I can't find a wah I like

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by IronChefChris, Feb 12, 2012.

1. IronChefChris

IronChefChris Member

I've used a Morley Bad Horsie for a longtime but it finally started crapping out on me and that's ok because it's not mine and it's a pretty harsh sounding wah anyway and seems to add a lot of cut to my tone which is unwanted sometimes. I used a Crybaby Original for a show a few days ago and I just don't know how people use these things. Having to click it on then guess if it's on and play it feels so strange. No LED is a pain and there's a lot of tone suck. I also really couldnt feel the thing when i pushed on the switch...I can't stand that guessing. The Crybaby also just feels hard to play...loose feeling pedal compared to the Morley, but does have a better tone I think and is slimmer which is nice. I think it's only a problem with me because of the way I'll hit a wah randomly and very quickly in songs so I love having an optical wah, but does anyone make one that sounds good? I'd like to hear some thoughts on a few...The Chi Wah has really started interesting me specifically...

2. dascher

dascher Member

For traditional wahs RMC is the way to go.

3. IronChefChris

IronChefChris Member

Yeah but I just want to avoid push switches...unless they make one that you can actually feel it switch unlike the Crybaby

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

There is/was a switchless Crybaby...

5. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

teese was by far my favorite, although a USA made vox 847 was decent. I am using a modded crybaby now that I tolerate, but even with the mods it is substandard. I don't use wah enough to justify more than the $40 I paid for this one. It has the fasel, true bypass, etc. mods. Good, but no where near my teese.

6. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Fulltone Deluxe Clyde Wah sounds great, is built like a tank,clicks when you turn it on, and has an LED light.

7. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

Wilson Freaker Wah. Crazy cool!

8. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

dunlop kh95 and a g-lab wah-pad
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  9. wyatt3

wyatt3 Trem-Verb-Vibe, The 3 Kings Silver Supporting Member

10. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

I don't think it's true bypass. It doesn't say true bypass on the site and I've heard others say it's not true bypass, but buffered bypass, when in the full heel position.

11. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

I use wah only very sparingly, and I've been happy with my Morley Maverick mini-wah. I love that it's switchless.

12. Fuzz Of Doom

Fuzz Of Doom Member

The BBE Wah. I just got one of these last month and it ended my search. True bypass, bright blue led, halo inductor, ability to change the wah tone with the side knob, great sweep, just all around awesome.

13. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

[edit]deleted[/edit]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  14. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I like the ZVex Wah Probe... But, I don't use wah in a traditional way. I'm more into the filtery swell sounding technique. It can get a good traditional sound, though. You may want to check it out. It's definately the most fun wah I've ever used, that's for sure!

15. oxtone

oxtone Member

Teese Picture Wah sounds great, with a nice, vocal quality to it. And Geoffrey Teese has the best customer service in the business!

16. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

Zvex wah probe is my favorite ever.

For more conventional sounds, I use my Wilson Tunable Colorful Clone (colorsound clone).

17. Rock Steady

Rock Steady Member

I have a $60 morley mini wah. Sounds great before dirt. Sounds like crap after dirt and sounds extra crap on clean channel. Im happy with it though lol

18. FAC

FAC Member

In general, I don't like wah...I've always felt the ones I've tried (including some high end ones) were harsh in the top end. But, everyone needs a wah, right? I was perpetually on the lookout for one that I could get along with...I was one step away from admitting that everyone, except me, needs a wah.

Enter the Wilson tunable Colorful Clone...the only wah that I actually like. The top end is never harsh for me (I will use the cliche "musical" top end...because it is...). I like the tone vs. other wah pedals.

19. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Damn! I had never heard of the Zvex Wah Probe before. That is utterly ingenius!

I never look at that guy's stuff 'cause it's always so spendy, but damn!!! I may "need" this.

20. IronChefChris

IronChefChris Member

no love for the chi-wah from plutoneium?