I can't believe I am asking about transparent overdrives

KBN

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine does what you need. Equally capable of boosting and/or being boosted. Flexible eq options, although in an unconventional way and the tone of it is musical and natural without adding too much of its own character. It really finds ways to give you more of what you have or improve what you have. It is best with an amp that is starting to compress a little bit. Can sound a little stiff if the amp isn't cooking a little.

Nonvintage

The RC V2 sounds like a solid pedal to try for what you are going for. I have been using the Scott Henderson model for years for this sort of thing. Active bass and treble eq plus two stages of boost that stay clean until you really kick the knobs.
I concur.

Strummer77

If you’re looking for a transparent, non middy overdrive you can’t go wrong with a Visual Sound Open Road. It’s a very natural sounding pedal, it does sound like an amp being overdriven rather than sounding like you are using a pedal if you know what I mean. Only overdrive I use these days.

Last edited:

theRagman

Supporting Member - Gold
I like the Bogner Wessex for this, and a wide range of other overdrive tones. The OCD and Klon(e) suggestions also ought to do the trick.

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine does what you need. Equally capable of boosting and/or being boosted. Flexible eq options, although in an unconventional way and the tone of it is musical and natural without adding too much of its own character. It really finds ways to give you more of what you have or improve what you have. It is best with an amp that is starting to compress a little bit. Can sound a little stiff if the amp isn't cooking a little.
I had one. It was great for single coils but I never could get it to sound the way I wanted with humbuckers.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Supporting Member
Someone said it earlier - the good old Boss BD2 is probably the most transparent OD pedal I have used in lower gain settings... but I think it’s really rig and user dependent.

There are many options here beyond the three you just in the OP, but the results are pretty subjective to the individual. I love the Amp 11 and find it pretty transparent with my set up, but some here don’t like the A11 in their rigs.

Kevsonic

Supporting Member
In my estimation little comes close to what you wanted like the Timmy. I guess you tried it and moved on from it?

Barber Gain Changer SR (or the original Gain Changer if you find one) is a great move, too.

Of the options you gave, Xotic and DOD are definitely well-rated. Either would be good options.

My personal vote would be Way Huge Pork Loin or Saucy Box. They are perfect for giving you “more” of what you already have in a very pleasing and musical way.

Pazz

Barber Gain Changer

Extremely flexible. Goes from gentle boost to a nice thick Overdrive. They are priced very competitively and you can’t find a nicer guy to buy from.

Hard to lose if you buy a Gain Changer.

Sean413

Mathew effects architect v3. So there’s a 3band eq Incase you need to shape the gain structure 3 clipping styles and a dirty-ish boost. So the weird thing is the gain side doesn’t go above unity(it just breaks up your signal) Which really annoyed me at first but now that I understand it better it makes sense (just a heads up for anyone interested)

Trending Topics