I cold called a famous producer to mix my debut album, and it worked! (Skynyrd/Journey producer)

Aahzz

Very, very cool tune and an excellent story. I'll keep my ears open for y'all. I added "Far" to my primary Spotify playlist :).

brcampbe01

The band was called Danger Bird before, which I always thought was a bit cheesy but Kevin told us it would get us sued so luckily now we have a better one! And thanks for all the kind words!

Strummerfan

Very cool story. It must be very exciting to have such a respected industry professional agree to work with you at such an early stage in your career. The track sounds really good, and I wish you guys all the success you could hope for.

mr k

The band was called Danger Bird before, which I always thought was a bit cheesy but Kevin told us it would get us sued so luckily now we have a better one! And thanks for all the kind words!
Great post and story B
Y'all will make your band dreams come true.

brcampbe01

Yeah it's really cool. My mother's favorite album when I was a kid was Journey's "Frontiers", she listened to it all the time and that was Kevin's pinnacle album with that band. Never thought I'd be working with the guy that recorded and mixed it! Every time I hear "Separate Ways" come on the radio now I'm just like... damn.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I very much like the new song. The mix is superb to my ears - I would go so far as to say it’s perfect for the song. All of the instruments are present and crisp yet so are the vocals and I could hear every word clearly. The drums freaking pop! Is that you on guitar? Whoever put the solo together knows how to build a good one. All in all, very well done!

brcampbe01

The #1 main reason I sought out Kevin is because he mixes specifically with the consumer listener in mind, whether it's through radio, car speakers, phone speakers, or hi-fi playback. He wants them to feel like they have the best seat in the house at the band's best live show. He knocked it out of the park here in my opinion just like I knew he would. Here is the song in lossless format on Sound Cloud, it sounds even better than on that YouTube player:

Fortune Child - Far

brcampbe01

I very much like the new song. The mix is superb to my ears - I would go so far as to say it’s perfect for the song. All of the instruments are present and crisp yet so are the vocals and I could hear every word clearly. The drums freaking pop! Is that you on guitar? Whoever put the solo together knows how to build a good one. All in all, very well done!
That's Buddy Crump on guitar. Prior to this album he primarily played everything he did on a vintage 70s hardtail Strat but it just didn't have enough kick for this music. So we went out and found him the perfect Les Paul Standard to give the sound more punch, specifically for this album. That guitar has a born on date in July 2021 so it was literally brand new when we went into the studio. Everything he does now is on that Les Paul and a Marshall 2466 100W Vintage Modern. It sounds KILLER live indoors.

soggywaffle17

Great song, and to echo the previous posts about sounding good on a phone speaker, that’s incredible! I could actually hear the bass while listening on my iPhone speaker. I’ll give it a spin on Spotify on the main system in a bit when everyone wakes up!

Nice song! If I may, it almost sounds like it wants some synth pads or some strings starting at the second verse. The rhythm guitar part is really cool, but the mutes leave me wanting just a little more sound in that space.

Good luck with it all! Sounds like things are getting pretty exciting for you.

rykus

Gold Supporting Member
Way to put yourself out there!

Sounds really good, I loved the guitar tone and the sound of the song was really great overall too!

Best of luck in the next few months, should be some crazy opportunities to shine!

brcampbe01

Way to put yourself out there!

Sounds really good, I loved the guitar tone and the sound of the song was really great overall too!

Best of luck in the next few months, should be some crazy opportunities to shine!

Thanks! We really hope so, we're kind of making it up as we go but we've gotten some great advice from some good people to help steer us in the right direction.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom