I can't decide! I'd appreciate your input

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by nasonm, Nov 22, 2005.

1. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

I've recently sold off 4 guitars and 5 pedals to fund a new acoustic that will be my only acoustic. I've narrowed it down to the following models:

Gibson Deluxe Songwriter (the one with no cutaway)
    Martin OM-18V
    Larrivee OM-10

I like them all but can't decide which one is for me. I play mostly folkie stuff and almost always play with my fingers (no pick). My previous acoustic was a Martin 00-15 which was great but I want to take my playing to the next level.

I don't like full size dreads (the SWD is a smaller dread shape). I want 1-3/4 nut width. My budget is between 1500-2K.

What do you think?

2. jayn

jayn Member

I'd look for a gently used Martin OM-28V. But, of those choices, the OM18V. Of course, everyone is going to have a different opinion. I happen to like the Martin V series...I have one (V series, not OM) and it plays like butter and sounds great.

3. kilgorekid

kilgorekid Member

I like both the Martin and the Larrivee. It depends on your personal preference/Do you like mahogany (Martin) or do you prefer rosewood (Larrivee)? Go play the guitars you are considering and that will be a big help to you. Good luck.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'd hold off and buy the guitar that you fall in love with. You've sold off a lot of gear to get this guitar, so it should be the right one.

The three guitars you mention are quite different, so I'm surprised that one isn't jumping out as being right for you. The comment about deciding if you prefer rosewood or mahogany is very useful. Personally, I prefer rosewood, but others like mahogany better. Rosewood will tend to have a fuller low end, but mahogany will be punchier.

You might also consider looking at the Santa Cruz OM/PW. They are fabulous guitars, but a little more expensive. If I were getting an OM sized guitar, that is what I would buy.

Good luck,
    Bryan

5. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

That's what I said I was going to do with this purchase...take my time until I found one that felt "right".

But it's soooooo hard not to just order one and hope for the best!

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I agree, but it is much more rewarding to own an instrument that you fell in love with and inspires you to play every time you pick it up. Enjoy the hunt for your dream guitar.

Bryan

7. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Santa Cruz OM/PW

it's a great buy. I've liked every one I've played.

8. rul8agn

rul8agn Member

The first place you need to look is Maury's Music(www.maurysmusic.com). Maury is about an hour from the Martin factory, can get any Martin within a day and only keeps the best ones. Here is a link to the Vintage series on his site...
    http://www.maurysmusic.com/martin_guitar___vintage_series
    For pricing he will usually do 40% off list price so you can basically disregard the sale price he has listed. For example, I know for a fact that the D18VS(12 fret small body dread w/ 1 3/4" ) can be had for $2,099. Talk about an amazing guitar at an amazing price!

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Check out that Lowden F in the Emporium. Smaller size, wider neck, perfect for fingerstyle players.

10. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

I like the Martin OM18V.

11. Gazza

Gazza Member