I could use some help, please.

bullfrogblues

Gold Supporting Member
A friend brought his Korean built Koa veneered Strat because one of the 2 point trem posts broke out of the body.

Someone suggested this item on Ebay and I hurriedly ordered, but it will take a few weeks to get here from China.

After looking at the specs, this is 75mm cl post to post, and the Fender is in the 60mm range, but not exactly.
Do any of you know if there is something like this that will fit a 2 point Fender trem, or will I have to cut this down when I get it?
The Strat seems to be made of balsa wood, though it's probably Paulownia or something similar.
I've already glued the broken out piece back into the body, but I'm not confident that it will hold. Hopefully the owner will want to deck the trem and there will be no more pressure on the studs.
Thanks!

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
I'm not sure how you did the repair, but if you fixed it properly it won't ever break there again.

Personally, I've often thought that there should be a cross grain piece of wood inlayed right in front of the post from day one to keep this from happening in the first place. It's such a common repair when the post is right near the pickup cavity.

bullfrogblues

Gold Supporting Member
John, I was able to glue the broken piece back in with Titebond, it fit nice and tight and I made a make shift clamp to hold it in place. I see that the part I ordered above is for a Floyd, so it won't fit this guitar unless I cut it down. It still might be better with the screws run in from the top also.
More on thoughts of just routing out the whole area and gluing in a nice block of hard maple. Probably the best solution.
Thank you for your input.

cardinal

I've had this issue before and the consensus from two guys (Phil Jacoby and Larry Smoak) was to route out the area, glue in a piece of maple, and put the studs into the maple. But it's worth seeing if the glue will hold or, if not, trying that retainer bar, right? Can always route later.

Trending Topics