain for the overdrive channel set fairly high... in which case there's no headroom left in the preamp for a volume boost, just the overdrive increase without level increase you are describing.

There's a couple of options- the first (which probably won't be the one you want to use) is to bring the gain down on the overdrive channel but still match the clean channel volume- leave yourself some headroom so that your Bad Monkey gives you a volume boost (along with some additional overdrive). The downside here is that your 'rhythm' overdrive sound when not boosted is going to be less overdriven.

Another way to go is to approach this in reverse- set your overdrive channel on your amp to the solo gain and volume you want- louder than the clean channel. Now set your bad monkey so that when it is engaged it actually lowers the volume to match the clean channel. You can also use the bad monkey controls to maintain a similar amount of overdrive if you wish. Think of it as 'anti-boost'... when you want to do a louder/lead part, just turn OFF the bad monkey. It's unorthodox but it will work... the typical boost pedal doesn't really do much volume boosting if there's no headroom left in the preamp.

Regards and hope this helps,

Aimish Wallace
    Diamond Pedals

9. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Put it (boost pedal) in your FX loop.

10. rich2k4

i just tried the pedal in the fx loop.

same exact thing, barely any volume boost.

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Do you have an EQ pedal to try in the loop? Any pedal with output volume control should be able to really boost a lot in the loop. Bob

12. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

why not use your guitar volume control?
    It's what I do, and I'm in two very loud bands.
    I set my wide open volume to my lead level,
    and turn it down for everything else.
    Hasn't failed me yet, and I've been playing
    this way for many years.

13. rich2k4

i don't like what becomes of the tone when you roll the guitar volume down.

14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Put a volume pedal in the effects loop. Play your rhythm stuff with the pedal backed down a bit, then open the pedal up for your leads.

15. 909one

909one Member

It sounds like its your amp... Past 4 or 5 most tube amps won't give more headroom, but just compression and distortion. You must be on the edge of the out running out of headroom before the boost and the boost just boosts you into that realm. Boost pedals will also hit the preamp harder too, causing it to distort. If you have an amp with a master volume, the way to get the most headroom out of it is the crank the master volume to wide open and then ride the preamp gain. The boost pedal in the chain is similar to hitting the preamp really hard. Don't quote me on this, but its just based on experience.

Maybe you need a louder amp?

16. rich2k4

wouldn't that do the same exact thing as the boost pedal with the volume knob all the way up?

17. rich2k4

60 watts all tube? that seems like more then enough.

funny thing is, the other guitar player in the band uses a hot rod deluxe which is the 40 watt version, and you can always hear him clearly.

i'm going to have to ask him what the hell he is doing.

18. freaksho

freaksho Member

wow, you're still struggling with this? that sucks, man. i remember trying to help you a while back (over at HCAF i think). and i still can't imagine why nothing's working. every boost pedal i've used goes way louder that i'd ever need when put in front of the amp.

but one more try:

about how much volume boost do you need? are we talking twice as loud? 50% louder? 25%?

where is your speaker pointing - at your feet? your head? do your bandmates agree that your solos are too quiet?

what guitar is it? (i'm just shooting in the dark now)

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Good point 909one made. Easy to tell though. If you cant get enough lead volume "boost" by manually turning up the amp with the master volume control youve run out of headroom or volume. If you can then the pedal's your trying dont boost the output enough(which shouldnt need be much if its in the loop).Bob

20. freaksho

freaksho Member

really - you haven't yet?!