I dare you - What's the best-sounding amp you've ever played?

Alamous

My 57’ Magnatone 260! Smooth mids and nice ”rusty” highs with single coils. pitch shifting vibrato is simply amazibg and a nice growl when pushed to overdrive.

My best ever live sound was when I was running two of those simultaneously and the band was able to play gigs in venues that enabled me to run the amps a bit hotter. No one else over here had a tone like mine

Alan Dunn

Carr Rambler. I couldn't hand over the $4100 fast enough [Australian dollars and a 240v version].
Almost three years on and I haven't even considered another amp - most likely never will.

orpheo

The best I have ever played on:

My old Voodoo-amps modded JCM800 2210 scores very high, but I'm still thinking that my Revv Generator 120 is as close to perfect as an amp can be.

Cokeman

I like my Aiken Invader. When I played my Standard 22 through it, I could play a cord and it would fade into controlled feedback that went on forever. Very cool.

My 66 Vibro Champ sounds exactly like Suzie Q from CCR.

I also had a JCM 800 2210 that I really liked.

bigtone23

No question, my 60w Mesa MKIIC+ combo. It has the EQ, but no reverb. No confirmation bias at play here, It does everything I need, want and love about guitar amps. It had me from day 1 when I picked it up in 1992 and had no idea what it really was.
A close 2nd is my Simulclass Red Stripe MKIII head with EQ and Reverb. It gets really similar tones and feels as the IIC+ with the benefit of switchable power levels and EL34 in the class A sockets for more tonal variety.

ErichA

Gold Supporting Member
My THD BiValve 30 with the oversized 1x12 cab I designed and built for it. (Loaded w/ a Celestion G12K-85)
It’s so touch sensitive, notes bloom like morning glories.
It’s a brilliant sensation listening to big bottle breakup, with all the natural harmonics in their fullness.

I gotta go... I hear it calling me again.

Lester Tele

Two Amps..

Marshall Mini-Jubilee paired with a DS-1

Mesa Boogie California Tweed paired with a nice OD.

Both for completely different uses....but equally "Best" for what I need them for.

skullfunkerry

I know people will laugh at this, but I really don't care: Orange Dark Terror. Every time I plugged that bad boy in it made me grin - even more so when I used to wipe the smirks off people's faces as I set up before a gig; I had it before lunchbox amps were as widely known as they are now and it used to look ridiculously tiny next to everyone else's heads. Add to that the fact that I don't look like a typical metal dude and that first massive chord used to surprise quite a lot of people :D

xti@n

Not sure if the Kemper Profiler has been mentioned here before. You may or may not consider it an amp, I stopped pondering about this question after trying the powered (!) version connected to a decent guitar cab.
I have played and owned a lot of amps over the years and still have a small collection of Marshalls, Mesa Marks and Fenders including two Brownface combos from the early 60s. Long story short I have never played anything as inspiring as the Kemper Power Rack. Marshall Plexi, JCM800, Fender Twin, Roland Jazz Chorus, Bogner Friedman, Boogie, ... you name it, all from one device. With the right profiles all their sweet spots are scalable to whatever volume you need in a given situation, large stage, club, studio. Touch sensitive to an extent I haven't thought possible and without smoothening out even small differences between guitars and pickups. Tube or digital, this is hands down the best guitar sound I have heard so far. And we haven't even talked about missing hiss or buzz from single coil guitars, built-in effects and all the incredible versatility.
My tube amps won't go but I haven't taken them out to any live or studio gig ever since.

pilowiel

The best amp that I’ve actually played is my Komet 60 watts. Made me realize how sloppy of a player I really was too.

burner

No way I can narrow it down to THE best.
BUT, I can list a few that were very special...as in, extraordinary examples of whatever particular model it was.

-a particular Randall RG80H that will hang withand often EAT jxm800s for lunch.
(I like them but most cant brag that hard)
-A fender twin reverb or two
-Fender vibrolux reverb
-National 2x10 combo
-1951 Oahu 1x8"
-59 5e3 deluxe
59 2x10 super...this was THE tweed to end all tweed, fr fr.!!!

ENA

Well,

I really like my Custom Audio OD100 Standard Plus.
I also liked the CAE Preamp + Mesa 2:90. also played Mesa Triaxis + 2:90 for many years
And I was impressed by the small Victory RK50 Lunchbox head + matching cab.

The Marshall YJM 100 was also great. Should have kept it.

I think there are lots of great amps out there and it is possible to get a great sound without spending 3k.

G7flat5

Depending in the genre
Vintage Brown Concert with PAF s, Tweed Champ/DeLuxe, original Boogie Mk1
For new amps Carol Ann, Two Rock, Vintage47, various PRS

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
It is context dependent, guitar dependent, and I can find fault with any amp. The best sounding in a mix is a bit brash played alone, the sweetest played at home lacks presence in the mix, the amp that has a perfect bottom end with Tele or Dynasonic pickups is a bit too wooly with humbuckers, etc.

That said some of my favorites are D13 JRT 9/15, Matchless Brave and Chieftain, Carr Viceroy.

Yes I know it depends on what you're looking for, or what you call best.

That's why I dare you to tell me, "What's the best-sounding amp you've ever played?"

:)
Music Man "Sixty Five" .. Love those things .. Not "65" .. Big difference

The "Sixty Five" sounds great and .. Deeear Lorrrd are they ever loud

K-Line

Vendor
Early 80's Fender Princeton Reverb II with all old RCA tubes and Eminence Wizard speaker. Still own it and will go to my grave with me.

Top Bottom