I Changed The Tuners On My ES-330

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratotonedude, Jun 8, 2008.

1. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I have a 1960 ES-330TD that was until yesterday all original. But a couple of the tuners felt like their buttons might eventually break off or crumble. So I replaced them with reissue Klusons before anything happened to the old tuners. I still have the old tuners put up in case I ever have a reason to restore it. Though I doubt I will ever want to sell that ES-330. The only difference between the reissue Klusons I put on is that the new ones have tulip buttons. The old ones have butterbean buttons.

2. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

I, for one, feel A LOT better, now. :D

3. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

Yeah, I caught that on CNN last night. Amazing story!

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I guess the new ones work better...

5. Bob V

Bob V Member

Some celluloid (or other early plastic formulations) buttons will crumble, and if they smell, then you might have a problem. Try wrapping each one in plastic wrap so that they don't start to affect the other healthy ones - or any other celluloid you have around in your parts box - I have a set of tuners with black buttons I saved from a late forties Gretsch, in a plastic bag, and now they're all white and pitted and crumbly.

6. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

It's great for collectors that they care about originality and all that good stuff and I hope your guitar retains all it's value... but good for you. Guitar's are a hell of a lot more fun when you can play them and they hold pitch.