• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

I can't afford concert tickets anymore.

Exiled_On_Main_St

Are you worried about Jagger losing his mojo? I suspect you may be in the business - so you must know how PR works. There is no way a corporate machine like the Rolling Stones do not have contingency plans in place for multiple age related events. For example Richards I fell out of a
coconut tree and hurt my head i
s a contingency PR for him having an aneurism from doing too much coke.
I think this is all based on assumption...

Keith had a Traumatic Sub Dural Haematoma, not an aneurysmic bleed. I saw the burrhole site in an interview around the time so I’ve no reason to doubt the story.

No, I’m not in the business. I’m a senior nurse and coincidentally I work in a Neurosurgical ICU.

1967SG

Are you worried about Jagger losing his mojo? I suspect you may be in the business - so you must know how PR works. There is no way a corporate machine like the Rolling Stones do not have contingency plans in place for multiple age related events. For example Richards I fell out of a
coconut tree and hurt my head i
s a contingency PR for him having an aneurism from doing too much coke.
If Jagger can't make the gig, they have DLR ready in the wings to sings.:D:D:D

kinmike

Gold Supporting Member
They should just put an additional line on the posters and promotional items that says, "no poor people allowed"

cottonmike

Yeah I can't afford Nokia Pepsi JacobJavit ticket prices.
Also, arenas blow.
So much so, that I saw Tom Petty in the America West Arena (PHX) in '99 or so, and was completely bored.

No punch, no sizzle. Echoey and distant sounding.

They played the songs perfectly. Just couldn't feel the power.

Snoozer. My ex wife thought she liked it, though.

If you wanna see legacy/nostalgia acts in stadiums, you're gonna pay a lot because they have plenty of fans who've made a lot of money, so the demand is there. Not the best value IMO. You can still see a lot of really good music (of all kinds) at affordable prices, especially if you're willing to listen to songs you don't already know the words to.

Guitarheel62

The first time I saw the Rolling Stones I paid $10. When I see concert ticket prices these days I am amazed at how many well-off people there are.
Or people heavily in debt to Credit Card companies.

chrisr777

Saw Santana with the Doobie Brothers a few months ago for $20. Going to see Peter Frampton in a couple of weeks for $20. Both shows all in including fees. Going to see Gary Clark, Jr. for free tonight then Lucas Nelson and Promise Of The Real next week for free.

Good seats for the Who at the Hollywood Bowl are available for $115 plus fees and you can get in the building for $49. Tool at Staples is sold out, but you could have gotten in for $50 when they went on sale. Same for Slayer's final show ever at the Forum. Geoff Tate, Jim Messina, Dave Mason w/Richie Fury, Dokken and a New Year's Eve show with Los Lobos are all coming up in small venues for $50 or less.

You people just aren't trying.

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
Today's touring musicians have to raise ticket prices because record sales don't exist anymore, especially for legacy acts. It's the only way they can make a living and survive. That's the cold hard truth.
Was going to read through this entire thread, but didn't need to. There's the answer.

stanshall

I only go if I get comped or given tickets, the prices of big shows are insane, yet I do sympathize with the artists and understand why prices need to be high in many cases ... but the Rolling Stones are rich enough, thanks anyway ....

I did pony up to see George Clinton & P-Funk though, that was a rare exception these days

I was out of town a couple of weeks ago and missed the Indian classical musical concert I had really been looking forward to, that show would have cost $25, I would gladly have paid that, I'll be bummed out about it for a long time

would have paid to see Dwight Yoakam earlier this summer, we did something with him back in the early '90s that worked out well, big fan, love his voice, couldn't get it together in time, sigh

Papanate

If you can't afford the lifestyle you desire, increase your skills in order to increase your income.

That's not it at all. When I was a kid we went and saw Queen and it was a whopping $8.50 for floor seats. The access by any class of rocker is gone and has been for
far too long. Music used to be more egalitarian - now it's Elitism where favors are doled out for a price.

amigo30

If you can't afford the lifestyle you desire, increase your skills in order to increase your income.
A nice variation on the "let them eat cake" theme.

It's not mathematically possible for everyone to be in the 1%. So there's that flaw with the theory.

ckfoxtrot

If you wanna see legacy/nostalgia acts in stadiums, you're gonna pay a lot because they have plenty of fans who've made a lot of money, so the demand is there. Not the best value IMO. You can still see a lot of really good music (of all kinds) at affordable prices, especially if you're willing to listen to songs you don't already know the words to.
^ legacy acts seem like the worst, in terms of ticket prices. Current big name artists can get a bit pricey, but there are often reasonable ticket prices too.

If you want cheap shows, they're still out there. New or smaller bands playing smaller venues. Tickets for those types of shows over the past few years have run me from ~$10ea to $35ea.

Gary Clark Jr was amazing the other night. $89.50 ea but row 14 (2 rows behind the pit section) not far off from dead center. Mayer, a couple weeks before, for ~$90 ea but back quite a bit further and to the side (still lower level though). Think I was stuck in a bit of a murder zone for kick drum frequency at Mayer though (back just slightly and a bit left of the sound guy).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom