i cant get a good recording at all. can someone help me.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wsaraceni, Sep 7, 2005.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i have a sm-57 into a m-box. pretty simple. i just want to set it up so i can record some clips of my amps and to practice and stuff. for some reason i have no clue what i am doing because it sounds like crap no matter what. really thin, constantly clipping, and volume is extremely low.

i have the mic plugged in. set to mic level. i adjust the knob until it clips, then i back it off slightly so it wont clip anymore. i set up the track to record. press record. play.

then i go to playback and it sucks. am i missing a critical step that is causing me to sound like crap (besides the lack of talent)

ive also tried like 1000 different mic placements. all the same problems.

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Is the amp clean or dirty?

What amp? Pedals?

3. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

You might need to run the mic through a comp/limiter before the recorder to fatten up the sound and keep it from clipping.

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Check the simple stuff first, like the mic cable and the mic. Try the other input on the m-box.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

What does it sound like?

6. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

either...mostly dirty. hot cat 30r through a bad cat 2x12

i will try the cables and a different mic to see if those are giving me the problemss

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

it sounds really quiet. like about 1/6th of the normal volume of a cd or mp3 you would play. it also sounds verry fuzzy and unrefined. maybe i should post a clip of what it sounds like as a wav just from a quick track.

8. LSchefman

I had a Hot Cat 30 that I recorded quite a bit with a 57, so at least we have a common starting point. I never use compression to record electric guitars dirty, and only sometimes to record them clean, so I know it can be done.

This problem sounds an awful lot like a level matching problem. In other words, in order not to overload the mic preamp, you're turning the input level way down, so the tracks sound quiet. If you turn the input level up, you're getting that crackly distortion from the mic preamp. However, the little red overload light may or may not be accurate...you might be able to record and not worry about it, assuming you're not getting the crackling sound from the preamp being overloaded.

I'm guessing that your mic preamp may not have sufficient dynamic range to handle the hot cat at a decent level. It's possible that you might get a better recording by lowering the amp's master volume (you've probably tried this). It's also possible that you might have to try a different mic preamp, or even a compressor.

I found that when using a 57 with my Hot Cat on a Vintage 30, I liked to put the mic at a slight angle between the edge of the cone and the center of the cone. Angling the mic can help with overload (you may have tried this also, so forgive me if I'm guessing here).

Anyway, I know that it is possible to make good recordings with your amp and cab, and a 57, so keep at it.

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

if i was to get a really nice preamp. would i then put that into the m-box? i havent tried anything specifically. ill try some of the suggestions out tonight and see if that helps. the level matching seems to be exactly what i am experiencing. i just dont quite understand why it sounds like im overloading the pre even if i turn it down a decent amount before it hits the red zone.

10. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

angle pointed in towards the center. or pointed out towards the edge? how much of an angle. ive tried everything from straight on to about 45 degrees. same problems. im going to try it again tonight though.

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

seems i switched to input one and i get better results. i have a .wav file that has a pretty good level when checked against a mp3 through the same speakers. i wonder if input 2 of the mbox is fried or if i was just overloading it. any way of finding out?

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I think Les is probably correct.

13. LSchefman

I usually angle with the mic pointed toward the center. If one of the inputs sounds better than the other one, it's possible you may have a bad preamp, but I am not familiar enough with that unit to know.