1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

I cant seem to find a Pantera Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sid, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Sid

Sid Member

Yep ... I want something that will do it..that much of gain without some certain problems:
    Excessive noise
    non TB

The metalzone is far too noisy

The tonebone wont gimme enough gain

Other options:
    Metal Muff
    MXR Dime(heard this one doesnt go that heavy)
    Tubezone
    Zoom Tri metal

I know the metal pedal thread is done...but I need a pedal to go as heavy as pantera does...

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
    anyone know what dime is using at the end of floods?:Di love that effect

thanks

2. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

I don't know Pantera that well, but I haven't found anything heavier than the Trimetal. Suprisingly quiet for such a gainy, aggressive, kill-everyone-in-the-room box

3. Sid

Sid Member

hmm interesting..i must check it out then:D
    sigh i just dont want another buffer in my chain:BITCH

am considering the screwdriver -> blackstar stack:D

4. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I haven't ever found stacking pedals to give me a satisfactory heavy sound...it's distorted for sure, but not heavy. But that's my experience, YMMV.

I REALLY liked the Metal Muff for old-school metal sounds and it's got a good amount of gain to get Pantera stuff. I would highly recommend checking it out. If you REALLY want to nail that Pantera sound, get the Metal Muff and an MXR 10-band. Put the EQ after the dirt pedal and get the voicing just right.

Heavy sounds are a combination of the right kind of gain and the right EQ.

I just grabbed a Marshall Guv'nor Plus last night and I'm really digging it. You should also check out the Jackhammer. They are both a little more Marshall flavor than what Pantera sounds like (Randall's are unique amps), but it might do the trick.

5. Sid

Sid Member

I would much rather play opeth than pantera for most purposes....but I do cover a few Pantera songs from time to time...;)..I find that Pantera sounds dead without enough gain

Jarick: how much gain does the metal muff have? as much as the metalzone??

what about the nano series?:angel

6. $uperpuma

$uperpuma Member

a Metal Muff, driven into the right settings on an amp will give an awesome amount of gain... if you have a tube amp, the top boost used in conjunction with the higain settings will just punish some speakers... Also, you could build or have built a "dr. boogey" its a pedal based on the red channel onf a dual rectifier... its all the rage in the DIY circles... I am in the process of building one... mxr has the DIME distortion as well...

7. Sid

Sid Member

I run my pedals into a completely clean solid state amp..my guitars an ibanez and i use has sound pickups...14K on the bridge....

Does the DIME really do pantera tones??am looking for their later tones..not the cowboys album...:crazyguy

a comparison between the metal muff and the metalzone?:D

8. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

I dont think there is much of a comparison. I like the metalzone until it goes above bedroom levels and then i think its worthless. The metal muff is pretty good at gig volume. I found the top boost to be just about worthless though. I would go with a tri metal or what i use ---zoom driver 5000. Before i got the driver, i tried everything i could. I owned a metalzone, uber metal, warp factor, the digitech one, a peavey XXL head with XXX 4x12 and the zoom driver. I think the driver is the best and i sold everything else. When the metal muff came out, i bought it and tested it against my driver and i wound up selling it too. The zoom driver has a built in noisegate so it is dead quiet. I dont have any other pedals that compare to how quiet it is. I think the trimetal is the same thing but im not sure. You have to find them used cuase they stopped making them a while ago but they are still pretty cheap. I use an eq after mine to dial in just about any sound.

9. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Might want to check out the Krank pedal since Dime was using their amps towards the end of his life. Never played one, heard good things, even if a lot of people hated the hype over the amps.

Both the Metal Muff and the Metal Zone have way more gain than necessary...Metal Muff has more usable gain though. I really dig the pedal.

10. Sid

Sid Member

thanks a lot guys....i guess i gotta do more research

any clues on the last part in floods?;)

11. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Yeah, I also thought the stock Metalzone was too noisy and aritificial sounding. I kinda like the Zoom Tri-Metal, you can get a nice scooped heavy metal tone but the footswitch on mine is faulty and to me it's a little too flubby and loose in the bass. Unfortunately, I can't find anybody who wants to try and mod it or fix the footswitch for me. I would also recommend looking at the Krank or Metal Muff pedals.

12. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

what part of the song?

13. Sid

Sid Member

The outro...just the guitars playing the ninths:dude

14. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

If you are talking about the part at 6:20 its fuzz and delay and there are sound effects going on in the background. If thata not the part you are talking about then tell me when it starts.

15. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Hey Sid,

How are ya?

Listen...G2D Morpheus. I'm telling you. Brutal. Crushing. Angry. Piss and Vinegar. G2D are out of New Zealand, and they make some great stuff. I had a Morpheus, and I ended up not keeping it ONLY because it was too heavy for the band I'm currently playing with. It is the *best* metal pedal I have ever heard, bar none. It has a built-in noise gate as well. True bypass, quiet operation, and enough gain to split your skull. No fizz or cheeze either. Sounds very convincing. Seriously, check one out.

Doc :dude

16. Sid

Sid Member

G2D is a lil to exp for me man:joI wish i could afford it right now....i guess in the future...right now lookin at a cheaper alternative

17. Sid

Sid Member

oh yea thats the part....I was wondering if he had some chorus of maybe a wee bit of phaser on it....:jo

18. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Here's a thought: stack a graphic eq behind whatever you're using right now for your high gain sound. You can really scoop the hell out of it, or add some bottom end or whatever. I used to have an Emma Reeza which was pretty heavy sounding on its own, but with a sniper mod'd ge-7 after it, I could pretty much nail a wide range of metal sounds.

19. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

Sid, you may want to check out the DNA Gainfxxer, it has an insane amount of gain is very quiet and articulate as well, a killer pedal...

20. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

There are some pretty convincing clips at pedalgeek.com under the Landmine pedal. Sounds like a versatile pedal...might be total crap too :D