I de-comboed my Suhr Badger (new headshell) and want to cover the hole where the amp faceplate was..

big jilm

Hey, all -

My back has gotten tired of hauling my Suhr Badger combo around, so I took the amp out of the combo and put it in a headshell. What I would like to do is get a piece of gold plexi material to screw inside the combo cab to cover the hole where the amp faceplate used to be (see the bottom cab in the picture below).

I really dig how tall the stack is now, I would just like to make the cab look nicer. Anyone know where I can get something like that?

I guess I could call Suhr, but it seems like they might be kinda busy to do something like that.

Maybe a piece of black tolexed wood would work, too. Any ideas?

big jilm

I would go with plywood and tolex. Easy and cheap.
Thanks for the reply. That may be the easiest option. I have never applied tolex before, though. If I could get a plexi panel to match the one on the amp head, I think it would look nice. I'm hoping somebody has a lead on how to get one?

handtrix

I have a Badger 18w married to a Celestion Gold ext. cab for one of my rig's. IIRC Husky sells his with Vintage 30's.
1st choice for me when choosing a 1x12 or 2x12 would be if (the circuit) is available other than in a combo. I can always use the head with any cab or speaker config for achieving desirable tones, and
that it is also easy on my back, where I appreciate that after a long night of gigging.

Looking at the combo, why not cut a thin, yet rigid veneer on the outside. Velcro or affix to the entire faceplate and not just behind the control route ?

big jilm

I have a Badger 18w married to a Celestion Gold ext. cab for one of my rig's. IIRC Husky sells his with Vintage 30's.
1st choice for me when choosing a 1x12 or 2x12 would be if (the circuit) is available other than in a combo. I can always use the head with any cab or speaker config for achieving desirable tones, and
that it is also easy on my back, where I appreciate that after a long night of gigging.

Looking at the combo, why not cut a thin, yet rigid veneer on the outside. Velcro or affix to the entire faceplate and not just behind the control route ?
That sounds like too much work for me! I think I may just get a strip of plywood and paint it black... we'll see.
I agree about heads vs combos - I really like the idea of a combo, but if it's heavy, I need to go with the easier to carry head at this point in my back's lifespan!

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Seriously, plywood and tolex, easy peasy and it will look better than a blank expanse of plexi. Plus the wood/tolex will be less likely to give you any acoustic buzz problems than plastic.

Unless you can find an automatic taco dispenser that would fit in that slot, because that'd be cool...

Trending Topics