I could be the owner of a '63 Jazzmaster!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teddy boy, Sep 6, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I've been offered this guitar and it looks like I'm buying! It's a gem!!

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1963_Fender_Jazzmaster_L01835.htm

Obviously the guitar isn't at the shop anymore but these are the best pics of the guitar. I've been looking at Jazzmasters for a while now but I've felt like the Japanese and AVRI-series guitars aren't quite what I'm looking for in terms of price and looks. Plus this maybe the last chance I ever get to own a pre-CBS Fender.

According to the present owners and the guys at Vintage Guitars in Stockholm the guitar was originally a custom colour but was refinned to a sunburst at the Hägström factory (Swedish Fender distributor at the time) in 1965. They reckon the sunburst is original, i.e. the custom colour was applied on top of a sunburst. The custom colour came with a matching headstock, so a new decal was applied to the headstock during the refin.

All the solders are untouched and the parts look original although to me it seems the tuners have been changed. I trust the guys at Vintage Guitars, they are the top vintage Fender people in Scandinavia. I'm going to pick up the guitar this week. Are there any things I should still look out for whilst examining it?

I hope it's a player because otherwise I'll probably sell it. I buy guitars to play!

2. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Wow... Nice... Not much more to say, than Wow... Nice...

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

simply gorgeous guitar.

I have a reissue in the same finish as yours. And yes you can probably tell it's a player :D

[​IMG]

4. Joe M

Joe M Member

teddy boy, what's that funky looking scribbly thing on the front of the headstock just above the nut????

5. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Whoah nelly, you sure been acquiring a lot of REALLY nice gear recently!!! How's the new album coming?

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Joe M., looks like it's been hanging on the wall. Just some laquer dust or something. Is that what you mean?

Andy J., yes, I guess I have! The album is just about ready. A few vocals and overdubs + mixing and we're done. I'm so glad! Sorry I missed your gig. I had some "biologist" stuff and spent he night in the woods. Matti was there though... being very noisy I heard!

7. Joe M

Joe M Member

teddy boy, no, I mean right on the face of the headstock, right under the D and G strings....

8. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Nice looking guitar. I have a couple of pre-CBS JMs .. you're gonna like it. If you don't like it, get it set up by someone who knows who to set them up well .. then you're sure to like it!

FWIW that doesn't look like a Fender sunburst to me .. you usually see yellow/red/black not yellow/brown/black, plus the black rim isn't thick enough on the front .. and in fact it looks too nicely done, that lovely feathering effect in the brown layer .. but: never say never, maybe Fender put the custom colour over it because it didn't look right to them.

Enjoy! :)

9. basscracker

basscracker Guest

i would like to see it with the pickgurad off.looks like forearm wear,wore the black/brown off,see the wider band on the back of the guitar.

[FONT=verdana,arial,helv,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE][/FONT] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Damn, that's a fine looking piece of ash. :D

I've been playng the heck out of my AVRI lately, and it's made me have rumblings for a vintage JM. So, if it turns out not to be to your liking, I'll be happy to take it off your hands. ;)

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

...or alder? I think it maybe alder.

basscracker/mezcalhead: yep, the sunburst looks really nice. I'm used to seeing quite a "yellow" centre on 63-65 Fenders so this doesn't look quite right. It could be a Hägström-paintjob after all. It's nicely done be it Fender or Hägstrom. The colouration on the relief does look more like forearm wear.

12. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Great, looking forward to hearing it! No problem 'bout the gig, Matti represented you guys just fine...:)