• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I cut my nuts...

Boggs

...on all my guitars to .009 fret clearance at the first fret. Play like buttuh with no buzz! :)

LReese

It's great to have low clearance at the nut to have the action low as possible and good intonation, but there is a flip side in my little bit of experience. I can dig into the strings a little better when the string height is a little higher at the nut.

Garygtr

Almost as good!
Gold Supporting Member
I can dig into the strings a little better when the string height is a little higher at the nut.
I agree, I have a hard time bending notes in the lower registers if the nut is too low, plus I do some agressive chickin' pickin' type stuff that will cause too much rattle. YMMV of course.

phantasm

Can anyone suggest a good (but cheap) set of files to do this? I'm lousy at it- but, i don't have the proper tools either.

Boggs

My gift to you... :D I have no problem bending on lower frets. My hands are like bear paws though from all the woodworking (another unfortunate choice of term...). :D

Boggs

Actually, as a lone guitarist in my band, I often find doing covers that I use a capo to free me from having to barre so often and it leaves me free to embellish the root chords with lead fills by transposing. Using a capo with higher string clearance at the nut causes tuning issues in those situations particularly when capoing at the first fret... Low clearance solves that. Intonation is greatly improved. I do not have any buzz issues. If I develop them over time that neck relief cannot solve, I will remove the nut and shim or shave the base of it down a bit more and shim. Not a problem at all for me to do. I like higher clearance for tapping dynamics, but overall the intonation improvement (expecially for someone as ham-fisted as I am) is greatly improved. It is also very impressive to hand the guitar to someone for demonstration purposes and have it so light to touch to play. If I cut one for a customer, of course, it would be to the customer's likeness.

Trending Topics