I can't take it anymore...STOP with the autotune! Stand up sing!

LavaMan

Like....

Steve Perry....Robert Plant...Celine Dion.....Freddie Mercury...Dennis DeYoung....Nancy Wilson....Annie Lennox....Paul Mcartney....Bono.....and all the other greats....

This technology should just be banned....and made illegal for hidding bad singing....

Sorry rant over...

It's just the popular thing in popular music right now. In a decade it'll probably sound as outdated and stupid as boy bands do today.

2leod

Re-Member
Worth remembering that some on that list are using it as an effect, as their singing abilities are proven.

LavaMan

Worth remembering that some on that list are using it as an effect, as their singing abilities are proven.
None on the list in my OP have ever used autotune - as far as I know anyway...that's the point...

rob2001

I hate to be captain obvious but we don't have to listen to it. I've come to the conclusion that as much as I've loved pop music in the past, it's just not made for my ears anymore.

Funny thing, thats not to say that when I hear A.T. I automatically hate the music. And I do wonder how many songs I think are "pure" but are really touched up.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
- as far as I know anyway...that's the point...
You are not objecting to AT as a fixup (you just did not hear it), rather as an effect/enhancer to actually hide truly awful vocals or, and you know this is true, because people LIKE the warble effect as an ear-catcher.

It's quite unbelievable how it has become so popular, as such.

Production folks know what they are doing.

Bobby D

what's really sad is that my 14 year old daughter, who CAN sing, is emulating the autotune effect with her voice :facepalm:

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
I was surprised to hear what's his name use it after Cher. I thought it was done then. What was that 10 or 12 years ago?

I dunno.....it has no bearing on anything I listen to, at least not by choice.

edit: Kid Rock.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Anyone can make music these days, it doesn't matter if they can sing or not. :red It's all about the money.

2leod

Re-Member
None on the list in my OP have ever used autotune - as far as I know anyway...that's the point...
Ah - gotcha. I was confused, as Celine Dion was widely reported to have used it, though I'm not familiar enough with her library to say.

SteveO

It used to be all about the radio, so the singers with great voices were predominant. Nowadays, it's all about the video and who is the purtiest.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
For now, it's become a signature effect of certain kinds of music, like overdriven guitar in certain kinds of rock, etc. I hear people who can really sing use it sometimes, which really makes me want to puke. Enough already! It's gone way past the cliche stage IMO.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
It's a producer's tool more than a singer's at this point. I think it's just become an easy way to say "Hey this is happening music! It's got the latest sounds!" But the latest is getting pretty un-late, IMO. Time for something new!

Trending Topics