I cannot believe the difference a Mercury Magnetics OT made!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Denny, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Denny

Denny Member

Alright guys - this is just unbelievable!!! Y'all know I'd be the first person to knock a company for hype and "voodoo".

Back in September, I had a Winfield amps build me a very custom built high-gain 5-watt, 1x12 screamer. The amp sounder great - especially at "11", but at below half volume/gain, it became a little anemic. I figured this was the nature of the best, and considered hell....it's 5 watts - that' what you get with 5-watts. HOW WRONG I WAS.

I wanted more bass response, and more balls at lower volumes so I considered getting a bigger cab built as well as getting a new speaker.My close friend and amp tech Billy Carruth recommended putting a Mercury Magnetics Output Transformer in there. Those babies are pricey!! Well after hemming and hawing, I did it. I cannot tell you the DRASTIC difference this mod made!!! The amp now is untouchable!!! At any volume, at any gain!!

Did it CHANGE the tone of the amp? No and yes! It kept the good and just TRANSFORMED IT to the most ballsy amp I've ever played, with any guitar, any pickups!

Now this is not an ad for MM's - just I can't believe the difference an OT could make.

d.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    OT upgrades can be HUGE!:AOK

3. hasserl

hasserl Member

Yeah, especially on a single ended amp if the original OT was small. I've experienced this on several amps myself (though the trannies were not MM).

4. John Ward

John Ward Member

Couple of questions. What was the original OT? and what model MM did you switch to? What power tube are you using and do you know if the primary impedance is the same on the OTs?
    Thanks,
    John

5. Teahead

Teahead Member

I took the MM plunge when the stock o/t in my AC30 went bad. It made a huge difference, really tightening up the lows and vastly improving the amp's dynamics. Like putting in the perfect set of tubes or something.

Do output transformers break in and improve with some time? Like speakers?

6. Denny

Denny Member

Wow!! That's pretty technical. it APPEARS that the Original OT was a champ or bronco or similar. The replacement is about 4 to 5 times BIGGER in size and barely fit. it's an SE-5K. Patrick at MM went through the Winfield specs and suggested this one - single ended - 5 watts, 8-ohms - either 6V6, 6L6 or El34. Perfect match. The original had 2 wires, so did the MM. Even I could install it and I'm no amp tech!!!. There's NO words to describe the richness and fullness this mod made!!! I'm actually speechless!

D.

7. Denny

Denny Member

Patrick @ MM said that it will even sound better after about 20 hours or so of playing - I can't even imagine that!!

D.

8. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Billy's a good egg , next time you see him tell him he owes me some pics . ;)

9. John Ward

John Ward Member

Thanks Denny,
    SE-5k that's just what I wanted to know. They have a bunch of different SE OTs.
    John

10. JasonP

JasonP Member

I said the same thing going from MM to Heyboer in my Marshall.

11. Denny

Denny Member

John Ward - It's a BIG transformer!! Barely fit in the chassis/cab!

12. Zim

Zim Member

Way to go D!

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

One more reason to go to solid state amps.:D

14. tybone

tybone Member

I have had good luck with transformer changes. I usually have heyboers in the amps that I want to have a more authentic tone. Hand picked old skanky steel and all that. I recently put a MM tranny in a 5e3 build and it was pretty good. A little more detailed. Without measuring the primary Z it is hard to tell how much difference there is.

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

I did this to my Fargen Dual classic and the results were stunning...

Chow,
    Seegs

16. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

MM iron has the potential to really open an amp up. It's just so hard to choose between them all!

Generally speaking, if your amp came with one of those little tiny Champ OTs, replacing it with *any* large OT will improve things dramatically.

Before I became a MM guy, I was buying a Heyboer SE OT from Allen amps. That thing is a monster too and is highly recommended at around $35. I think the model number is TO-11 or something like that.

17. Denny

Denny Member

I've been playing since 7am this morning (wife is away till tonight) and the more I play, the more I'm hearing! Even in the highest gain setting, strings ring clear and long and I actually hear the subtleties from each guitar and playing style. My only fear is that if this keeps up, my playing won't do the amp justice LOL!! The MM's are pricey for sure, but I'm just tired of pissing away hard earned money on "voodoo, mojo & Hype"! It's the single most thing I've ever done to upgrade my tone, the best money I've ever spent (better than pups, strings, pots, speakers, different guitars) and I'll never look back!!!

18. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

How do you figure which OT is best for any given amplifier?

19. Denny

Denny Member

Here's the before and after pictures. The new Tranny is Bigger than the Power Tranny.

The Before

[​IMG]

The After:

[​IMG]

Quite a difference huh?

To answer your question: If you can and speak to the guys at MM, they talk about what you want to do, about your present amp and then suggest what they think will fill the bill. Very knowledgeable and good people.

D.

20. Ogre

Ogre Member

I replaced the OT and choke on my Bassman LTD, and it made a noticeable difference. And yes they do sound better after 20+ hours.