I Can't Afford a Scumback M75, so I should get...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Whale, Feb 9, 2012.

1. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

This one's really simple. The Scumback M75 seems to be the favorite son of Marshall-ish players here. I have a 1960bx cab with the stock greenbacks and they're pretty broken in. I enjoy that cab, but I can't take it to more than half of our shows. I would like to wire up a 1x12 and my combo with similar speakers, but pairing a 25w speaker with a 50w amp is ill-advised. The Scumback M75 is rated at 65w and is about as efficient as a standard g12m. I could stick one in the combo and another in an extension cab and have a smaller version of the big rig.

The catch is that i'm pretty light right now. So, I'm looking at alternatives. Here are the ones I've found:

Warehouse Speakers: Green Beret, Reaper, or Et65
    Eminence: Private Jack, Tonespotter, Tonker
    Weber: just heard it mentioned occasionally... know little about it.

If I'm wanting to spend less than Scumback, what option would get me closest to the sound I'm hearing from these Scumback-loaded cabs? I know they're no secret magic speaker that is equivalent at 50% of the cost, but what'll get me close.

GO! I'm all ears.

2. kaseri

kaseri Member

Save your pennies and get what you really want, the Scumback. You'll save money in the long run.

3. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Agreed. In the scheme of things, Scumbacks are not really much more. Also, the M75 comes in a 100W version, if that makes a difference.

4. freaksho

freaksho Member

save up?! guys he said he can't afford them. and he wants new speakers now, just like the rest of us.

how about if you get used WGS now and also start a saving plan, then sell them later and to try the Scumbacks. i recommend the Reapers as they are middy and rather smooth. in general i like G12H style (Reapers, H75) more than Greenback style (M75, Green Berets) for Marshall tones, and many people are in my camp. but like you said an equal (and perhaps greater) number go the other way on this. anyway, with my plan you might lose a little dough in buying/selling/shipping but in the long run it might not be too noticeable. the upside is you get to try both styles with very little risk (which i predict you'll end up doing eventually anyway :)).

BIG IMHO:
    i recommend not bothering with the Green Berets. i had a set of WGS Invaders briefly (higher powered Green Berets) and frankly hated them - way too harsh and fizzy. i admit i didn't let them break in at all, but that's only because i couldn't out them out of my cab fast enough. then again they are a very popular model for WGS so i dunno. maybe they just weren't a good match for my amp (Goldfinger45), which can definitely be a bit fizzy at times.

5. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

I really like the Emi Governors in a Marshall type amp. I do own Scumbacks, both 10s and 12s, and they are worth the coin. What ever you decide, if you buy used (of course) you will save a bunch.

-SF

6. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Well, you should probably buy American, BUT---

you can buy Celestions from AvatarSpeakers.com for $99, so why not go with what pretty much every famous rock guitarist has used in their Marshalls since the 60's?

7. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Hopefully I won't raise hell by saying the Weber Legacy is a great speaker in replicating the early Celestion ceramics and these are $99 each at the moment. But then as much one-way praise and opposite way critisism that this board has seen since last spring I can tell some are reluctant buying from those who originally designed and manufactured the speaker corresponding to what the OP is looking for and since added the affore mentioned model to their line.

No tender feet trampled, I hope...

8. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

All - Here's the behind the scenes: I'm not necessarily gunning for M75s. What I like to do is try to find competition for those pieces that seem to rise to the top on TGP. For instance, I like to ask about the 11r vs. Axe-Fx and how they compare. I do this because I've had experiences where I've compared the sought-after piece vs a much less expensive variety and found that the expensive pieces 5x better in my rig. I recently spent $350 on a used KOT v4. This is great pedal for sure. I also have a used Barber LTDsr that I paid $90 for. I thought the LTD was every bit as good as the KOT, and even two of them would be just over half the price of a KOT.

In this case, the Scumbacks are the top-shelf. I'm curious as to whether a Warehouse Reaper or et65 is similar and less expensive.

Just thought I would get opinions, as "alternatives to Scumback m75" searches have yielded little.

9. Onioner

Onioner Member

A cheaper scumback is a Weber legacy. that's pretty much what a legacy is.

10. gulliver

gulliver Member

The ET-65 is as nice as a Scumback, but different. IMHO Scumbacks are better for higher gain tones, they really pop, and the ET-65 has a huge, thick, complex and ratty tone that's better for PAFs and just over the cusp OD. Right now, I have them in cabs next to each other and like going back and forth. My scumbacks are the H75 LHDC, which I liked better than the M75 that I sold.

11. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I'd go V30 if it's a closed back cab.
    The sound is a bit different but it punches through nicely.

12. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Celestion now has a 65 watter (I think). Also, WGS has a great reputation.

13. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I can see spending a little more than the cost of any single speaker to have the opportunity to try two, but your opening line tried to emphasize the fact that he can't afford even the one he's really interested in to begin with, i.e., "...what option would get me closest to the sound I'm hearing from these Scumback-loaded cabs"?

Nothing is going to sound as close to a real Cali-built M75 as a real Cali-built M75. Jim invented the process and is now building them to the highest standards possible. I mean, we're not talking a $1000 more, here. We're a talking a lousy $50-$70 more as part of a total rig worth MANY times more than that.

And, as many people can attest, buying used is not only time-consuming but also very risky. I know one our TGP friends recently went through THREE used EVM-12Ls which all sounded different and not as good as he had hoped, only to end up buying a brand new one, liking it the best and then wondering why he didn't just do that to begin with.

14. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Weber legacy 30 oz 75 hz standard British dustcap
    30 watt 65 or 100 you decide
    I got 2 65 watt

15. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Used Reaper.......great deal. :beer

16. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

Legacy speakers are EXCELLENT!! Just got a pair and am ordering more. Note: cut off date for the sale is 2/14, so people better hurry if they want the $99 price. Note: no affliation with Weber other than being very pleased with a recent purchase.

17. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

No gear purchase is worth financial stretching or stress.

18. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

Maybe I missed it on the website, but are these supposed to be like Greenbacks or the G12H30's?

19. gtr37

gtr37 Member

like a well worn pair of shoes ......

depends on which model ..mostly greenback voiced

20. Miles

Miles Member

Word. And they're uber efficient.

I'd do an Eminence Governor. Meaty midrange.