I can't decide on an analog delay...

EastHastings

So I want to grab an analog delay for my secondary board, but I'm not picky at all in this case, which is making it hard to decide.

Currently stuck between the DM2w and Carbon Copy, but have also considered the CC Bright, Memory Toy, Disaster Transport jr. (ok, not actually analog), and a few others.

Anyone have some feedback or favorite analog delays to recommend? My only requirements are that the enclosure has to be somewhat small (no larger than a typical Strymon pedal) and price shouldn't be outrageous. Analog-voiced digital is fine, tone is more important.

Xvivd Memory is on my list at the moment. It's designed by Howard Davis, father of the DMM, and it's bout $140 on Amazon. It doesn't seem to be available at the usual retailers for some reason. It's not a DMM clone either, but in the same ballpark.

Revelation

Seymour Duncan Vapor Trails is like an update Carbon Copy with a blinking light to show how the delay is and modulation to boot. Love my warm analog pedal. If you want analog and a little cleaner the Boss DM Waza is the one to get

Morgancograve

The malekko 616 is a great little analog delay with control of modulation. Also available dark if that's your thing.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
digitech obscura; no kidding.
catalinbread, catalinbread, catalinbread.
skreddy echo.

TCMx3

I really, really like the Diamond Memory Lane JR. Another digital choice is the El Capistan, I think that's a really good pedal too, especially because it's got some reverb built in so you can save some real estate.

I'm not a fan of the Carbon Copy. I do own one; I hate the modulation on it and while I can take dark repeats, I dont like blown out ones and that's what I get with mine.

There's really absolutely nothing wrong with the DM-2w. If you want a smaller box than the MLjr, that would be my choice I suppose.

EastHastings

I really, really like the Diamond Memory Lane JR. Another digital choice is the El Capistan, I think that's a really good pedal too, especially because it's got some reverb built in so you can save some real estate.

I'm not a fan of the Carbon Copy. I do own one; I hate the modulation on it and while I can take dark repeats, I dont like blown out ones and that's what I get with mine.

There's really absolutely nothing wrong with the DM-2w. If you want a smaller box than the MLjr, that would be my choice I suppose.
The MLjr is definitely an option. It's a little more than i'd like to spend, but I might jump on one if I find a deal on Reverb.

I actually already own an El Cap - it's the #1 delay on my primary board. Love it in every way.

ColonelForbin

The Keeley workstation digital pedals are in quite small enclosures; they are actually smaller than they look.

The delay workstation looks pretty sweet; I've got the mod workstation, which has a couple of delays and reverbs on it.
I think the delay workstation is the same exaxt layout as the super mod, same size; just different fx onboard. (dual DSP)

Tap tempo for the delay rates, and expression pedal control over the other bank, which is primarily reverb, but also has two delays (tape and digital). Delay side has only delays.

Height 2.1"
Width 4.7"
Depth 3.9"
https://robertkeeley.com/product/delay-workstation/

The Delay Workstation has on-board tap tempo on the Delay side and external expression control on the Reverb side.

Effects Include:

Slapback w/reverb

Tape Delay w/tone control

Multi-Head Echo w/3 head control

Analog Delay w/dynamic modulation

Digital Delay w/inverse dynamic modulation

Subdivided Delay w/dotted eighth, eighth, triplet, sixteenth

Ducking w/compression ratio

Pitch Shifting delay with w/octave up/down control

Spring Reverb w/tension control

Chamber Reverb w/filter control

Hall Reverb w/tone control

Plate Reverb w/tone control

Shimmer w/octave up control

Flanged Reverb w/vibrato or random modulation

saltbird

Subscribed.

I've only owned a Carbon Copy and a Malekko Ekko 616.

The carbon copy only seems to sound good at certain settings. Like maybe a few different sweet spots. Anything that isn't a shorter delay just turns to straight mush. The mix knob either seemed too loud or not loud enough, which I think was a dead give away that it wasn't sitting in the mix well (at least for my setup). I only occasionally like the CC as long as I'm not using reverb. If I run it before reverb, forget about it. Total muddy mess. I could never use it live without losing punch and burying myself in the mix.

It worked great as a slapback echo for the singer though. Go figure.

It's been a while since I had the Malekko but I remember liking its crazy pitch bendy modulation. However with no modulation it just didn't sound good to me. I realize everyone has different preferences so it might be awesome to some. It's just not one of those smooth natural sounding delays that are universally easy to like. Definitely an acquired taste.

Both of them didn't have long enough delay times for certain applications. The carbon copy would become too dark past about 2:00 on the dial. So much of a high cut that it seemed to just smear my sound into mud to where I couldn't even really hear any distinct repeats. Almost like a bad reverb pedal.

They also both had the tendency to self oscillate way too soon on the regen dials in my opinion.

I wish I could try one out first but the DM2w seems well received here on TGP so I might just pull the trigger.

Last edited:

Killshakes

The Maxon AD999 is far and away my favorite analog delay. I love mine. Sadly, it fits neither of your requirements (size and price).

If I were looking for analog, compact and reasonably inexpensive I'd probably check out the Vapor Trail, the DM-2w and the Ibanez AD Mini. A Maxon AD9 Pro+ might work well for you too, if you can find one used.

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
The DM-2W deserves all of the the praise it receives, in my opinion.
I love the big box DMM, Ad-999, and old Ibanez Ad-80 ---- And I honestly think that the DM-2W sits right up there. It's certainly worth checking one out.

saltbird

Seriously, seriously considering this. I bought the Keeley Gold Star psychedelic reverb a couple weeks ago and have been very impressed, so I already know Keeley's digital algorithms are great.

The Keeley workstation digital pedals are in quite small enclosures; they are actually smaller than they look.

The delay workstation looks pretty sweet; I've got the mod workstation, which has a couple of delays and reverbs on it.
I think the delay workstation is the same exaxt layout as the super mod, same size; just different fx onboard. (dual DSP)

Tap tempo for the delay rates, and expression pedal control over the other bank, which is primarily reverb, but also has two delays (tape and digital). Delay side has only delays.

Height 2.1"
Width 4.7"
Depth 3.9"
https://robertkeeley.com/product/delay-workstation/

The Delay Workstation has on-board tap tempo on the Delay side and external expression control on the Reverb side.

Effects Include:

Slapback w/reverb

Tape Delay w/tone control

Multi-Head Echo w/3 head control

Analog Delay w/dynamic modulation

Digital Delay w/inverse dynamic modulation

Subdivided Delay w/dotted eighth, eighth, triplet, sixteenth

Ducking w/compression ratio

Pitch Shifting delay with w/octave up/down control

Spring Reverb w/tension control

Chamber Reverb w/filter control

Hall Reverb w/tone control