• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I could never bond with the OCD until I used it as a boost

Hcklr

Silver Supporting Member
I've tried the Fulltone OCD over and over again, with different amps and different Les Paul's. I just couldn't ever get it to not sound harsh and fizzy - then I decided to try it with the gain way down to boost my other overdrives - and WOW! I think that is what this pedal is made for.

I've currently got it on my board with my Barber Gain Changer and my BB Preamp. I use the Gain Changer as an always on low gain through my Mesa Electra Dyne. I boost THAT with the BB Preamp for higher gain, and I boost those two together with the OCD. It's probably the happiest I've been with my gain stages in a long time. I don't see changing this setup.

If you're like me and could never bond with the OCD by itself, try using it as a boost. It adds gain and volume WITHOUT the fizz and harshness. This pedal is NOW a keeper.

Last edited:

Boomstick

When I picked up my Super Reverb, I tried an OCD with it. I heard many people have great results from other people with the Super Reverb and OCD (a store employee said he ran a Twin and OCD actually), but I found it quite difficult to not sound harsh. I probably would have got there eventually, or maybe it would have paired better with a guitar with louder, darker pickups which may have helped tame the over brightness (I was using a Les Paul with '57 Classics). Then I tried a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret and that was the pedal for me with the Super Reverb. I did try turning the gain down and the volume up too -- first thing I usually do when the pedal seems to bright so good advice there. It didn't matter too much, but I'm pretty sure this was just a tough amp and pedal pairing in my case.

Last edited:

Anthony Gring

Gold Supporting Member
I've had a v1 OCD since they first came out. On and off my board since then but using all the time last four years.

I use Tele / Strat into vox circuits. It is set LP , tone 10 o'clock , drive 9-10 o'clock ,vol around noon.
Doesn't sound harsh.

My other drive is a RAT that is also set up 9-10 o'clock on drive/gain. It's on most of the time. I will use OCD to stack into the RAT using like OP stated , a boost / thickener when needed.

It's also great by itself. It's a great pedal imo. YMMV..........,.

stratowine

When I picked up my Super Reverb, I tried an OCD with it. I heard many people have great results from other people with the Super Reverb and OCD (a store employee said he ran a Twin and OCD actually), but I found it quite difficult to not sound harsh. I probably would have got there eventually, or maybe it would have paired better with a guitar with louder, darker pickups which may have helped tame the over brightness (I was using a Les Paul with '57 Classics). Then I tried a Caitlinbread Dirty Little Secret and that was the pedal for me with the Super Reverb. I did try turning the gain down and the volume up too -- first thing I usually do when the pedal seems to bright so good advice there. It didn't matter too much, but I'm pretty sure this was just a tough amp and pedal pairing in my case.
Same experience here.
Gigged with a SR and my ocd last year and I got a horrible tone. I like this pedal btw...I don't find it harsh in my rig(LP+Tele+Super Lead)

Boomstick

I don't find it harsh in my rig(LP+Tele+Super Lead)
Well that confirms my theory, just not the right amp for the pedal. Like judging a Rat from a Marshall and not an AC30 (I hear it's just as good with a SR but it's a great pedal with an AC30). I might have to pick one up to try with my Studio 15 at some point.

broken_sound

Silver Supporting Member
Just like OP....I've always found the OCD to be a terrible overdrive, but a GREAT boost. I generally crank the master, 0 the gain, and add a little darkness to it which balances it out being naturally treble-y.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
I have a v1 also. Never went crazy over it. I like they way chords sound nice and full. But leads and fills leave me wondering for more. Got a mojo mojo last month. I like that pedal thus far for leads and fills

ColonelForbin

I've tried the Fulltone OCD over and over again, with different amps and different Les Paul's. I just couldn't ever get it to not sound harsh and fizzy - then I decided to try it with the gain way down to boost my other overdrives - and WOW! I think that is what this pedal is made for.

I've currently got it on my board with my Barber Gain Changer and my BB Preamp. I use the Gain Changer as an always on low gain through my Mesa Electra Dyne. I boost THAT with the BB Preamp for higher gain, and I boost those two together with the OCD. It's probably the happiest I've been with my gain stages in a long time. I don't see changing this setup.

If you're like me and could never bond with the OCD by itself, try using it as a boost. It adds gain and volume WITHOUT the fizz and harshness. This pedal is NOW a keeper.
I'm going to try that! I've had some of the same issues you described.. I love the pedal, can't seem to let it go.. I'm in the midst of overhauling my board, and I will give it a try! I'm thinking of also running it at 18v; after my primary dirt, before some MIAB type pedals.. Might even try bumping it to farther down the chain, maybe between the two MIAB pedals so it's after my limiter..

thanks for the idea! it's all about gain staging..

Bogner

I don't use pedals a lot as I am an amp guy but I don't get a harsh tone out of my OCD. In fact it has some nice dynamics to it.

stratowine

After reading this 3D I tested the OCD set as a boost on a Mesa caliber 50+.
It sounds great on both channels(clean and dirty). It has a flat eq, no mid hump or bass cut, it does not mess with the own amp's voice. A bit harsh in the treble and on the higher strings but with tone at 9 the tone is well focused and balanced. Mine was running at 18V.

gigs

First thing, run it at 18 volts. Turn down the gain on the pedal. Use your guitar volume control and pick attack to get different stuff from it. It's a great pedal, especially going into a clean platform. With single coils, my guitar volume is rarely above 8.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom