I can't afford a Klon, so what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by IPlayHamers, Sep 15, 2006.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I played a friend's Klon and was floored, but it's way outta my price range. What would you recommend for under $200.

Thanks,

IPH

2. Gdog

Gdog Member

Have you tried a TIM or Timmy? I don't know what TIMs are going for these days, but a Timmy is around a 100 bucks, I believe. The TIM I have. It doesn't quite sound like the Klon, but if you're looking for a boost/mild OD pedal that lets your guitar/amp's true quality shine, give ol' TIM a try.

3. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

If you don't want to wait for a Tim/Timmy the RC Booster can get you in the ballpark of the Klon.

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I agree with Stressfest here.

There is "Klon" thing that only the Klon does in my experience, but I was swapping back and forth between the Klon and the RC the other night and I could get them to perform a similar function.

The RC won't give you as much overdrive but I can get as much gain out of the RC as I actually use from the Klon because I never run the Klon gain above about 10 o'clock.

The TIM is a great value option. Very affordable, great flexibility from clean boosting to overdrive. Swapping opamps lets you tune it to your rig. Only problem is that you'll end up waiting quite a while for one. It really doesn't sound like the Klon though.

5. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

6. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

pedalworx cactus crunch!:BEER

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

I agree with the TIM, but not the Timmy (too harsh). I tried a Barber LTD side by side with a KLON, and thought it was pretty damn close.

8. Stressfest

If you were after a more gainy pedal the AC Booster may be the way to go?? Personally speaking i can't imagine not having an RC in my rig somewhere...found it has more uses/flexability than the Klon.
    The Klons a great clean boost and mild overdrive but that mid thing can be hard to deal with unless you like that kinda thing...

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

RC Booster is NOTHING like the Klon's boost. Klon's boost will color the tone & fatten the notes. It's delicious. RC is a very flat & uncolored boost. Great for pumping other pedals or driving an amp already on fire but, to my ears, boring used solely as a boost.

Drum Roll:

Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive will get you close to the Klon's clean boost and gain stage. The Klon's better but the Sparkle Drive is an awesome pedal. I dig how the clean stage can be set and then the dirt dialed in.

Durham Sex Drive has a Klon like boost. Less beef and more sparkle but it's a killer boost. One of the best. Ever.

10. Stressfest

I guess it depends on your definition of boost. Anything that colours the sound woundn't fall into 'my' definition of a boost. It would be more of an overdrive...
    Absolutely agree though...nothing fattens like the Klon.

11. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

I think the RC Booster is a good choice!

12. eric-d

eric-d Member

I have to disagree, the Sex Drive is NOTHING like the Klon. Just because it's clean with a bit of dirt doesn't put it in the same Group as the Klon. I don't think the Sparkle Drive is that close either. Nice overdrive but not that close. To much in the mids and compression. The Klon is really OPEN in it's sound and just smooth. I agree, nothing fattens like the Klon.

So - Just save the extra cash over the next few months and get the Klon. It's better to get what you really want the first time instead of buying and selling multiple things that you will never be happy with. Not to mention - All the money you lose on the sales of these pedals will equal the cost of the Klon.

13. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Not what you want to hear, but save your money and get a Klon. I've bought just about every "Klon" like pedal out there. They all tend to fall short.

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

The RC booster is great, not very Klon like in terms of it's tranparency (and the Klon's thickening qualities)

Try a Fulltone Fat Boost

15. sanhozay

Okay, maybe the Sex Drive is a stretch but I was only comparing it to the Klon's boost. I agree; very different otherwise. However, for $129 clams the Sparkle Drive is a primarily the same kind of multi functional pedal. It really slams as a clean boost and the gain can be dialed in to have virtually no bass loss. The SD overdrive stage is 100% TS808 and it's a pretty good spin-off. Actually, it's as good as any that I've heard. The TS808 is not my favorite tone but being able to roll in a big amount of clean boost completely changes the pedals personality. Good stuff. Great blues pedal. Yeah, the Klon is a much smoother overdrive with more amp like personality but you can't pick one up at GC for short change either. I'd go for the Klon but said budget, as stated by the thread maker, is asking for a less costly alternative. And I'll be damned if the Sparkle Drive doesn't foot the bill.

Another awesome pedal is the Hot Cake. It functions as a clean boost, overdrive, fuzz and distortion pedal. That baby is under $150. It needs volume like the Klon, otherwise it will sound like a transistor radio. And it really isn't TS-like at all, so it may not partner well with a Blackface style amp. The Hot Cake is a tremendous pedal.

16. eric-d

eric-d Member

Even with all of that said sanhozay - I still feel it's worth the wait and extra money spent on getting it right the first time. I understand that "IPlayHamers" is looking for a cheaper alternative, but the fact is that there aren't any. If he wants the feel, sound, & texture of the Klon, he should work some overtime and get the Klon. That's all there is to it. Because I'm telling you - he'll be dissatisfied repeatedly with all of the "cheaper alternatives" he's going to go through. Then when he goes to sell it for a LOWER price on the used market and buy something else with MORE money to hit the next "alternatives" price, he's losing money in the long run. Repeat this a dozen times and he could have bought a Klon with all the extra cash he has thrown in to fund the next "Klon alternative". So I stress the fact that he should get the Klon right off the bat and not even attempt to screw around with the "cheaper alternatives" that will not deliver the goods anyway.

17. sanhozay

I can't really praise the Klon enough, so I think we both are Centaur fans.

However, lots of people just don't care for the Klons overdrive {I dig it} and seek dirt from other pedals. I really think a pedal like the Hot Cake is equally as valuable as the Klon. It cost 1/3 of what the Klon cost. For certain things I can get the Sparkle Drive to give me something the Klon can't so I think it is also a worthy pedal alongside the Klon, also.

Funny thing is I don't even know what the hell kind of music IPH plays or what kind of gear he's running and here I am telling him what's close. I think the Sparkle Drive is a great alternative to the Klon - I use a Maz 18 Jr and play single coils {Tele/Strat}.

18. eric-d

eric-d Member

Yeah - I noticed... :D

Doesn't matter what he plays. He liked it. I'm not doubting that you can get some of the Klon'esque tones from the sparkle... It's just too much like an 808 where the Klon can get 808'ish in the higher gain registers. I think he should take his rig and everything else he has to see if the Klon blends in with the rest of his toys. From there he will be able to make the decision of buying an alternative or the real thing. :D

19. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I should have mentioned more about the styles of music I play. Sorry about that.

At the moment I primarily do studio work with the occasional live gig thrown in. Guitars are Hamer Studio, Standard and Sunburst, Schecter C-1 Classic and in the next week or so a Gretsch Duo Jet that I played and had to have. (left deposit) Amps include early 70's Traynor Mark 3 1-15" combo (which I believe came stock with a JBL D140F). I also use a 71' Marshall 50 watt half stack and soon to have a ZVex Nano amp. My Universal Audio 1-610 preamp plays a huge role in my studio tone as well as a Mackie 16 channel mixer that has the most wonderful overdrive when pushed. Pedals include a Hughes & Kettner Tubeman (First addition) and a Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah. All other effects come from various Pro Tools plugins.

Styles of music vary from 70's soul styles, to Fripp type textures, to dropped tuned metal, to classic rock in the vein of Zep, Bowie, T-Rex, etc.

I hope this helps,

IPH

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

the other pedals mentioned are all fine pedals but have really nothing to do with the Klon...

if you really loved the Klon and have to have one and you already have $200 to spend...put it aside and wait until you have $350 to get one...get on the list and you won't regret it...

this will avoid the hassle and expense of having to buy and sell several pedals while looking for something that just can't give you or do what the Klon does...

been there and done that and spent far more than a Klon cost trying to find a replacement...in the end I came back to the Klon...

I got an older Silver Logo'd one from 94 and its worth far more (almost 3X) than what I paid for it but it's the pedal I build my rig around so its worth the cost to me...it has bailed me out of more less than ideal live situations than I can remember

Chow,
    Seegs